• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Deposit down!

I've put my GT Spec order in too. They have no idea of specs, price or delivery dates yet so winging it a bit. Subaru Sti and Evo driver for the last 20 years so I hope I'm not disappointed. Surely I won't be!!! I fancied something a little different this time round and this car looks awesome on paper :)

What colour did you go for sir?

pah who needs sat nav and reversing sensors anyways, adds unnecessary weight!! I hope that's not true, that's far too much money. I would have to re-think my order seriously.

What forum is that dweezle?

A chap from Belgium posted it over on civinfo, I usually dismiss early prices but he's been spot on regarding everything else so far, from what I gather he knows someone their side of the pond.
If it's true then add new tax on top paint cost, vat, etc etc & it could top more, I pre ordered the fk2 with carbon packs 32k asking price but my final bill was just shy of 36k

And if the fk8 doesn't achieve that...... Seeing as the fk8 is already at a production stage.
I don't think competitors are that interested in fwd ring records anymore,
The fk2 did it but Vw came out of nowhere & basically stuck 2 fingers up at Honda & beat it, I don't get why it's so important to Honda

The fk2 did it but Vw came out of nowhere & basically stuck 2 fingers up at Honda & beat it

But at what compromise to do so. No back seats, massive strut brace across the load bay and a piece of cargo net for a divider. Not exactly hatchback practicality...

The fk2 was stripped also, they was meant to take a production car around after facing some flack but it never happened from what I remember

My understanding was that there was no AC, no stereo (having a big poo beforehand would make more difference) and no passenger seat, purportedly offsetting the safety cage that was fitted?

It does seem to be rather pointless willy waving given that all the manufacturers seem to be bending the rules to suit their own game. IIRC Seat pronounced their laptime with an optional pack that you couldn't actually order for another 6 months.

Who drives the lap, do all manufacturers go to Nurburgring-test-pilots.com?... do they use a local like Sabine Schmitz. A small, light, fast Japanese dude from a race team? Driver makes the biggest difference, no?

38'000 euros for Gt spec apparently
This is a bit 2 k more over the FK2 Gt type R. It's what I read somewhere that some responsible declared about the price increase.
Only thing needed from that GT package were the parking sensors. The dealer offered to install them for 600 euros. The GPS - I have a portable Tomtom which is good.
If I can get a type R for 35-36k euros I'll take it. If not, sorry it's too much. How much improved the new one can be?
With other expenses winter tyres 1k, vinyl wrap 2k, insurance 1.5-2 k I get to 40k euros. A lot of money even for a hot hatch. This is 23k euros away from my ideal Cayman 718 configuration. I'll hold off 1-2 years more and get a 718 or get a low mileage FK2 Type R.

Just read the Honda email, production to start in July, later part of the yr then for deliveries?
They were saying on Civicx forum that the production supposedly started last week. Might it be just production for press/dealership demo models? And in July to get the ones meant for selling?

Forum reports of 39'000 English pounds for gt now, 36 for non gt
I doubt so, it would be more expensive then Focus RS and Golf R. Those cars are not really bad and are more versatile with AWD. On continental Europe at least buyers shop on prestige and features. There are more A45 AMG, S2,S3,Audi RS3, Bmw M than Focus RS which is a great car. FK2 is a scarce presence despite it's performance. I guess most people are not really enthusiasts that track these cars so this aspect is not selling.
I am concerned also about after-sale services here in Luxembourg. Honda does not have a strong presence here, dealerships are quite small. Plus seeing how Honda dealerships handled the issues of our colleagues makes me hesitate.

European manufacturers are more present in the area.
I had a Renault Laguna 3 face-lift had some minor issues(led tail light failed, small rattle in the dash - fixed on warranty, no questions asked). Came back after servicing something not right they looked and corrected. Reno after sales services are very good here.
Bmw 4 series (squeaking external mirror when opening window, rear electronic module failed - repaired on warranty). REM failed on a Sat at noon, still they were helpful and got my car for diagnose they ordered promptly the parts and in 2 days it was fixed. Other times I returned to them bc I thought something was not right they looked at and corrected, no fuss.
On REM failure I wrote to Bmw corporate to express my dissatisfaction. I was contacted by a Bmw Benelux rep to answer my questions and ensure that I managed to sort it out. Following this I guess, I got a 1 day invitation to Bmw driving experience Basic course.

