• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cosmic Grey EP3 Honda Machine - Project minty mint OEM

Hello all, bit of delay getting a blog going on this but I thought i'd better get to it! It's a long one - sorry!

After hankering after a Type R for a while, I recently sold my Audi S3 and spent ages trying to find a decentish EP2 or EP3 type R for the right money, one which hadn't been thrashed or chavved or generally ruined (a seemingly impossible task!)

After viewing some right haggard old dogs, I eventually found a 2005 Cosmic Grey one which was in pretty good condition considering the age and mileage. Hell, the owner had even run a sponge over it before my arrival which was unusual, most didn't bother their ar*e! Although the mileage was quite high (103k), it was a 2005 model and had been fitted with a recent new clutch. I bought it off a nice chap called Steve in Northampton, coincidentally he was a member on the other forum which I didn't realise at the time. His original build thread is located here:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?87761-cosmic-grey-05-and-its-mine-mine-mine-)

It had a slight blow in the exhaust from the manifold area, and a few dings, so I was able to bargain with the price and get him down a little. I thought it would be an easy fix and he even included some new bolts and springs. However, nothing is ever easy with cars and I should've realised this! :p

The plan is to get it back to as mint and original as possible. I already have a 106 Rallye track car which is seriously modified, so this is my fun but practical daily whip. I only drive 8 miles each way to work, so it shouldn't be TOO thirsty. While not quite as savagely fast as the Audi on motorways, it's more fun and 'immediate' as there's no turbo lag. It also handles the rubbish roads round here and is less crashy than the S3. It's fast enough for me as it is!

I plan to sort mechanics first and the cosmetic issues later (although I have done a few things already as it messes with my OCD!) :lol:

Quick run down of issues from when I bought it:

1) Exhaust blow - which I knew about
2) Rear bumper has had some paint on the corner in the past, not perfect but not too bad
3) Few parking dings which I plan to sort eventually
4) Wheels are good overall but I would like to refurb eventually
5) Front under tray has come off slightly so will need replacing (caught on a low kerb at some point so I was told)
6) Gearknob was a bit scratched up - to be expected with the age/mileage
7) Steering Wheel worn - as above
8) Brake discs will need to be replaced soon
9) Tyres were cheap ass mickey mouse brand - already replaced with two front Yoko Parada's - rear to come soon
10) Think I have the dreaded input shaft bearing issue too, but it's not that bad at present so will be sorted as and when
11) Paint peel to rocker cover, will get it painted in OEM wrinkle red by one of the boys on the forum
12) Some wear to the front seats, so MAY swap out with some premier edition ones or even just standard EP3 ones in better condition at some point, but that's on the long finger for now!
13) Was fitted with a PiperX induction kit which I swiftly removed (although it did sound good!) and replaced it with the existing airbox which was a bit scratched up so I bought a brand new top for it from Honda :oops:

Overall I am getting through it and starting to feel happier about the car. So far I have done the following:

1) 'New' used OEM manifold off ebay as the bolts were rusted to buggery so was easier to swap out the whole thing
2) New centre section - the old one snapped off with rust a week into ownership! :roll:
3) New Manifold heat sheild and gaskets and bolts from Honda
4) New air box lid from Honda
5) New bolts to replace various rusted ones in the bay
6) Painted various brackets back to satin black in the bay, will replace other bits that have rusted with new bits from Honda too
7) K&N Air filter for the OEM airbox. It already had the Hondata Airbox mod to the internal base which was handy!
8) New Gearknob to replace the scratched up one - bargain refurbed one off ebay, looks brand new!
9) Managed to get a new steering wheel too, well used but it had been in storage for years so is like new and OEM too :bigthumb:

The exhaust job turned out to be a total f*cking ar*eache as all the bolts had rusted on so I had to replace them all and take the whole system off and drill all the old one's out in order to retain the OEM CAT and save buying another. It was a fairly big job but got it all done without too much bother, just a few evenings after work and lots of swearing! :bad-words: Also had the dreaded heat shield rattle after I had put it all back on, so had to take off the driveshaft heat shield and flatten the bolts with a hammer. I kinda feel like since I got it i've had all the common faults rear their head, but I enjoy the car a lot and plan to keep it for a while so want to sort everything on it and use it. That way I know I have addressed all the problems and won't be worried about the 'what ifs'. I was a bit gutted Steve didn't fit a new input shaft bearing when he fit the new OEM clutch and release bearing, as he had everything out to do the clutch but nevermind, that's life!

