• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cosmic Grey EP3 Honda Machine - Project minty mint OEM

A few more updates tonight. I have been carrying out a major service on it, and managed to do the oil at the weekend as you saw above. Also bought myself some OEM sparks plugs from Cox Motorsport Parts and Gearbox oil. Changed out the plugs tonight, and will do the Gearbox oil at the weekend. Also ordered a magnetic Gearbox plug from Tegiwa so hopefully that arrives tomorrow in time for Saturday.

Pics as follows:

Parts:

R0019049_zps83007147.jpg

Close up of the Plug:

R0019052_zps6e54de05.jpg

Getting started on removal of the old ones:

R0019054_zps1816dd07.jpg

Mans gotta have the right tools for the job!

R0019056_zps33844618.jpg

Old vs New - as you can see the old ones were haggard and definitely needed changing!

R0019058_zps90384a82.jpg

New one with some Loctite Copper Grease to be applied to the thread before fitment:

R0019060_zps2755c67a.jpg

Copper grease applied and ready to be fitted. Hand tight first of all:

R0019061_zps108379f8.jpg

Halfords Spark Plug Socket and Snap On extension bar - essential for getting down the the depth of where the plug screws in. And no that is not a pair of the wifes dirty knickers in the background!:

R0019062_zps41e232d5.jpg

Hand tight first. No big watches here, just an old man hand on a young mans body! :mrgreen:

R0019064_zps55588e40.jpg

Once that was done I just nipped them up tight with the Rachet - job done. Then refitted the coil cover bolts.

When only the best will do:

R0019065_zpsad5c8452.jpg

Mileage at the this service interval:

R0019066_zpsc31f8a5c.jpg

Will get some OEM pollen filters finally, around the end of the month and fit them, that will be her service complete then.

Hopefully my Yokohama AD08's will arrive too - I am really looking forward to getting those!![/img]

Will get some OEM pollen filters finally, around the end of the month and fit them, that will be her service complete then.

Hopefully my Yokohama AD08's will arrive too - I am really looking forward to getting those!!

Starting to make some progress on it now, hope you like it.

Lewis

It's a good feeling when you start to see the end result, you can enjoy it then knowing everything has been done.

Lew, are you keeping the exhaust oem as well or will you be looking to fit some neat crisp after market system?

Thanks lads! :D I do love my tools too. I spent years with **** tools and a tool bag and honestly it's the best thing I've done buying the right tools for the job. Makes it easier and actually enjoyable to work on the car.

Breed - I was thinking OEM but the more I see modified Hondas the more tempted I am to mess with mine. If anything is be more interested in performance than looks. The problem is I'm not sure I like the look of standard cars with a different exhaust. If it's lowed and on wheels then fine. Hard to explain. I think I will lower it 15mm on eibachs, progress ARB, good tyres, FRSU, then just leave the exhaust as is. Maybe a better b pipe but that's it.

Sam from Jamsport took me out in his turbo'd one yesterday and the speed of it was insane....the only thing I can liken it to is being in a computer game lol!!! Crazy sh*t. Now mine feels slow :( I went up there as he offered to check my TPS. I know from ages ago as he was into pugs too. He adjusted it for me and the slight hesitation seems to have gone so that's good. I would recommend him to anyone, super chilled smart professional lad, knows his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice progress, you remind me a lot of myself with cars. Also agree with the snapon tools, I have quite a lot now and they are a pleasure to use.
Did you used to use Saxp years ago, I seem to have a memory of your name and avatar?

Just read your thread mate. Looks great and you have given me some ideas.

Was hoping you could help me with something as I know you have installed an original gear stick. My type r came with the original knob but i replaced it with another design because it didn't quite have the right fittings and the metal sleeve under it rattled on its shaft. I think what was missing was the nut that I have seen on many pictures but did not come with mine. Basically how did you exactly fit the original knob and do yuo know where I can buy this mystery nut? I hope that makes sense. Haha

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read your thread mate. Looks great and you have given me some ideas.

Was hoping you could help me with something as I know you have installed an original gear stick. My type r came with the original knob but i replaced it with another design because it didn't quite have the right fittings and the metal sleeve under it rattled on its shaft. I think what was missing was the nut that I have seen on many pictures but did not come with mine. Basically how did you exactly fit the original knob and do yuo know where I can buy this mystery nut? I hope that makes sense. Haha

Thanks

There is a captive nut under the gearstick that twists on to the base of the gearstick. You would be able to buy another on ebay or from Lings Honda parts perhaps? The gator has a loose washer at the top and this is a loose fit around the shaft - this is normal.

