• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Excessive fuel consumption or the other one?

Griffin

Banned for being a tit
hello all.

me and my partner both own CTR's same age and near on same milage except mines red and her's is black.
we both travel to and from lincolnshire area from bedfordshire (100 miles) and have been discussing how she manages to get more miles from a tank than i do. she says she can get to and from lincs on just over half a tank and im getting nearly a full tank on the same roads and same mileage. it never bothered me before because i thought it was down to my driving. so i decided to get one up on her and drive real eco to see how much fuel i could save on a trip to lincs and back.
not much different to my earlyer normal driving fuel consumption maybe saved 1/32 of a tank of fuel witch is still higher than her results.
we both needed to go to lincs at the same time but instead of sharing one of our cars we decided to take both to prove our points. filled up the tanks and off we went, the whole journey there and back i followed behind her sticking to her speeds and her driving tecnique witch arn't to different to my own and when we arrived back home we compared fuel. she wasn't fibbing just under half a tank and mine was nearing the fuel light position:eek:.
both cars are well maintained and have no obvious faults ive checked for fuel leaks but nothing and its passed it's m.o.t emissions test every time, plus she has crap in her boot and mine is always empty.
is there a problem with my CTR or is hers somehow magicly advanced???
any advice? thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would go and get yours fault code read at honda. perhaps an engine sensor is on the blink which is causing increased fuel usage.

i know you wrote about both being serviced but perhaps check the condition of your air filter, renew spark plugs, check the PSI in your tyres.

fault code. there's a thread in faults, servicing and m.o.t section about doing the fault code off the engine management light. but im unsure if the light has to come on first. do you think i should do this or should i get raped by honda? tyres, filter and sparks are all good.
cheers rossy

fault code. there's a thread in faults, servicing and m.o.t section about doing the fault code off the engine management light. but im unsure if the light has to come on first. do you think i should do this or should i get raped by honda? tyres, filter and sparks are all good.
cheers rossy
they might not want too much to do it if mine was suprisingly cheap when i got the clearences checked

they might not want too much to do it if mine was suprisingly cheap when i got the clearences checked

how much did they charge for the valve clearence? i would like that looking at too if its not billions of quids.

There is a prob with yours, I drive from Royston to Boston and back on under a tank of petrol.

thats about 40 miles less all together than my journey so im not suprised. lol. but i still make it back with a smidge of petrol left just above the petrol light coming on. what part of boston do you visit i travel to just under the stump.

lovely tattershall, my partner gets her horse riding crap from tattershall.
small world.

I just relised, I read your 1st post wrong. I thought you were saying you used a whole tank to get there, not there and back lol

lol. probably my explenation skills.

yeah there and back, 200 miles nearly on the dot with a bit of juice left, probably gets me to work and back so about 230 miles to a tank. my partner does the same trip in her car but ends with a bit under half a tank. lets say with those figures shes doing an estimated 350 miles to a tank. so either my CTR has a problem or her CTR is magicaly enhanced. i might insure myself on her car and see if its me doing some weird foot movement without realising, she's not driving mine though lol :p .

don't take these figures as compleatly accurate there from the fuel gauge.

she did set the trip counter in her car but has never remembered to look at it :confused:

i get about 230 - 240 to a tank but i do drive more manly than her and do mostly town driving so its expected that i use more fuel, i never found it a problem until we done the lincs trip together.

rossy said it could be a sensor on its way out or something so got to get it plugged in to a computer thing.:D

Try fitting a new fuel filter and run some redex through it. Your injectors may be a little blocked causing the spray pattern to spray in blobs of fuel instead of a fine mist.

Alternatively, buy some pure Acetone. Add 1.5ml for every litre of petrol you put in the tank. It weakens the surface tension of the fuel and help it atomise better. I've done this a few times and it works wonders with super unleaded fuel. I drive to lincoln from worksop and back once a week and have noticed a bit of Acetone does help my fuel consumption. Don't over-do it though - less is more. ;)

thats a good cheap place to start with the filter and redex or injector cleaner. no too sure about the acetone, i hear many good mpg stories about acetone but i come across bad stories like this...

As a former mechanic I found this experiment to be of great interest. I was unfortunately a victim to the early testimony here that said acetone does not harm engine parts.

I added acetone as recommended to both my 1996 Honda Accord wagon and saw increased miles right away. I also put it in my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500. After several tanks in my truck (and a little better mileage) I found my number 1 injector showed up as failing. Shortly after that I was talking to John Bedini about the better mileage I was getting and then he said, "yeah, but it will kill your injectors." Then I laughed and told him this just happened to me.

So this weekend I went up to the cottage and my Honda would not start again. Had to tow it home 100 miles and go home early. Turns out my fuel pump was gone. The mechanic asked me, have you used injector cleaner in your car? I told him about the Acetone. He said, Honda pumps never go unless you damage them like this.

So I conclude that this added mileage is certainly not worth the damage it causes. And I suspect that we only read the initial reports here and not the long haul uses of acetone.

Be warned.

strories that don't crop up that often but are enough to put me off.

Personally I have run Acetone in a number of cars and bikes (2 & 4-stroke) and have never had any problems with anything degrading or reacting. I used to run it regularly in my old Civic EJ9 and I use it in my current EP3 with no problems at all. Bear in mind that the recommended amount is between 1.5ml to 2.5ml per litre, so this equates to a 0.15%-0.25% strength solution, so its certainly not a concentrate. It's also known to slightly increase the octane, so with a decent super unleaded fuel it works really well - as long as the mixture is maintained of course. It isn't the best octane booster however as it flashes off after a while, so is best suited to long continuous journeys IMO.

There's a big discussion and poll about it here...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/12755-my-experience-adding-acetone-petrol.html

right, i've read all through that forum and im more intreaged than ever so i've been to the chemist and got some acetone, well i've been there twice because they sell in bottles of 50ml and i grabbed on went and filled up and worked it out and i need 75mm:confused:

so im off to lincs tonight and im eager to see the results.

just before i put it in, i filled up with fuel to the "clunk"
50 liters in CTR tank, 50 x 1.5ml = 75ml. does that sound about right.

i will update sunday night or monday with my results.

Yep, anywhere between 75ml to 125ml will do the trick. To be honest, I'd probably just stick in both 50ml bottles as you'll be bang in the middle.

The reason I started using it was because I was asked to get rid of a 5ltr bottle of the stuff from work. With the type of work we do, anything which reaches it's labelled expiry date must be thrown out (even though the vast majority of solvents don't really deteriorate within a year, so are still perfectly useable. Worked out well for me! :D

Just make sure you use a funnel with some hose on it to ensure it doesn't get spilled on your paintwork. It's technically paint thinner, so just bear that in mind. ;)

Also, did you fill the car with super? I've noticed it works better with decent quality fuel, but I'll let you make your own mind up on that one. Hopefully it should also give your injectors and fuel system a bit of a clean, should there be any deposit build up. Good luck mate. :smt023

right im in lincolnshire and it's not good. i used bp ultimate and filled to the top added 75ml of acetone. and the results are half a tank. thats more than usual but felt alot perkier on the way. more tourqe low down and i only used vtec once to get past a lorry so i dont think the acetone i obtained was pure acetone. i got it from the chemist and asked if it was pure acetone, they said yes 100% and there were no writing on the bottle saying if it was or wasn't 100% so probably my bad. bit gutted actually because i really wanted it to work and i spent over the top prices for ultimate fuel and its gona cost the rest of that expensive fuel on the way back.
never mind you live and learn.

Back