• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FK8 exhausts

Would you rather have a Type R GT and £21,000 cash?
or,
An RS3 full loaded (bar a few pointless things)
It's a good question, but perhaps a different answer would be given if neither of us already owned the cars in question.
If I had a lesser car I would pick the former....and would still be tempted regardless....but already owning the FK8 I would be more tempted by the RS3.
Both cases assume I am being given as a gift and not using my own money. ;)

In your case I would not buy another RS3.....been there done that.
Try something different....but be prepared to be disappointed with some aspects by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
if I were you id hold out for the new AMG45 - I reckon its being developed along the lesser models like the FK8 was and wont be long. There will be An A43 AMG first this year with around 350 BHP, then the 400 BHP plus bad boy....

I would find it hard to pop down a notch with performance, no matter how much better it was on a B road.. Its taken me 37 years to get to 316 BHP and I aint stopping here!!

I like a bit more 'gargle' with an exhaust....

I think the remus sounds best, but still not I am not going to change it from stock

I like a bit more 'gargle' with an exhaust....

I think the remus sounds best, but still not I am not going to change it from stock

Yeah agree on the gargle. But think with the k tuner will get pops and bangs which should sort that

Remus is nice - but with the valve open is a bit too ‘fart cannon’

Well I’ve had my fk8 for nearly 3 months now and I am deeply smitten but am afraid I can’t help but hanker for a better exhaust note. I’ll be honest I’m a car enthusiast but not gonna pretend I’m any good under the bonnet so please cut me a bit of slack. I’ve only ever cosmetically enhanced my motors before and tbh they were nothing like the fk8. I like a good burbly exhaust rather than a raspy one but don’t want to get something that I’m gonna have to change when it comes to MOT time. How many of these after market exhausts are actually road legal in the UK? I’ve been doing a bit of reading and it sounds like some of these catback exhausts are only “really” designed for track track use? I love the sound of the aFe exhaust but fear that I’d be at the mercy of some constabulary jobsworth if I indulged my desires. Any advice would be gratefully received. P.S. It’s bonus month this month so I might not get another chance! Cheers.

Well I’ve had my fk8 for nearly 3 months now and I am deeply smitten but am afraid I can’t help but hanker for a better exhaust note. I’ll be honest I’m a car enthusiast but not gonna pretend I’m any good under the bonnet so please cut me a bit of slack. I’ve only ever cosmetically enhanced my motors before and tbh they were nothing like the fk8. I like a good burbly exhaust rather than a raspy one but don’t want to get something that I’m gonna have to change when it comes to MOT time. How many of these after market exhausts are actually road legal in the UK? I’ve been doing a bit of reading and it sounds like some of these catback exhausts are only “really” designed for track track use? I love the sound of the aFe exhaust but fear that I’d be at the mercy of some constabulary jobsworth if I indulged my desires. Any advice would be gratefully received. P.S. It’s bonus month this month so I might not get another chance! Cheers.

Personally I've had some really loud set ups on cars - S2000 with decat and ITB's and never been pulled over by the police so I wouldn't worry based on my experience

As far as I know you don't need to worry about 'legality' from an MOT perspective unless you remove the cat. Most exhausts are cat back and wouldn't remove the cat. You can get a decat pipe which would need to be replaced come MOT time, but this isn't a massive job, and you wouldn't have to put it back on for 3 years. Removing the cat can have a massive effect on the overall sound and tone though so if you intend to remove the cat always have a listen to what an exhaust sounds like with the cat removed if you intend to remove the cat

Removing the cat will give you a purer louder sound, and I've found often that a car that suffers boominess is actually cured with removing the cat

I think you have to accept that a four pot turbo is never going to sound fantastic, but I agree with you that the stock note isn't purposeful enough.

I will get an exhaust and will likely decat it once the ktuner comes out with a map with pops and bangs, but I think you can get a better, more interesting sound with an intake than the exhaust on a 4 pot turbo.

I'd also take a look at the Remus. Its got Bluetooth so immediately that wins ha.... You use it to change the angle of the valve in the exhaust. Closed its the same as Stock, nice and quiet when your not in the mood. Half way creates a bit of gargle then fully open is nice and fruity....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCdqYgNtK2I

Have you thought about getting a panel filter? Pipercross is out and the K&N wont be far...This adds a bit of drama to driving (granted the radio needs to be off!)....and is a lot cheaper!!! Of course you could do both

In terms of legality, anything CAT back is fine. Honda may raise an eyebrow when you take it in and they may blame it if the electric window's don't work so be warned...

I'd also take a look at the Remus. Its got Bluetooth so immediately that wins ha.... You use it to change the angle of the valve in the exhaust. Closed its the same as Stock, nice and quiet when your not in the mood. Half way creates a bit of gargle then fully open is nice and fruity....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCdqYgNtK2I

Have you thought about getting a panel filter? Pipercross is out and the K&N wont be far...This adds a bit of drama to driving (granted the radio needs to be off!)....and is a lot cheaper!!! Of course you could do both

In terms of legality, anything CAT back is fine. Honda may raise an eyebrow when you take it in and they may blame it if the electric window's don't work so be warned...

Cheers for your replies everyone. Yeah, I’d had a look at the Remus but the blurb seems to suggest it’s only for the track. Not wanting to sound all prissy but, I don’t want to get rumbled in a technicality. Have no intention of removing the cat so sounds like I’m probably being over cautious as per usual.

Cheers for your replies everyone. Yeah, I’d had a look at the Remus but the blurb seems to suggest it’s only for the track. Not wanting to sound all prissy but, I don’t want to get rumbled in a technicality. Have no intention of removing the cat so sounds like I’m probably being over cautious as per usual.

There would be absolutely no problem with the Remus for the road - the track bit is pure marketing.

I think so far I like the HKS Legamax the best at the moment. I think with decat it will sound fantastic

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically, while there is a law about road vehicles noise, its hardly ever enforced in my experience. Your more likely to not get onto a track day with a louder exhaust as they are very strict due to their neighbours complaints etc...

I do really like the sound of the aFe catback exhaust but at least you can have a quiet day with the Remus if the mood doesn’t take you. Thanks again everyone. :)

I got a £60 fine on my last ep3 for having an exhaust louder than OEM.
He pulled me over and took photos of it.
There was no producer or anything along with it, no requirement by the police to have it removed.

I was unlucky / probably driving at excessive revs :)

The law:

The vast majority of large or big bore exhausts are illegal for use on public roads. The fact they may have passed an MOT test is irrelevant as this only checks for exhaust gasses and emission legislation compliance.

Big bore and sports exhaust systems are usually fitted to increase the sound emitted and this contravenes the Type Approval of the vehicle, which is an offence.

There is no requirement for police to measure the sound level from the exhaust system, it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification.

It is not an offence to sell these exhaust systems, but it is an offence to fit one to your vehicle and drive it on a public road. Motorists who do so would be reported to court and may face a fine and court costs.

Yeah, I guess that’s the kind of thing I was talking about. Could you tell from looking at yours that it wasn’t OEM when you got knicked? Sounds like you got a bit of a jobsworth there but depends how many of them there are about. Did you get any points?

Back