Forgot to update this last weekend. Changed the gearbox oil, almost there with the full service now. Will change pollen filters at the end of the month then i'll be done.

Pics:

New oil and washers:

R0019072_zpse4f7ea3f.jpg

Emptying out the old oil. And no, that is not a crack in my gearbox casing it's just a molding mark! :D

R0019070_zpsd3ed8b4b.jpg

Not too bad really. It was changed fairly recently when the clutch was changed, but wanted to be sure everything was spot on and Gearbox oil isn't particularly expensive:

R0019082_zps6459802b.jpg

Old washers on the plugs removed, new ones in the bag. What Tegiwa didn't tell me is that the fill plug is a 20mm washer and the drain plug is a 14mm washer, so a useful tip to anyone changing out their oil!!

R0019074_zps82155b93.jpg

Fill plug on the right, drain plug on the left:

R0019075_zpsc7d23d2d.jpg

New washer in place. Popped the drain plug back in before filling with new oil:

R0019077_zps55764abf.jpg

DIY device for pouring in the new gearbox oil:

R0019071_zpsa535e2b5.jpg

In action:

R0019078_zps46c6e125.jpg

R0019079_zpsedaf58cd.jpg

This took AGES as the oil flowed so slowly down the tube and into the transmission:

R0019080_zps600d4826.jpg

Going in:

R0019081_zps0b03e9a2.jpg

Mileage at transmission oil change:

R0019084_zpsa3a3040c.jpg

Paperwork updated for the folder:

R0019085_zps5eab2864.jpg

That's all for now. Think my new Yoko's will arrive end of the month so they should be fitted soonish. Also pollen filters to be done as mentioned above. Also may get a new gearstick assembly as there is play in mine (the big white plastic ball that the shaft runs through), not a lot but it's something that I notice when driving and as changing gear is so pleasurable in this car I want it to be spot on. Will update as and when this lot gets sorted!

Lewis

Few more updates today. I sorted a few small jobs that i'd been meaning to do for a while. I had a small tear in the rear seat which was bugging me, so I sewed it up. Doesn't look too bad now and it was cheaper than spending £50 on another bench!

Also got a Mugen Airbox for a great price, and it's like new. So got that fitted. Feels a tiny bit different to the OEM box. Not sure if it's slightly less torquey (made up word), but it sounds great on VTEC and pulls well so I wll hold onto it for now. Just need a sticker for the top as the original one wasn't included in the kit. I also applied all the heat resistant foil tape to the underside and back. Did quite a neat job of it so pleased with that. I will take some photo's of it fitted in the bay and upload in a few days time.

And finally, got 4 new tyres, the new Yokohama AD08R's. Got them fitted last night and pretty pleased with them so far.

Pics as follows:

Seat tear:

R0019105_zps96bc12b6.jpg

Tools for the job!

R0019106_zps655880e0.jpg

All done:

R0019108_zps0ab1583e.jpg

Mugen Airbox kit:

R0019109_zps906779b0.jpg

R0019110_zpsa7567393.jpg

R0019112_zps20479223.jpg

R0019113_zps1d139d10.jpg

R0019115_zps502f1dd8.jpg

Foil tape applied:

R0019122_zps0df07fc3.jpg

R0019123_zpsfc6f6c87.jpg

Only two pics of fitting it so far as it was getting dark. Fitted the scoop onto the lower intake hose and cable tied it on just to keep it super secure (it is already a very tight fit):

R0019125_zpsf6dac651.jpg

Trimmed nicely without any sharp edges left:

R0019126_zps5d47b847.jpg

New Yokohama Tyres:

R0019117_zps58e4b875.jpg

R0019119_zps0aac3e4c.jpg

Detail:

R0019121_zps06aca21a.jpg

R0019120_zps707b1c00.jpg

All fitted and car cleaned again!

R0019132_zps8b955ae8.jpg

R0019133_zps19f78cd9.jpg

R0019129_zps8cdabb2b.jpg

R0019127_zps7425c427.jpg

Few comments on the tyres. Got them fitted last night and it was absolutely LASHING it down. I drove home very carefully! The roads had a lot of standing as well as flowing water on them. However, the tyres felt good and dispersed water quite effectively through the channels. I didn't go hooning through any water but at a sensible speed they were fine, and gripped well too.

