• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC5 restoration - track project

Picking her up tomorrow, she's been remapped and had a sump baffle fitted. She then goes to TGM on Sunday to have some gearbox work done. I don't know dyno figures, not really bothered but I have this from the mapper:

It has approx 12-14 more apples and maybe 5 more oranges in terms of peak numbers.

That doesn’t tell the whole story, you need to see the torque curve differences

You’ll notice the improvement that’s for sure.

Yes, I know it was stupid having the baffle fitted and then a few weeks later having the box removed, but that's the way things panned out as it's all been a bit of a rush getting her ready for the track season.

Kaaz Super Q plated diff.
Spoon 5.3 final drive.
New clutch.

Should make a difference. :lol:

Thanks. Spoon is in stock and it's proven to be reliable. I'm not sure how much the CR-V one is either.

The Spoon FD will probably be the Honda part anyway, I know the 5.1 is for sure.

It would've been nice for you to drive the car for a while straight from remap though, so you can feel the benefit. It'll feel like a totally different car after all those changes, I right hoot to drive I'm sure! :)

The car was mapped before so there isn't a huge change like before and after mapping for the first time.

However the car is now much smoother throughout all the rev range, both part and full throttle but it's far more potent at full throttle.

Bit of an update, the car has been mapped and had a sump baffle fitted, I also got Rich to fit my Mugen airbox correctly. Before I begin, I would just like to clarify something: dyno numbers. It's what everyone seems the most in interested in when in truth we all know that they should only be used as a tuning tool. Now, the dyno that Rich uses to tune cars is notorious for under reading, so the 235 peak my car made doesn't really tell the whole story. The car was previously mapped by Romain and made 247bhp on the Eurospec dyno. For reasons I won't go into I've always wanted to get it mapped again, plus with changing the intake and exhaust I wanted to know that in my ownership of the car that the fueling is spot on and safe. End of the day the car doesn't get used much apart from being hammered on track or sat at 70 on the way there.

The rev numbers are all skewiff, Rich did explain why but it went over my head. But the torque and bhp curves are true. Here's the before dyno, as you can see it isn't overly smooth and a little lumpy, there's also flat spots which I sometimes notice on the road.

hVp3hph.jpg

Here's after mapping.

wFCmB5A.jpg

You can see that it's much, much smoother and the difference in the torque curve is night and day. Rich told me the previous map was too rich as well. So, a 10-15 bhp gain on the Owen Developments dyno, with a bit of man maths would suggest it's knocking on 260 bhp on Romains dyno. On the way home my mate and I found a private airstrip. He's got an Evo X 300, and from around 50 to knocking on 120, there is nothing in it. He gains maybe 1/4 car length when things get silly. In retrospect, my last Evo with around 400 bhp would pull 1-2 car lengths on the X, so not that much of a difference at all! The Teg does have weight on its side, plus when the shorter final drive goes in it's going to be even quicker.

Now on the road the car feels better, it's smoother both wide open and part throttle, and it feels far more potent when pressing on. I'm extremely happy with the work once again.

That's the car at TGM now to have the gearbox removed.

Got a delivery today from the postman.

64199d4ad72e8de82eb598b5a39dbf0d.jpg

I'm very happy with the fit and quality, can't wait to get it in the car!

Fcuk symmetry when the cost of a second seat is the same as that of a plated diff or other goodies!

Anyway, both seats are red Recaro's, what more do you want?

How is the fit on that Chris? You, like me, are a "bigger" lad, around the mid-rift, i'm looking for a seat for the 32, and the likes of Brides etc. aren't meant for us girthy lads :lol:

Back