Sorry for the epistle, here are the photos of the work so far. I haven't been able to take a nice one of the whole car clean yet but will do ASAP.

First job was take all the wheels off and clean them properly:

R0018864_zps15ca192d.jpg

Then buy a load of bits and bobs from Lings Honda:

R0018869_zpsdc8d87ec.jpg

R0018888_zps387eb37f.jpg

R0018868_zps6ce675d6.jpg

R0018874_zps4c328432.jpg

R0018873_zps18eee8d2.jpg

R0018882_zps75c84ff4.jpg

Then tackle the exhaust (only took a few pics as I was stressed doing this!):

R0018872_zps0f51bfd6.jpg

R0018870_zps00809dcc.jpg

A few of the old bolts that had been drilled / hacked off - this was a nightmare but got there in the end!

R0018883_zpsb1263df2.jpg

The old heat shield over the manifold had eroded too so I replaced that:

R0018878_zpse865383b.jpg

Removed:

R0018880_zpsf3550d0d.jpg

New one:

R0018881_zps4b5da67c.jpg

Fitted:

R0018879_zps5cc71803.jpg

With the exhaust sorted I got on to a few bitty jobs such as bolts swapping and painting bits and bobs in the bay, also fitted the new K&N air filter:

New headlight reatining bolts, before:

R0018877_zpsf09999d3.jpg

After:

R0018885_zps21f260aa.jpg

New retaining clip for the air sensor (new vs old below):

R0018882_zps75c84ff4.jpg

Fitted:

R0018910_zps775eb476.jpg

New Air Filter:

R0018889_zpsc01c91b1.jpg

R0018890_zps33df3887.jpg

Hondata Airbox Mod:

R0018892_zps3f563481.jpg

Fitted:

R0018894_zpsf4d4e48e.jpg

Warning sticker applied in bay next to the other info stickers:

R0018896_zps797bf53b.jpg

Sorting the drive shaft heat shield out:

R0018902_zpsbeb7a793.jpg

Removed:

R0018901_zps8c962d48.jpg

Hammer these buggers flat:

R0018903_zps2e814829.jpg

Tarting up a few of the little retaining clips for the rocker breather pipe, I also painted the throttle cable bracket but no pics:

R0018904_zpsf0f483c6.jpg

All back together:

R0018906_zps45d66799.jpg

Bought some 'obligatory JDM reservoir socks!' :lol: Used to think these were ridiculous but when you understand their purpose it does make sense, as there is marks to my rocker cover where fluid has leaked onto it in the past:

R0018911_zps6a2446f1.jpg

New Gearknob:

R0018865_zps195d692b.jpg

R0018866_zpsdc76b9ee.jpg

Fitted:

R0018867_zpsce3dd096.jpg

Fitting the new steering wheel. This is the old worn one in situe:

R0018913_zps44bab416.jpg

R0018914_zps22f0991d.jpg

Removal of the old one, was easy until it came to pulling it off which was a pig of a job, it was properly welded on, but brute force and persistence prevailed and I got the ba*tard off in the end! :mrgreen:

Airbag out first after disconnecting the battery:

R0018919_zps78f71eb8.jpg

Removed:

R0018921_zps2420df46.jpg

'New' one, nice dull finish to the leather still once I had cleaned it up with Dr Leather cleaner (great stuff):

R0018915_zps47be1b67.jpg

Stitching in good nick still:

R0018916_zps3cfb0083.jpg

Old vs new:

R0018922_zps665c1369.jpg

Fitted:

R0018923_zps1927142c.jpg

New front tyres:

R0018926_zpse134645f.jpg

Gave her a good clean and polish the other day but it rained and got dark before I could take good photos (damn winter) but she is beading up nicely in this poxy rain:

R0018927_zpsfc7b843d.jpg

Plans for the next few months are as follows:

1) Matching pair of Yokohama Parada's for the rear (next month)
2) Brand new OEM Honda discs all round
3) Engine and Gearbox Oil change and fitment of magnetic sump plug
4) New OEM Honda Type R mat set
5) Full paint correction and detail as soon as the weather isn't turd!

That's all for now, thanks for reading and sorry it;s so biblically long!

Lewis

Last edited by a moderator:
You got yourself a nice motor my friend and all the changes your doing look awesome:) Just out of interest what was the performance like on the Audi S3?

