• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Air Con Always On

Sorry if this is the wrong section but I'm after some advice.

I moved my temp dial down to the blue on the heater today and found something quite strange.

It was ice cold! Not just cool but AC cool.

I then tried it with the AC button on and found no change. I thought it could be the fact I had it on the windscreen setting, so I moved it to just blow in your face and found it to be still ice cold with the AC button off.

It's as if the AC is always on.

Any one got a clue why it's like this?

Have a look at your air con compressor clutch, Make sure its cutting in and out. sometimes the relay can stick causing it to stay on. It will also drain the battery as it stays energized with ignition off.

Thanks for the advice jonep3 and your first post too.

Any tips on how to check or should I just get it checked out.

i would check to see if pushing the button makes engine drop in revs or makes lights flicker. you can defenetly hear it engaging when the button is pressed.

No noticeable difference apart from the AC light comes on.

I'll go and double check at lunch, try it with the bonnet open.

Just a thought but if it's drawing air in from outside, the way the weather is at the moment it's not exactly boiling, could just be ice cold because the weather is cold mate.

I had mine on the other day because I like to run it now and again (otherwise the seals perish) and it didnt really change temp wise

Just a thought but if it's drawing air in from outside, the way the weather is at the moment it's not exactly boiling, could just be ice cold because the weather is cold mate.

I had mine on the other day because I like to run it now and again (otherwise the seals perish) and it didnt really change temp wise

I'm going to try checking for error codes using the self-diagnosis function and see if I get any codes.

Then wait for the weather to get a bit better and check again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought AC was a drain on MPG and power?

It does but it's not enough to worth worrying over, I prefer to be comfortable than save 2p on every tank.

Plus if you start to think like that then you best not use anything electrical either as it all uses extra fuel.... stereo, electric windows, lights, heated rear screen, windscreen wipers..... all increase fuel consumption.

I was under the impression that you use a percentage of the engines performance when a/c is on?

Something like 5+%

on the subject of penny pinching, a guy on another forum i go on drives around at night or in dusk in towns with his side lights on only. not to look cool because he bought some super radical sidelight bulbs, its to save the associated petrol/battery power from not having his full lights on.

we have a winner.

on the subject of penny pinching, a guy on another forum i go on drives around at night or in dusk in towns with his side lights on only. not to look cool because he bought some super radical sidelight bulbs, its to save the associated petrol/battery power from not having his full lights on.

we have a winner.

I was given a lift from melton mowbray (avoid) up to manchester by a guy who, on the hottest day in decades during 2006 wouldn't put the AC on, AND wouldn't open the window due to the increase in drag. Complete t*t - one of these people that would never spend a penny of his wages then buy a small terrace outright at the age of 27. loser

I don't like the way this thread is going, I'm not that tight ;)

I ran the diagnostics and it didn't show any errors so I'm just going to wait for a warmer day and try it again.

Cheers for your help guys.

If you look at your air con compressor with engine running you should see the clutch cutting in and out. If its staying on all the time you have a problem which 99% of the time is the relay in the under bonnet fuse box. If you have no problems with your battery going flat it's probably not worth paying for a garage to look at it. If you do get a flat battery that's the first place i would look. Hope this helps.

Well that warmer day finally came!

It looks like the air con isn't working.

My first thought was to take it to Kwik Fit and try the 10% colder or your money back but after reading a few posts on here I'm thinking again.

Where would you guys suggest for an air con top up?

CoolCarAirCon come up in Google and they have a banner at the top of the forum. Has anyone tried them?

Have it serviced IMO if it has ran out completely then I would have the whole lot. A local garage to me is going to charge £40

Sounds as though it has run out from when it was on constantly! Did you manage to get it fixed?

Back