• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 restoration - track project

Bet you really enjoyed not having that feeling that at any moment something very expensive would break.

Chris, check out Zestino Tyres. They're a race specific but road legal Semi Slick. A lot of drifters have been using them including our team. They are a good price and hella sticky.

Got my eyes on Nankang A1-R's at the moment.

Here's a video of Donington.

[video]https://youtu.be/0zSS59KzgVI[/video]

That goes really well. Looks like you weren't messing about out there!

You can really hear the difference in the dc5 ratios, I need to find a reasonably priced dc5 box I think!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Cheers. What surprised me is how easy it is to get in and drive near the edge.

I'm editing another video at the moment, should have it up in a few days.

You looked to get straight on it. Can't wait to get a few more days in next spring now.

Looking forward to the next video. I've only done Thruxton and Abingdon so far, looking forward to a few more.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm still to edit that video. :lol:

Not a huge update but this will probably be it for this year. The car went to Performance Autoworks the other week to have some work done. I booked it in for the following:

• Oil change. Yes, it was done at TGM before the track day, but I figured I'd get it done anyway considering how long the car had been sat previously.
  • Investigate steering wheel wobble.
  • Remove steering rack, fit SHG slider and flush the fluid. It was low and I needed to top it up, but I only had Halfords fluid so I wanted Honda back in.
  • Check/adjust geo - I was a bit exuberant with the kerbs at Donington.
  • Overall health check of underneath, bushes etc.
  • Fix lights as they were bog eyed.
  • Fix EML - I read the code at home so already knew it was the O2 sensor.
  • Fit KTuned shifter cables.

First off, the lights. I drove to Donington in the dark and it was comedy, one of the headlights was pointed upwards I think and the other was pretty much a candle. It was the first time I'd driven it in the dark so I didn't have much of a choice but to continue. Luckily there was enough for me to be able to see, and for the most part the roads between mine and the hotel near the circuit are well lit. I didn't fancy taking the bumper off myself in the cold so I had Rich look at it.

20161123_112357_resized.jpg

20161123_121047_resized.jpg

20161123_121153_resized.jpg

I'll just quote Rich's email for an explanation.

Headlamps (pics attached) – I’ve sorted these as best as possible, it has non OEM HID bulbs and ballasts “installed” – I say installed but quite frankly the bulbs are too small and were just poking through the mounting hole with nothing to hold them in place. I have fabricated some adapters, bonded the bulb bases to these and then installed them using the OEM retaining clips. This is about as good as it can be, the light pattern is much better now but the lens could do with a good polish to improve things further.

I can't really add to that. I may get the headlights done next year, but having driven it in the dark the other evening, I can say that they are substantially improved! Still, not as good as I remember the OEM lights being. Sadly they are expensive and few and far between, so I think I'll leave it after a polish has been done.

Onto the wheel wobble. I'm not sure if I'd mentioned, but I was getting steering wheel wobble when I picked it up from TGM. They'd balanced the wheels so I figured a weight had come off. I took it to my local and trusted tyre place, they did it again but the problem moved to a different speed. I'd asked Rich to look into it confident it couldn't possibly be the balancing. He checked everything over and couldn't find anything. The last thing on the list was driveshafts, these can only be visually inspected so far and at over a grand for new items for Honda I decided to sleep on it. Rich suggested to get the wheels balanced again but use a stud pattern mount instead of the centre bore. So after I picked the car up I drove back to the tyre place for them to do just that. They said they always use a stud pattern mount anyway, but they also said they were quite a way out. I explained I had it done by them before so they let me on my way without charging me. I'm glad to report that the wobble has gone.

Rich said the car is in good health. It's been well serviced in its life although no paperwork exists sadly due to 'cash in hand' servicing. Doesn't bother me for the price. He did notice some corrosion though. Again I'll quote his email:

Found some corrosion and paint/underseal stripped on o/s chassis leg under brake reservoir – looks like someone had a major brake fluid spill at some point. I have cleaned off the worst of flaking rust/paint/underseal and have coated with a waxoil underseal to prevent it getting worse – I’ll forward some pics in another email

Before:

20161117_120533_resized.jpg

20161117_120553_resized.jpg

After:

20161117_141441_resized.jpg

20161117_141450_resized.jpg

I don't think there'll be many updates over the winter, I'm even tempted to SORN the car till the end of March and tuck it away in the garage after a clean.

As for plans I've been looking into the following modifications:
​ACT Stage 1 organic clutch kit.
Spoon 5.3 Final drive.
FD2/EP3 (same) 0.738 6th gear.
Kaaz plated diff.
Clockwise Motion gated baffle.

Nice cheap shopping list! I'm also looking at a polybush and a quieter intake, possibly a Mugen.

Massive thanks to Rich at Performance Autoworks for yet again outstanding work.

I restored the headlights on my old EP3, it's a doddle with the kit.

Worth buying and applying some plastic sealer once you're done, stops them going the same way as quickly.

I did mine 18 months ago Chris when I got the car resprayed , still look as good today as when I first did them. Finished them off with a UV protection sealent.

Strip it. Throw some fixed seats in. Instant racecar.
Because I have another car. I don't really want to use it with all the salt on the roads and when the weather is miserable.

Doubt I'll strip it, there isn't much weight to be saved out of a DC5 and I'd still like somewhere relatively nice to be on longer drives to Spa etc. Seats I have considered.

Nice work, Thing looks well balanced on track too! How did you find the steering slider in the end?

Because I have another car. I don't really want to use it with all the salt on the roads and when the weather is miserable.

Doubt I'll strip it, there isn't much weight to be saved out of a DC5 and I'd still like somewhere relatively nice to be on longer drives to Spa etc. Seats I have considered.

Fair enough, but it's a wrench to have a car you can't drive. You may as well keep it road legal, then at least you can take it for a spin when the red mist descends.

Seats are mandatory. Proper buckets, or even really good recliners, will transform it when you're getting a shift on. Those Buddyclubs I had were sooper comfy and not all that expensive, shame you never had a shot in them. It's totally fine for long drives, once you get used to placing everything within reach before you set off of course....

Fair enough, but it's a wrench to have a car you can't drive. You may as well keep it road legal, then at least you can take it for a spin when the red mist descends.

Seats are mandatory. Proper buckets, or even really good recliners, will transform it when you're getting a shift on. Those Buddyclubs I had were sooper comfy and not all that expensive, shame you never had a shot in them. It's totally fine for long drives, once you get used to placing everything within reach before you set off of course....
Are they not a bit tight? I was looking at Pole Positions but someone has told me they'd be useless on track as they're more of a road seat.

Back