Cheers guys. Still some work to do but she is getting closer to how I want it to look at lest :)

The S3 was remapped so about 260 so was super fast, but it had a bit of lag and the engine was a sea of pipes and vacuum devices so I kinda wasn't sure on keeping it in case anything broke. Quite a complicated beast to repair in comparison to the Honda. S3 was better built but I just fancied a change, and the Honda doesn't rattle too much to be fair, it screwed together quite well. The main thing I do notice is the road noise is a lot greater in the Honda, but it kinda adds to the overall feeling of being in touch with the car. I like it! :)

Few more updates. Got my refreshed cam cover from Paul @ Spooner Restorations, nice guy and fast delivery. I will try and get it fitted a le weekend, but here are some snaps to whet the appetite! I went for OEM wrinkle red, and although it's slightly lighter red than the current one (more like the red of my Snap On toolbox) it looks much nicer nevertheless, and will really tidy the bay when fitted.

Next plans are OEM Mats which I have already ordered, should arrive this week, then 2 new Yoko Parada tyres for the rear (possibly after xmas), new bushes and a JDM rear ARB. There is a slight knock at the front which I need to look at too. Am going to change the bushes firtst then go from there and chase it down/repair it. She is getting there now. Will try and machine polish it too soon.

Snaps of the Rocker:

New OEM gasket:

R0018993_zps36cdf9be.jpg

R0018994_zps83921ccb.jpg

R0018991_zps0cac12d3.jpg

R0018990_zps285ac748.jpg

R0018989_zps3f61b2c6.jpg

Very nice mate! i like the OEM restoration neat look you going for, i am going the same route, just taking alil longer as time is of essence. My ep3 type R is at TGM for a clutch replacement at the moment and i had that slight knock on pull away at times. They replacing an engine mount which is common apparently, hope that sorts that issue. Its my 1st Honda and i must say im enjoying it.:lol:

Breed - thanks dude. Mine had a new clutch before I bought it so I'm sure my knock is suspension. It's only over speed bumps or bigger pot holes that I notice it.

Epistle - excellent word.

A lot of love going into the car. Well done for getting so far!

Cheers mate! I do like a good bit of wordage! ;)

I got the cam cover fitted the weekend but it got dark. Also machine polished the roof. I will do more this weekend and try and get some pics up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cars coming along nice where did you get your gear knob from as im after a new one

Thanks mate. Just a random bit of luck on eBay. Guy refurbed a batch and sold them. Will try and find the link for you. New ones are like 75 sheets!! And didn't want a cheap ass copy.

Yea Lew, looking forward to seeing some pics of your engine bay with the restored valve cover. Gave Paul a call today to order myself one, probably for after xmas as he has a bit of work on right now. Seen some of his previous work, he does a great job.

Let us know what you find on the knocking noise.....drop links?.....rack ends?

Yea Lew, looking forward to seeing some pics of your engine bay with the restored valve cover. Gave Paul a call today to order myself one, probably for after xmas as he has a bit of work on right now. Seen some of his previous work, he does a great job.

Let us know what you find on the knocking noise.....drop links?.....rack ends?

Cheers bro. It flew through the MOT and the track rods look fine so I'm thinking it's either top mounts, ARB bushes (drop links are new, well one is and I disconnected the other and drove it for a whole and it still knocked so ruled those out), or possible ball joints. I only get the knock over speed bumps but it sounds heinous. Even on bad roads and holes etc it doesn't really do it.

MOT flying colors!!! Good Show Mate:D......yes, i know how a noise can get to you while you driving untill you pull your hair out:confused:.....well at-least you canceled out the ARB links...hopefully its not anything to serious and not to hard to find. Check those rack ends anyway, as they are attached to the shocks themselves and if they have play then they could cause noise on up-down motion over the speed bumps. You could just cancel them out 1 by 1 as you go along, its difficult to pin point a noise in the suspension sometimes.

How do you find that OEM intake box modification with K&N filter setup?

I had a knock on my car on bad roads and speed bumps that was a loose bolt on the rear engine mount mate..after change the clutch..try to find a elevator and check for some loosen bolt..
The engine mount is this on the picture:

f7wx.jpg

:)

I had a knock on my car on bad roads and speed bumps that was a loose bolt on the rear engine mount mate..after change the clutch..try to find a elevator and check for some loosen bolt..
The engine mount is this on the picture:

f7wx.jpg

:)

Thanks dude I will check that out then too while I'm looking under it.

Back