• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 restoration - track project

Donington on Monday.

Tidied the engine bay by removing the torque damper, earth kit and McDonald's sticker. Plus I've ripped out the amp and cabling.

Annoying the left speaker doesn't work. I swapped them over and it stayed so the fault is at the head unit end but I'm not sure what as all cabling is good.

Oh yeah, toe eye has also been removed.

f83dde96f356567836b7819758dceb87.jpg

962d01845fc10a8ebdbcf70194e8e1ad.jpg

9b343cb9641e2e320cdf5c898fd7199e.jpg

What's the specs of the tgm brake kit? They look perfect! I'm sure it'll be a blast on track!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Oh nice.

Most likely changing it for a Mugen box instead.
GruppeM makes better gains.

May as well go Hondata mod on the OEM airbox with a bit if ducting, over and above the Mugen.

Little DC5 project. Track slut.

What's the specs of the tgm brake kit? They look perfect! I'm sure it'll be a blast on track!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

F50 calipers, 330mm floating discs and custom bells. The discs are either Brembo or AP, I can't remember.

GruppeM makes better gains.

May as well go Hondata mod on the OEM airbox with a bit if ducting, over and above the Mugen.
I personally think that it's a myth. Lads on the Teg forum have had both and think the Mugen is a better intake. Also beating the Gruppe M on dyno's etc.

I'm looking at changing primarily because it's so naffing loud. I can't hear the exhaust and people have been black flagged with the GM. Plus the scuttle rattle won't ever be cured.

Mugen is a lot different than OEM. It's carbon fibre so reflects heat better, the inside is smooth and it's a large area. Plus it takes the air from the front which is ideal compared to the ARC etc. You can nodify the grille as well so air is taken in front of the radiator.

I bet you can't wait for Monday. It will be like night & day compared to your old Evo.

I took Chris down to pick the car up on Friday from TGM (Big thanks to Willie for sorting my front mud flap!).
This teg is just as fast as my lardy arsed evo 10. I'd have him off the lights, but when moving, it's just as quick.

Looks awesome too.

Good to see the tow hook is off. There's a mimms day coming up in December. Get it listed .. should sell quick :lol:

FD2R

After picking the car up on Friday, I was relishing going out on track. Donington had been booked for some time for yesterday, so I was itching to try the DC5 out in anger. I haven't been really impressed with it on the road, but I think that's more down to me getting used to it. There's only so much you can push a car on the road after all.

I decided to travel up on the Sunday and then stop overnight in a hotel near the circuit so I'd be fully rested. Well, that didn't work because as usual I barely slept a wink in the Premier Inn. Sad face. I was however over the moon with the 38 mpg on the way up, sat at 70-80 most of the way with no VTEC.

I didn't enjoy Donington previously, as it was a wet and miserable day and I was in an S2000, which was hard work. I wasn't sure what to expect, both about the car and the circuit. It was a foggy start and the track didn't open till around 10 am, a full hour after it should have done. I went out with Kevin up front to get some heat into the new brakes, new tyres and to get a feel for the new suspension. We did a couple of quick ish laps and came in. I had dropped the pressure's to 27 all round and the rears got up to 32 and stayed there all day. I had to do another one or two sessions to get the fronts settled to the same pressures.

Sitting behind Kevin gave me a lot of confidence, he's a very quick driver with a fair amount of experience driving on circuit as well as a lot more in a DC5 on track than I have. We were soon dropping into the 1m24's (guessing here, timing isn't allowed). Traffic ended up splitting us up, Kevin broke into the 1m23's while I remained in the 1m24-1m26 area. A few more tweaks on the car and I think I could knock a few seconds off. Kevin an I run almost identical brakes, the only difference he has AP calipers and I have Brembo, but the same pads and same discs up front. Rears are just standard discs with a basic uprated pad. He's on JDM spec Ohlins and some castor mods, I'm on B16's although my car's been mapped so I have about 20 more bhp than him. Really doesn't make that much difference on circuit to be honest!

In the afternoon I was pretty much out alone and I started to really, really enjoy the car. Much more fun than my Evo and I'd say the S2000 as well. It's also easier to drive than the S2000. I love how the back end moves around and how you can turn the car on the throttle. So far I definitely think I've made the right move.

I was hit by a gear change issue in the afternoon though, I missed 4th a few times and it turns out I've bent a rod that connects to the short shifter. After a bit of faffing about I used a wrench to hammer it straight is again. That'll need investigating further as well as some other minor issues.

So far, so good than. I had really a really good laugh yesterday and I can't wait to go back out on track.

I'll get the videos edited this week and upload the best bits stuck together.

No new tyres or brakes required?

Nope, tyres and brakes all good. The discs are a bit dirty and with the grooves they make a noise when I brake, but easily cleaned up and no cracks etc. Pads still look like new.

Great turnaround with this car, Well done!

Nice write up regarding the first TD, Sounded like you enjoyed it in the end up.

Have you used the RSR's before and what did you think of them? I've tried numerous tyres including them, Just always like hearing peoples thoughts on them, Particularly in Honda's.

££££ saved there then :lol:

Indeed mate.

Great turnaround with this car, Well done!

Nice write up regarding the first TD, Sounded like you enjoyed it in the end up.

Have you used the RSR's before and what did you think of them? I've tried numerous tyres including them, Just always like hearing peoples thoughts on them, Particularly in Honda's.

Thanks. I had them on my Evo but only used them on the road. They're okay for the money. Plenty of grip and they're quick, but to me they seem to make a lot of noise doing very little and they feel a little numb on turn in. I think something like AD08R's are a better tyre, they're a little more expensive but you do get a few extra mm of tread with them.

Awesome stuff Chris. Always regret not getting track time in my Teg. Fast road stuff was always a total blast, especially the slightly floaty rear, always a treat to get a bit of lift off and just know it'll be sorted by burying the loud pedal :cool:

Cheers Darren.

Took it out today, it's a proper fun car.

Pic of the front tyre for Des.

b38deb8f4fd9edecb768bab33aa64614.jpg

Back