• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

Gave my car a good clean the other day as was going to meet my cousins in their RS's. Noticed that the front bumper and bonnet have lots of paint chips already. Only done 4k miles.

Anyone else noticed this? Paint seems super thin

Some pics from the day;

a60fb5167f4a32e8a339650817bdb943.jpg

9a4c7659745ee5558530f6161e960830.jpg

83b5b1033f19d0bc02fb5b24281956b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Looks great! My car has stone chips up front too. Think it's the same on any dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3M make a clear wrap that will protect it and can be washed and waxed the same as paintwork. Supplied and fitted by a 3M fitter in Ireland you get a 3 year warranty on it.

Honda paint is thin, I'm getting quite a few at the moment due to rds just being resurfaced, my carbon pack is getting a few as well which is annoying.
A few owners are getting hit really badly on the rear arch trims

Yea that lazy way they 'repair' the roads is infuriating. Doesn't actually fix potholes it just ruins your car because of all the loose gravel. So tedious. They should ban it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bonnet is covered in chips and the rear arches also. Rear arches go very fast, if I plan on driving this car the next 2.5 years there will be no paint left I reckon.

Yes just have 1 on each rear quarter. But front bumper lip has loads. I look after my car and I hate stuff like this.
Think a lot of them were caused following the blue mk2 RS on the motorway a few days ago. Really annoying.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I've got many many chips on mine. I've found a few on the roof recently too that I've had to touch up.

The car has suffered a lot in the heat over the last couple of days and felt really down on power.

I'm also a lot fed up with these Continentals that I moved from the back to the front after the track day at Croft. I think the heat cycle or the cornering forces has destroyed the sidewall stiffness because they just feel flabby, unresponsive and unpredictable. I've got 4mm left on them but another couple of Michelin PSSs sat in the garage...

The car has suffered a lot in the heat over the last couple of days and felt really down on power.

I think Tuesday mine suffered a tad, car was showing 34 degrees so was pretty hot out, I've noticed with the heat sitting on the car all day it's giving lower oil press
ure readings on start up.
I know the oil is good in these cars but after some googling it's mentioned a low viscosity oil is better suited in colder temps than it is in hot temps, could be one of the reasons for the suffering, or get the eventuri intake it seems most are convinced of it's engine bay cooling abilities :rolleyes: I reckon they would of suffered more in that heat than they letting on

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a wrap to me. I quite like it.

I think Tuesday mine suffered a tad, car was showing 34 degrees so was pretty hot out, I've noticed with the heat sitting on the car all day it's giving lower oil press
ure readings on start up.
I know the oil is good in these cars but after some googling it's mentioned a low viscosity oil is better suited in colder temps than it is in hot temps, could be one of the reasons for the suffering, or get the eventuri intake it seems most are convinced of it's engine bay cooling abilities :rolleyes: I reckon they would have suffered more in that heat than they letting on

I don't get it.
You get heat soak when the car is sitting in traffic. And obviously, when the car is first started you shouldn't be driving your car to notice a loss in power. So once the car is up-to-temperature, and in free-flowing air, people are actually noticing a loss in power?

Also, I wouldn't be worrying about the oil. It's all to do with the car's operating temperature.

As everybody is talking about the temperatures though... what's the deal with the "holes" in the wing and arch vents? Honda says they serve a purpose...

The holes are covered and for aesthetics aren't they ? Tgm have bored out the vents so they actually do serve a purpose , their race fk2 is looking mighty impressive ! Over 100k spent on it .. It's also now a Lamborghini white (originally blue)

There are pin hole sized holes, and I was told by Honda (dealer) that they are supposed to equalise the pressure in the wheel well to avoid the wheel arches causing lift at high speed. Nothing to do with temperature management.

I reckon my issues were more that the AC was turned on, which increases the exhaust note and labours idle more, so I can only guess increases parasitic losses while in use. That coupled with the higher intake temps, it just felt bogged down. Almost like I was driving with the hand brake on. It's seemed fine over the last couple of days now it has dropped below 32C to around 20-24C.

I might look at an uprated intercooler, but I think I'd rather pay for Spa, a hotel and EuroTunnel than that TBH.

According to a reliable technical source, the FK2's engine cooling is marginal.

I noticed earlier in the week that my car felt as though its performance was noticieably down after sitting in traffic with ambient air temperature in the 30s, even when revving it out to the limiter.

Apparently the lack of additional cooling capacity is another reason why upping the engines HP through aftermarket means may not be as straightforward as just remapping the ECU.....

Chris.

Back