• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Detailing perverts assemble! Rotary polishers, talk to me...

Christ on some kind of bike, that's a little out of my price range. Something to aspire to maybe, if I started a career in paint correction. :D

just re-read your post with your budget, the rupes and the milwakee machines are around £250 if you get them on a deal so found the 3m machine, ive used one before and seems a realy good piece of kit

It can't get much worse really, even the detailing professionals that wash my car (£8 inside and out, go figure) commented on how swirly it was the other week.

I'll happily give the car a good going over once I'm confident enough to not strip it back to the bare metal in one pass. :D

just re-read your post with your budget, the rupes and the milwakee machines are around £250 if you get them on a deal so found the 3m machine, ive used one before and seems a realy good piece of kit

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes the difference between a £50 and a £250 rotary polisher?

I'll happily give the car a good going over once I'm confident enough to not strip it back to the bare metal in one pass. :D

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes the difference between a £50 and a £250 rotary polisher?

Weight, noise, feel, looks, quality.

They're a superb machine. But my old dog does the exact same job. And I've used the Makita on multiple occasions.

Makita are bullet proof for the money, think I got mine for 161 delivered. If your not going to use it that much, cleanyourcar do one called an EP800 at a good price, which I've had a go with, which has a slow start speed....

If your rolling in money though, get a festool rap150 ;)

Cheers for the pointers DD, I think I'm pretty much set on the Silverline one. For 50 notes it's looking like the best value. OK, here's my shopping cart. Found a handy discount code for them too which has saved a bit.

cart-1.png

I'm undecided between the 3M or the Dodo Juice cleanser, which would the seasoned pros go for?

To throw a spanner in the works, have you considered a DA and the megs microfibre system? I'm only saying this because Honda paint is easy to correct but fussy to finish down. The majority of the time, I will always go over a car with my DA to remove the really fine buffer trails that you can put in the paint when finishing down, even with ultrafina and the softest pad. (Most people may not notice these trails, but I do)
Back to the DA, with the microfibre system, you do get a good correction in a small space of time on Honda paint, without as much risk, and virtually no buffer trails even on the correction part.

The ultrafina is one of my fav finishing polishes, but it is pricey. For refinement of the initial correction, it is one of the best though.
Lime prime is really good also, but I tend to use that as a cleaner/glaze, just when I'm stripping back old waxes/sealants, ready for a fresh one. Also Lime prime has an amount of fillers in it, so you have to take that into account if your using it as a finishing polish. It is great for what it's designed to do though.
I've just added a Civic to my trader thread, and what I used was extra fine plus (3m) via rotary with yellow 3m pads, stepping up to a white hex logic pad for deeper marks, then refined by DA, finishing pad and ultrafina

I'd definitely swap the backing plate and invest in a 3m one.

You could probably do with a more abrasive polish too. I'd swap the ultra fina for the yellow top polish. (and use LP as a finishing polish)

Or just add the yellow top to the basket, and use LP as and when you need it.

as said, quality, weight, speed, durability, the same question can be said for just about everything, basicly you pay for what you get, whats the difference between a nankang ultra sport tyre and a toyo proxie? or a pair of hi-tec trainers and some nike air max?
we once bought a cheap machine, it was a bit of a copy of a milwakiee and lasted around a week, i was half way through a bonnet and it burnt out, we were sent another and that did the same, weve had our rupes machine now around 2yrs and aside from going through 3 sets of brushes its been fantastic, and we use ours to death, definately worth spending that extra little bit.
i was talking to my younger brother about this lastnight and he and his friends are well into there detailing and a friend of his bought a dodojuice machine, got a package deal with some mopheads for £120, he realy rates it and hasent had any probs with it in the 5months hes had it,may be one to look at?

I've got the 3m professional Rotary

Its a super bit of kit, if a little pricey. At the time I bought it though money 'was' no object.

Finishing off with the Porter Cable dual action is a nice touch as Deeper Detail says.

To throw a spanner in the works, have you considered a DA and the megs microfibre system? I'm only saying this because Honda paint is easy to correct but fussy to finish down. The majority of the time, I will always go over a car with my DA to remove the really fine buffer trails that you can put in the paint when finishing down, even with ultrafina and the softest pad. (Most people may not notice these trails, but I do)
Back to the DA, with the microfibre system, you do get a good correction in a small space of time on Honda paint, without as much risk, and virtually no buffer trails even on the correction part.

