• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 "real" top speed?

I recently went to see the 24h of the Nurburgring, about 420km from my place, and ofcourse this gave me the opportunity to try out the car's max speed on the German autobahn...

The car went pretty easy up to 200km/h in 5th but once in 6th gear, it felt pretty slow up to 220km/h and took for ages up to 240km/h.
Above 220 the engine was screaming like I was killing it, but I guessed the K20a2 could have this kind of abuse and I insisted to going for it's top speed.
It took around 2minutes of driving around 7200rpm+ to get there but the little Honda did the job!

Do you guys recon the car has trouble reaching that speed as well?
It's fully stock (for now) and was loaded with food, beer and camping gear +1 passenger.

Some more hints for those going on the Autobahn...
1)
The "NO speed LIMIT" isn't applicable everywhere, most of the time you are bound to 130km/h and even 100km/h limits.
The NO speed LIMIT is shown by a round white sign with 3 diagonal black stripes in it
2)
And second, car insurance and taxing in Germany is pretty low compared to UK and other western European countries. This means a 21y old can afford an BMW M3 or Audi RS4 leaving your Type R in it's dust trail.
It happened to me while having fun with a Leon Cupra R and a Volvo 850-T5. We were both stunned as an old guy in an RS4 was annoyed with us being in it's way cruising at 200km/h+
3)
A civic type-R is a "toy" in Germany, people laugh at you driving it. Porsche 911 GT3, Audi R8, Audi RS4/5/6, Ferrari 599, BMW 650i, even the Limited edition Focus RS500, and the BMW M3/M5 are king of the road. If you drive to Germany, don't try anything stupid, you'll just make a fool of yourself. I've seen literally 10'sMillions of £'s worth of cars driving to Nurburgring making me feel like driving a golf cart...

With everything plus one man in the boot it will take a little while to hit Vmax. Lose the weight and the CTR will get to the 146mph easily.

The big boys are road kings only because of the torque that they bluster with. Also ask yourself, how many of the big cars you have listed may be on finance and how are the running costs funded?

When watching youtube video's, it's like my car is underpowered. Or could a k-pro/k100 make such big difference. I'd give money to one just to try the difference on a stock vs k-pro'd Type R. I have to save money to be able to get one and get it mapped in the UK... and my Playstation 3 died yesterday while playing Bad company 2, so that's an extra cost so my Air intake will have to wait a month or 2 longer as I prefer having a new PS3 first :)

The RM01A is to arrive within the next 2-3 weeks if the Tougecontainer hasn't fallen of the ship and an ITG Maxogen was next on my order list.

With everything plus one man in the boot it will take a little while to hit Vmax. Lose the weight and the CTR will get to the 146mph easily.

The big boys are road kings only because of the torque that they bluster with. Also ask yourself, how many of the big cars you have listed may be on finance and how are the running costs funded?

And how many have squeezed 197 bhp at the fly wit a N/A two litre motor. The civic is obviously no where near the prestige cars as mentioned above, but it's figures should really be considered impressive given the hardware underneath.

And how many have squeezed 197 bhp at the fly wit a N/A two litre motor. The civic is obviously no where near the prestige cars as mentioned above, but it's figures should really be considered impressive given the hardware underneath.

Jermal is completely on the money here. for its age the EP3 is still an impressive performing machine with better handling and power than cars much younger with more tricks on board.

EP3 not a tourer either, its a sprinter.

IIRC I can remember someone saying that due to the aerodymanics of the EP3 after 120mph its like hitting a wall.

Okay, thanks for the info, I guess I shouldn't compare too much to youtube movies then. Indeed it felt like hitting a wall of air squeezing out the last 15mph to its top.

I guess it's normal then :)

i got 142mph on my sat nav dnt know the speed it got there but it was just me in the car with a 9.8kg racing bikeand about quater fuel left. i can say it seemed pretty nimble to get to 140ish but the extra 2 seemed to take ages :D

142mph and didnt take that long. was pulling still all be i slowly (private road)

Also not really sure why your comparing £30,00,£40,000,£50,000 upto £100,000+ plus cars to something that can be bought for £5000.

Also not really sure why your comparing £30,00,£40,000,£50,000 upto £100,000+ plus cars to something that can be bought for £5000.

I wasn't really comparing the cars for their performance, just saying I was surprised how many big players there are on the roads over there, here in Belgium, a BMW 320d is hard to insure as it is a very big and powerful car (according to the insurance agents). Over there any 20y old punk with a rich dad can drive an M3...

Now for that 140Mph, you recon the exhaust and GruppeM might have given the extra kick for getting that speed easely? For me it really was hard getting to 142Mph and a real fight getting to 149Mph. Note that was on the speedometer, so actual speed would actualy be 140Mph I guess... I don't have satnav and as far as I know, GPS is not 100% accurate either

You have to remember though that the autobahns and such draw the big motors to them. They're like a performance car grail.

Now for that 140Mph, you recon the exhaust and GruppeM might have given the extra kick for getting that speed easely? For me it really was hard getting to 142Mph and a real fight getting to 149Mph. Note that was on the speedometer, so actual speed would actualy be 140Mph I guess... I don't have satnav and as far as I know, GPS is not 100% accurate either

i wouldn't have thought so. My speedo is 2.5mph different to sat nav.

Surely the CTR doesn't have that bad aerodynamics, does it? It's shaped like an egg with the pointy spoiler on one end.

I have heard that most speedos become inaccurate after 100mph anyway, not by much, but probably enough to scarper your efforts for the extra 2mph

i wouldn't have thought so. My speedo is 2.5mph different to sat nav.

On my EP1, using an OBD2 datalogger, I could digitally read out the car speed and it had around 7% difference to the speedometer. so 70Mph on the speedometer was +- 65Mph using OBD2 readout, the offset became worse the faster I drove, and almost zero difference up to 35Mph I haven't bothered trying this on my CTR but I'll try in the next few days and let it know.

I've managed to hit 147 mph in my standard CTR on a flat road, admittedly it did take a while and if it hadn't of been for a bend i think it would of crept up more....

Back