Today I took the car for a jet wash to remove the excessive grime before I hand washed it at home. I gave it a right good spank to test the new tyres. Impressions are, bang for buck wise, they are pretty decent. They are a LOT more expensive than the Parada's I had previously, almost twice the price per corner. Turn in feels maybe a mite sharper with the AD08's, but I can't honestly say the difference is night and day. Perhaps they need to be worn in more first. They are however MUCH better in the wet, and really do stick well and just keep on gripping when cornering very hard, especially in the dry, and don't break away as easily as the Parada's. I took a roundabout very quickly today and it sweeps around quite a long corner and the tyres just stuck all the way through the turn and did not want to break away. Inspire a lot of confidence! They do need to be warm before this sort of driving though! Also no squeal which is good!

Aesthetically (I know this isn't important for most people!) I think I prefer the design of the Parada's, but I will get used to these new ones.

Considering the price hike over the Parada's, while I am impressed, I am not certain the additional cost was entirely worth (it in my individual case). They are an excellent tyre, but for day to day driving and hard driving in the dry, I think for the price I would go with Parada's again, and just live with their poo wet weather performance and slightly softer sidewall. That's not to say i'm not pleased with the AD08R's, they are very good and offer superb grip, I just think I was expecting them to feel slightly sharper on turn in like the Toyo R888's I have used in the past. I do need to sort the geometry and tracking on the car still, so this is probably more to do with it than the tyre itself. Otherwise they're excellent and i'm pleased with them! Mixed review but I hope you catch my drift!

Final thing I notice about the tyres, they actually improve the ride quality! The car feels a LOT less crashy over pot holes (roads are crap around here) and they are actually quiter too, and you get less road noise in the cabin. This I was impressed with. I would recommend them to anyone serious about performance, and anyone who is thinking of taking their car on track, but for normal day to day stuff perhaps you may want to consider something slightly cheaper.

I have spent a bit more than I should this month, so will be a while until I carry out another big update I think!

Thanks pal. She is getting there. I still have some bits id like to improve. Trying to resist spending money on it but it's hard as I really like it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know that feeling lol.
They are mega car's keep up the good work bud

Know that feeling lol.
They are mega car's keep up the good work bud

Haha, yes they are great machines alright!

I have scrubbed the new yoko's in a bit now and given them more of a thorough test. I confirm they are very very good!! Just keep on sticking on long sweeping turns and make the car very controllable/predictable. They get my recommendation. :cool: Much better than the Parada's ignore what I said above ^

A few more updates this weekend. Bought a few more bolts to replace some rusted ones in the bay (bonnet catch retaining bolts), as well as a new bracket and bolts to hold the airbox lower intake pipe in place.

I also managed to finally get a few pics of the Mugen Airbox! When I bought it there was no sticker, so I got one of the guys on the forum to make one for me (thanks) and put that on also. Looks complete now.

Pics as follows:

New parts:

R0019139_zpse4b6a36c.jpg

Old rusty bonnet catch bolts:

R0019141_zps81af6edf.jpg

Replacements:

R0019142_zps17729bff.jpg

Had to dig out the mini 1/4'' ratchet to undo the lower one, it was tricky to access. I love good tools!

R0019146_zpsa0d60182.jpg

New ones fitted:

R0019147_zpsc596b97b.jpg

Old haggard intake hose retaining bracket (looks worse in the next photo on):

R0019148_zps1556a481.jpg

Old vrs new:

R0019149_zpsae067070.jpg

And fitted:

R0019151_zps7c8ee036.jpg

And finally some pics of the new Airbox in place:

R0019152_zps2a7a88b6.jpg

And some more the following day in daylight:

R0019173_zps36901fc0.jpg

R0019174_zps5d91ba72.jpg

R0019175_zps2abec68e.jpg

Really happy with the car now. Still a few more bits to do but slowly getting close to how I want it to look. I enjoy it every time I drive it. I look forward to driving it! The tyres have made a huge difference and are definitely a good investment.

Next jobs will be as follows:

1. New brake discs all round
  2. New front passenger headlight, as mine is misted up!
  3. Progress/JDM uprated rear anti roll bar
  4. Front camber bolts
  5. Adjustable rear arms
  6. Full Geometry set up - 4 wheel alignment (Fast Road Set Up)
  7. Wheel refurb
  8. Remove a few of the dings I have
  9. New rear 'H' badge
  10. Get valve clearances checked

Would also like some newer seats but not really an urgent requirement. I also fancy a private plate but that's another unnecessary extravagance! I am sure I will think of a few other things i'd like to sort, but that's the medium/long term list above.

Got say your cars coming along well your doin a good job just a quick question when you put the k&n filter in did it make any difference from standard air filter and does it give it more of a roar?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

very very nice, my favourite is Milano Red but i was so tempted by the cosmic grey. I almost bought one, very nice example you have there and I love the OME original look..nice car

Back