• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

"Gunmetal" OEM wheels on my EP3

Bazzagt4

Hi Folks,

Since buying my civic I have been looking for a nice colour to spray my standard rims and searched this forum for pics of various colours before making my mind up with "Gunmetal" this colour is a "Rover" colour and finished with 2 coats of Lacquer to give a satin look as I didn't want them too shiney.

Hope you like the pics

IMG_1392.jpg

ab0074a7.jpg

3cc4adfb.jpg

0bb9e950.jpg

4df71c0d.jpg

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Red logo's arrived today so time to finish the job off...........................

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

My Best advice for a refurb is to spend plenty of time preping the wheel as this will make the end product look so much better, loads of rubbing down and i always use a fine grade 3M rubbing pad rather than wet and dry and finish off with a new fine scouring pad, 2 coats of primer with a light rub down between, then 3 coats of colour then a light rub down before the 1st coat of lacquer. I managed the 4 wheels in 1 day and 2 days later I set to them with some G3 to smooth everything off and finally a coat of rimwax to help stop the buildup of brakedust.

I hope some of that info helps folk as it has always worked for me.

Regards
Baz

looks great !
Is there any thread on various color of OEM ep3 wheels here (search isn't useful). I want to refurbish mine but can't decide on color :p

looks great !
Is there any thread on various color of OEM ep3 wheels here (search isn't useful). I want to refurbish mine but can't decide on color :p

Thats the problem that I had and why I have included the colour in the thread title to allow people to find it easier with the search. Forum search's are always pretty poor from experiance but what you write in the thread title can help alot.

Regards
Baz

purples good ha ha

019-3.jpg

also id like to mention that said above in the way he painted his wheels, flatting the base is ok if your using areosol as you'll need to key it before clear coat but if your using a gun to apply base and clear then do not flatt between coats, you gain your finish from your laquer not by flatting your base, this will just contaminate your base under the clear and will result in the clear lifting

They look smart mate. Been thinking of getting mine done like that. But crap at spray painting myself, so will be seeking quotes.

full set of four standard ctr wheels, = £180 powder coat, or £220 painted, theres so much more prep involved in painting hence the higher price, our powdercoat guy can do just about any colour (colour group) you like he cant match car colours as powder never looks the same anyway

full set of four standard ctr wheels, = £180 powder coat, or £220 painted, theres so much more prep involved in painting hence the higher price, our powdercoat guy can do just about any colour (colour group) you like he cant match car colours as powder never looks the same anyway

Am I right in thinking that powder coating lasts a lot longer / stronger than painted wheels? (Dont chip as easy)?

opinions are like arseholes. i am an arsehole. my opinion is the blue is a bit "leave it" good paint job though can't knock that.

Haha nice spot on the flower pot, like the gunmetal was thinking to go bit darker like anthracite myself but might go with gun metal now. Blue, hmmm....not sure, but good job

Back