When you have 40k to spend on a car there are plenty of options if you take the whole ownership experience into account.

pah who needs sat nav and reversing sensors anyways, adds unnecessary weight!! I hope that's not true, that's far too much money. I would have to re-think my order seriously.

What forum is that dweezle?
For me sensors are a must. They can surely break a deal. Some basic inexpensive stuff to protect my investment.

Who drives the lap, do all manufacturers go to Nurburgring-test-pilots.com?... do they use a local like Sabine Schmitz. A small, light, fast Japanese dude from a race team? Driver makes the biggest difference, no?
I guess there are official pilots/from associated racing teams.
For FK2 they were WTCC Honda pilots, here is a summary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeewmTWRh7Y (you can find each hotlap video on same channel : search "civic type r benchmark").

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know whether it's possible to take a car delivery from Honda Swindon plant?
I am not comfortable with RHD(never did it) but given that Swindon is not far from ferry I'd take a chance. I visited London last year can't be thankful enough for the inscriptions: look right - look left :D

Are the no dealers in Luxembourg or neighbouring countries?

The car would have to be registered in the local area of where it is sold I'm pretty sure, so it would be a UK registered car.

I'm not sure you could pick it up from plant either. I doubt that they would have the traditional sales staff, techs to carry out PDIs and backroom staff to move money etc. on site as dealerships are all franchises and not HUK owned. HUK normally only sell to dealerships themselves. They would have to get some staff over from the local dealership for the day, but essentially you would be buying from the local dealership.

Yes in Lux alone there are 2 dealers 2 garages each if I remember. There are much more in neighboring countries.
I read that there are some makers like Volvo, Porsche, Bmw at least that offer Euro delivery. You order the car/pay at the dealership but you can pick up yourself the car from factory. With temporary license plates.
They offer some more stuff like factory tour...
It would be a nice experience for me to be able to take the car from the factory. (If someday I'll get a new Porsche factory delivery in Zuffenhausen will be a must for me.:D)

Speaking about deliveries. I got my 4 series delivered by platform during the day at my working place. It was practical nice but not something memorable. I wish I knew that I can go to Munich at Bmw Welt and take it from there. I've been there once and saw others(some from overseas) taking delivery of the car. Unique experience.

Here's official from Honda regarding production starting in July https://www.hondaengineroom.co.uk/2...99-363536-2017+03+Mar+-+Honda+Cars+-+A/B+test

Most of it is the same Jargon we heard with the Fk2, they've just switched the Fk8 bits in.

If it's 2k more than the fk2 that would mean GT spec 34000GBP then with paint & charges on top you could be looking anywhere between 35-36000 GBP, and going by the recent pictures the carbon WILL be an optional so add another 2-4k on top ££££££.

Pre ordering caught me out with the Fk2 to the point where panic set in & I went down the loan route, for 2yrs I had 32k in my head & the wk before delivery I had a bill for just under 36k, will I do it again NO, especially after seeing Honda slash the prices on the Fk2 from the near get go

Thanks for the link.
If it's around GT FK2 price(with(out) % promotion) I'll go for it. I don't want the carbon package(despite being good looking) as it would make it a target for thieves. Also 2-4 k is a steep price.
Maybe in UK Honda is more popular among customers. Here (Benelux, Germany) the German brands(followed by French ones) are the most popular. Honda will have to have an attractive offer to sell, so I expect discounts also(for ex I managed at the end of last year to get like 2k eur disocunt on a Type R FK2 base version).
If I won't buy FK8 Type R, I'll consider a low mileage FK2 below 30k euros. If I can't find a proper one I'll hold on for 2-3 more years and get smth nice.
There are plenty of alternatives(also new WRX STI in 2018/19). I really like the Honda brand/heritage but when it comes to spending hard earned money I have to be as pragmatic as possible. Get the most out of them.

There was some complaining with the fk2 on release, the uk customers were paying 32k for the Gt yet other countries were getting it for 29-30k, so you actually might get it cheaper anyway

Back