• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 restoration - track project

From what I have read pretty much everyone who has owned an S2000 says they are unpredictable and unforgiving.

Maybe when funds allow I'll buy a cheap MX5 and learn, perhaps if I was any good at RWD car control I wouldn't have binned the S2000. :lol:
https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Definitly do it when you can, its a great car to learn in, especially when it doesnt matter if you bin it!

I wasnt expecting to enjoy the mx5 as much as I have, slow but really good fun.
Learnt some good left foot braking techniques etc to overcome understeer

Wouldnt fancy learning in an s2k though

Great save Chris, came up nicely! Great read on the opening post regarding the Evo. Are you preferring the DC5 then?

Looks great on the wheels, also, how are you getting on with the RSRs?

L.

Hi mate, thanks.

Yes, I am preferring it. The only times I miss the Evo are when it's wet or when I need straight line grunt in a low gear. Plus the surge of toque as the turbo kicks in, that was lovely. But apart from that, I prefer the DC5 in most other respects. It would cost me £10k to change this car for an Evo that I'd want now, no thanks!

I think the RS-R's are alright, not as good as AD08Rs and they can feel a bit pointy, but that could be the FWD effect of the car. However they're cheap and worked fine on track. But not really fair for me to judge as I've never driven a DC5 on AD08Rs.

Thats good to hear, i have often found myself looking at something turbo - Evo or the likes, but think i will miss the Revvy, ring the neck out of it car. I really want a DC5 so it's nice to hear this feedback.

Thanks for the info on the tyres, i think i will go for AD08s then!

Any further plans for the DC5?

As Jimbo says, MX5's are great to learn to skid in. They take a lot of work to keep moving sideways, so that then translates really well to when you move up in power. Most people who drift say that they are so hard to skid, it makes you a far better driver when you have more grunt.

Little DC5 project. Track slut.

Thats good to hear, i have often found myself looking at something turbo - Evo or the likes, but think i will miss the Revvy, ring the neck out of it car. I really want a DC5 so it's nice to hear this feedback.

Thanks for the info on the tyres, i think i will go for AD08s then!

Any further plans for the DC5?

I think every car enthusiast needs an Evo or similar in their life at some point.

As for the car, I want to get the box out and put in a plated diff, baffle the sump and get some bucket seats in the front.

As Jimbo says, MX5's are great to learn to skid in. They take a lot of work to keep moving sideways, so that then translates really well to when you move up in power. Most people who drift say that they are so hard to skid, it makes you a far better driver when you have more grunt.

Cheers. It's a fair bit down the line.

I wish I'd have got a photo this morning when she was covered.

U94D6tu.jpg

Should be taking her for a drive this afternoon.

Ah Chris, You've done me in with that picture, looks amazing mate, I've never wanted a DC5 as much as i do now after seeing that. Great work mate.

Busy few months coming up, Brands in Feb, then the Spa, 'Ring and Mimms in April. May be booking a track day in March as well. Don't worry, it's only going to Mimms for the track bit of it, I'll be slumming it in the pits.

All going well I should have a second set of wheels next week. To be original, I've gone for Rota fighters again, because they fit, look good, are strong, reasonably light and cheap. They're matte black and will be my track wheels and eventually I'll get some semi slicks on them and keep the current bronze ones as a road wheel. The ones I have bought are fitted with AD08R so between them and the current set of RS-R's I should be good till the summer for tyres (I hope!).

Finally fitted a surround to the new head unit. Not the best fit but better than a gap. I had two others to try and this was the only one I could get to fit. However it was freezing so I didn't exactly spend much time on it!

2c61bd5aa3ee09957b717c969571116c.jpg

Genuine 'that'll do' moment.

Also I fitted a new gear knob a few weeks ago as I am not a fan of the Mugen one.

8fde415a4c84971cf2209970ce36a9e0.jpg

78d6b9d65a9e0f36b6d30c880556a1a0.jpg

1b4ed559cfddf6327333de266880befd.jpg

Back