• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

if i were buying again, i'd be getting the rear wing option. small amount to add to the finance, but noticeable when you're forking out for it afterwards.

if i were buying again, i'd be getting the rear wing option. small amount to add to the finance, but noticeable when you're forking out for it afterwards.

For what it is, it’s extortionately priced but the sheer fact I always wanted one I probably would have paid it myself but this one with all the other parts of the tailgate was a ridiculously good price so I was over the moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how things change in a few hours.
car been at dealer today. MOT, gear shift investigation, and a load of other things to fix.
Glad to say it flew the MOT - not even an advisory.

my ongoing gear shift issue not so good - dealer wants to strip the gearbox thinking it's a synchro issue in 2nd. seems like a good idea to replace clutch since the box is out even if it has only 1.5yrs of use. My optimistic side says they'll find an issue with the clutch and that'll be resolved on warranty, but if not then why not go for SMF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a weird occurrence, parked up after a 20 minute or so drive to nip in the shop, was no more than 5 minutes, upon getting back in the car and trying to start it up it would not go, was chugging away like it was trying to spark into life, the usual sounds but it wouldn’t go it did it for about 30 seconds or so then stopped itself, tried a second time and it sparked into life after the usual couple of seconds trying to turn over... not experienced this before anyone else had it and is it cause for concern?

Had it this year, car fired then cut out, failed to start with the immobiliser light on, switched everything off opened and closed my door and it fired straight up.
Going by civinfo I think it's a 9th gen thing, had me worried for a few weeks but ending up forgetting about it.

I have noticed more of a weaker crank with these colder mornings, maybe a higher cranking battery is the answer

Had it this year, car fired then cut out, failed to start with the immobiliser light on, switched everything off opened and closed my door and it fired straight up.
Going by civinfo I think it's a 9th gen thing, had me worried for a few weeks but ending up forgetting about it.

I have noticed more of a weaker crank with these colder mornings, maybe a higher cranking battery is the answer

Ahhh I noticed the immobiliser light as well so that’s reassuring, so long as it’s not a sign of anything untoward... I have noticed sometimes the car seems to take a slightly more exaggerated “breath in” so to speak on some starts since I fitted the Remus but thought nothing of it then this happening it had me a little worried!

I now carry both keys on me in case it's a fob issue,
I was also told it could be a crossed frequency thing.

Not long after taking ownership I had a one off issue where the car had quite a delayed fire, not even cranking then an instant fire up, again was told a 9th gen thing

I now carry both keys on me in case it's a fob issue,
I was also told it could be a crossed frequency thing.

Not long after taking ownership I had a one off issue where the car had quite a delayed fire, not even cranking then an instant fire up, again was told a 9th gen thing

I had a quick google and it seemed as though it was a 9G issue, a few reports of the lower models doing it, I only ever carry the one key with me but may take to carrying both if it happens again hopefully it was just a little temper tantrum, scared the life out of me though!

yeah, i had it once around the same time as dweezle did. not happened since and just put it down to atmospheric noise that blocked the signal.
worst case (eg: dead battery) is you hold it against the start/stop button which will give the fob enough juice to start the car. 2nd key is safe at home.

got a hell of a decision today. i've convinced myself my shift issue is clutch, and even if it's not clutch then why not replace while the gearbox is out anyway. going with the Xtreme SMF conversion kit. also need brake pads in spring ready for the start of a new trackday season, and discs in about a year currently tempted to get clutch, pads and 2peice discs done bought now.

Had that one as well, I did wonder how the car would start if the fob battery died suddenly, I didn't know about holding it up to the start button until veehexx mentioned it last year.
Embarrassingly it wasn't until last year that I realised there is a key hidden inside the fob :oops:

1 headache down; car insurance renewal quote got. same as last year @ £740 which includes 5 trackdays. cant argue at that!
1260 on this xtreme SMF kit is starting to look vastly cheaper than it did last week...

not really. booked in at dealer on the 19th. be buying from TDI-N as they've got 0% APR options now.
it's hard not to throw girodiscs and forge oil cooler on to it at the same time...

1 headache down; car insurance renewal quote got. same as last year @ £740 which includes 5 trackdays. cant argue at that!
1260 on this xtreme SMF kit is starting to look vastly cheaper than it did last week...
Are you aware that car track days will only cover damage to your car and not 3rd parties?

yep. couldnt afford to lose the car if something unexpected happened, so insured. £25k loss or whatever they go for is a different ballgame than a 2k clio...

True but if you spank it into a £100k 911 and then take some barriers out too, your £20 odd K recoup pales into insignificance. I paid track insurance for years and years, I think the money I've saved by not paying it will soon be enough to cover replacing my car.

911 would be their problem, not mine. Which works my way too. if someone over cooks it on the brakes and hits me then i'm covered on my car.
afaik UK track barrier repairs are track owner responsibility. EU circuits then you pay for what you damage (afaik thats true to spa and 'ring).

£250/5days is cheap enough to not worry about it. maybe i'll never need it but same can be said about road insurance.

like RichE saw at his recent donny day, clio rolled it in the gravel. only takes you to run wide by a few car widths because you missed your brake point by a car length and your day could end badly. I am new to trackdays and still have a lot to learn about compromised lines or wet events so it's a safety net for me. FK2 is taking a lot of my money so having something happen to it would not leave me in a good position. Maybe once the car is paid off i'll drop the track insurance.

finally got some positive news on notchy gearshifts...
Original purchase Xtreme single plate SMF kit ETA was 8weeks. got an upgrade to the dual plate version which will be here next week.
Off to dealer next week for a fortnight to get the gearbox 2nd gear synchro looked at (i doubt they'll find an issue) and while the box is out, fit the Xtreme clutch.

all shifts have been getting worse in the last week, so much so i've been finger-tip shifting like the knob is made from an egg. Letting the revs drop to 1.5k seems to be a common solution to it entering gears. i'm confident clutch will fix the issue and no issue in gearbox. Willing to be proven wrong by the dealer, and in a way i hope they do find a gearbox issue as well - time well spent pulling it apart and should aid the failure numbers towards a recall for others.

Back