The ultrafina is one of my fav finishing polishes, but it is pricey. For refinement of the initial correction, it is one of the best though.
Lime prime is really good also, but I tend to use that as a cleaner/glaze, just when I'm stripping back old waxes/sealants, ready for a fresh one. Also Lime prime has an amount of fillers in it, so you have to take that into account if your using it as a finishing polish. It is great for what it's designed to do though.
I've just added a Civic to my trader thread, and what I used was extra fine plus (3m) via rotary with yellow 3m pads, stepping up to a white hex logic pad for deeper marks, then refined by DA, finishing pad and ultrafina

I've got the 3m professional Rotary

Its a super bit of kit, if a little pricey. At the time I bought it though money 'was' no object.

Finishing off with the Porter Cable dual action is a nice touch as Deeper Detail says.

I hadn't considered a DA, being this is my first foray into the world of rotary polishing I was going to keep it fairly simple (and cheap!) first off whilst I'm practicing and getting confident enough to tackle the bigger jobs. Certainly something I'll keep in mind. Good to know about the Ultrafina too, I had a feeling it was pricey for a reason - and not just 3M branding that was keeping the cost inflated. So (to Joe as well) with a blue pad and the ultrafina and I'm going too softly softly to take out the swirls and holograms? I'm conscious that Honda paint is soft, thin and just about there and this being my first attempt (will practice this on a spare panel first btw!) I don't want to start cutting too deep.

Thanks too for your insights gents btw.

I'd definitely swap the backing plate and invest in a 3m one.

You could probably do with a more abrasive polish too. I'd swap the ultra fina for the yellow top polish. (and use LP as a finishing polish)

Or just add the yellow top to the basket, and use LP as and when you need it.

I can't see a 3m 75mm flexi backing plate on that site, does that mean I need to up to 125mm or are they available elsewhere? I might grab both polishes to start off with and try to the two. :)

as said, quality, weight, speed, durability, the same question can be said for just about everything, basicly you pay for what you get, whats the difference between a nankang ultra sport tyre and a toyo proxie? or a pair of hi-tec trainers and some nike air max?
we once bought a cheap machine, it was a bit of a copy of a milwakiee and lasted around a week, i was half way through a bonnet and it burnt out, we were sent another and that did the same, weve had our rupes machine now around 2yrs and aside from going through 3 sets of brushes its been fantastic, and we use ours to death, definately worth spending that extra little bit.
i was talking to my younger brother about this lastnight and he and his friends are well into there detailing and a friend of his bought a dodojuice machine, got a package deal with some mopheads for £120, he realy rates it and hasent had any probs with it in the 5months hes had it,may be one to look at?

I'll check those out, any idea where they grabbed theirs from?

Cheers again all, this is proving to be invaluable information. :)

Like I say mate - you do get what you've paid for. But my beast has lasted well over 50 full machine polishes.

By the title - I assumed you'd wanted a rotary.

Machine polishing is either a da or a rotary. Da being less aggressive.

You won't do any swirl correction with ultra fina on a blue pad.

Yep matey, I think rotary is the way I want to go for now cost wise. Unless there are similarly priced DAs out there, but given what they do I guess not...

Ah ha, so I see why you mentioned the Lime Prime with the blue pad now. ;)

I would get a yellow top and a blue top to start with tbh. With yellow and blue pads.

Lime Prime is awesome to have though, so if you want it; get it. Just in your basket there's not too much abbrasion.

Have you got your washing technique perfect by the way!?!

I would get a yellow top and a blue top to start with tbh. With yellow and blue pads.

Lime Prime is awesome to have though, so if you want it; get it. Just in your basket there's not too much abbrasion.

Have you got your washing technique perfect by the way!?!

'mazin, I'll get my basket updated.

I think I have... Two buckets, Megs mitt, Auto Glym shampoo. Good rinse off with a strong stream of water, gentle first wash and good rinse, and a follow up wash. Then separate bucket for wheels and arches, under sills, skirts and under bumpers. It's no snow lance/PW system admittedly but it seems to work well.

This is where you tell me I'm doing something critically wrong isn't it? :lol:

i4detailing

EASTERX

10% off until 9th april

Ding ding, gets better!

My washing as follows;

PW Wheels, spray wheels, tyres, agitate, clean, PW
PW down the B.O.S
Wash car, TBM, Lambswool mitt, Duragloss 901 (BOSS), seperate mitt for bumpers/skirts
PW down
Loose end rinsey dribble
Dry with drying aid and poorboys blue towel (Not MF)

Finally got around to ordering this.

Went for the Silverline with 125mm 3M backing plate, 3M blue/yellow pads. Lime Prime pre-wax cleanser (with micro abrasives), and a natty bag. :gayfight:

Bought an extra couple of blues as I've got a load of PB Blackhole at home that's itching to be machine applied at some point. :D

Back