• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

yeah, your right on that. i'll have to remove the forum sticker on the civic - no point supporting a dead forum. not sure if i'll stay de-stickered or add on one of the active forums stickers, although the way civinfo has been supported&maintained recently, feels like that might be on borrowed time

plus side, fk2 feeling good tonight. almost polar opposite of earlier in the week. gearshifts no where near as bad as they were over the last 4-6weeks but frustrating it's been doing it every day pre-dealer visit and now no issues. The change gives me hope it's not clutch related and while i'm not convinced it'll do anything, i'm weighing up gearbox oil change - diy amsoil or based on an unknown issue that could be warranty, pay dealer for an oil change just to keep the warranty side happy.

yeah, your right on that. i'll have to remove the forum sticker on the civic - no point supporting a dead forum. not sure if i'll stay de-stickered or add on one of the active forums stickers, although the way civinfo has been supported&maintained recently, feels like that might be on borrowed time

plus side, fk2 feeling good tonight. almost polar opposite of earlier in the week. gearshifts no where near as bad as they were over the last 4-6weeks but frustrating it's been doing it every day pre-dealer visit and now no issues. The change gives me hope it's not clutch related and while i'm not convinced it'll do anything, i'm weighing up gearbox oil change - diy amsoil or based on an unknown issue that could be warranty, pay dealer for an oil change just to keep the warranty side happy.

Why not diy gearbox oil change with MTF ? Surely that can't be a warranty issue ?

My fn2 gearbox was warranty denied due to non Honda box oil,
I knew they were fobbing me off as I now know for a fact the garage I use always use like for like, even the engine oil they will order it in from Honda for my 6mth change.

@ Veehex do you think them stripping it and putting it back may of fixed the issue

My fn2 gearbox was warranty denied due to non Honda box oil,
I knew they were fobbing me off as I now know for a fact the garage I use always use like for like, even the engine oil they will order it in from Honda for my 6mth change.

@ Veehex do you think them stripping it and putting it back may of fixed the issue
the potential of warranty denial (if anything more comes of it) puts me off going amsoil this time round. Paying Honda for the oil change is piece of mind during this uncertainty. I've no idea how they'd handle an oil change if it clears the issue up - would they refund me?
i'm not sure they even stripped it this week. They did take a look at the clutch operation and claim it's good - there's an inspection cover you can remove to see the clutch&flywheel. They test drove by 3 different people and couldn't find a fault on-road. They did say they didn't want to drop the box as they couldn't be sure where the problem lay... for all they knew it was a hydraulic issue. They would be willing to drop the box at my cost but get honda to pay they indeed found fault.

if this was 3 months time (out of 3yr warranty), it'd be a no brainer; replace with amsoil & hope for the best. if problems still exist, save for the xtreme SMF&clutch kit.
the fact i've 2-3months left of warranty with a fault thats yet to be determined leaves me divided on what action to take right now... not that the issue is there right now which is frustrating. I'll leave it till post-trackday to see what it's like between now and then and go from there.
i cant see it being the gearbox. issue was present in all gears (1-6,R) so i've not got any mashed syncro's.

and of course, should i take the extended warranty... while it is tempting, the fact i do want to mod the car more for track use makes me think the bits that might fail wouldn't be covered anyway, and those that may fail will be uprated.

Just had the pleasure of running into someone that couldn’t grasp the concept of a give way system, didn’t fancy pulling in and got so close to the car they were going to hit/scrape my rear quarter, I turned to pull the car away and have curbed the life out of one of my alloys not even one I can get away with some of the famed Halfords paint, going to have to be a refurb job... T**TS

At least I’ve got the Eventuri and Remus exhaust Wednesday to cheer me up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kerbed wheels are always a bitch :( did mine again the other week. very minor so some of that magic halfords paint will have to do.
doesnt bode well as i've been trying to keep the wheels of the kerb as i want some aftermarkets on - HRE's or BBS are a possible but not if i'm gonna damage 'em. always seems to happen in one specific multistory carpark

Same here, I’m holding off on the change of alloy till I get a set of pilot sport 4s to see how well the protect the rim compared to the conti’s I think as I’m so careful with the wheels and still someone have managed this, it’s bad enough doing these ones but a set of OZ/Volks would be a hell of a lot more painful

wheel protection was the main reason i went to 255/35. slightly cheaper was a close second
vastly better protection but can still sometimes catch 'em. so far it's been a very small amount of damage with 255's

I might have to up to 255 then, first time I’ve caught the alloys myself but the Halfords paint can only do so much...

wheel protection was the main reason i went to 255/35. slightly cheaper was a close second
vastly better protection but can still sometimes catch 'em. so far it's been a very small amount of damage with 255's

It's gotta affect the performance though right, make it slower and handle differently? I've kerbed all my wheels (kerb rash if anything) but I'd rather that than change anything about how it drives.

slower - negliable and i really dont care for 0-whatever times. speedo is within about 0.5mph from GPS now - more accurate.
handling - hard to tell when i went from the 235 csc6's to 255 dunlop RT2's. yes, the rt2's arent as sharp as the conti's but form what i can tell, thats the tyre and not a size thing. 255 sidewalls are +7mm taller so a) sidewall gives you that bit more speedbump clearance, b) width gives you wheel protection.
there's too much variation in weight on the same tyre size to be worried about 1-1.5kg difference by upsizing. the heaviest 235 is probably heavier than the lightest 255 tyre and it's typically hard to find that info to be useful in purchases.

biggest difference will be your chosen tyres' compound and changing offset (if you go away from OEM measurements).

i cant really fault the rt2's for an all round road tyre. for me, worked better than the csc6's which were appalling in the rain. what i do miss is the sharpness of the contis so wont be going with rt2's in the future, plus they're just not up to the abuse they see for track use.

ultimately, 255's were the right choice for me as primary purpose was to protect the alloys. i'm sticking on 255's and cup2's should bring back the sharpness i crave. I'm hoping to get a month of use on a pair of cup2's to then decide for the other 2 tyres if i'll be going for a full set or run mixed with ps4s.

edit: if it helps, i'm just max-sizing what tyres can fit on a standard alloy width: https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html. FK2 is 8.5" wide. center lines are the same so scrub radius and other angles all stay the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the conti's bad in the rain then? I don't think I've noticed that, but then I'm trying to think when I've driven it in the wet since I've had it.....:smt017

A bit of movement in the sidewall is good, 35 profiles are like rubber bands so have minimal.

i found 'em bad in the wet. spin up real easy without trying. That on it's own is liveable but the lifespan would mean i'd be changing about every 7months. it's a shame, as i do like conti tyres. had them on most my previous cars but they just dont work for me on the fk2.

Are the conti's bad in the rain then? I don't think I've noticed that, but then I'm trying to think when I've driven it in the wet since I've had it.....:smt017

They are awful at getting the power down in the cold/wet...not that any Summer tyre is going to be particularly good in that scenario but the CSC6 are dire in that department on the FK2 :lol:

Regards,Mark.

i found 'em bad in the wet. spin up real easy without trying. That on it's own is liveable but the lifespan would mean i'd be changing about every 7months. it's a shame, as i do like conti tyres. had them on most my previous cars but they just dont work for me on the fk2.

Oh yeah I’ve already had to replace the sodding things for wearing out after like 4K miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back