• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

GUTTED........gearbox bearing

Did the problem get fixed?

I bought a 05 CTR a couple of days ago and noticed a slight grating noise in second gear and a clunking noise (only sometimes) when idle. It's highly annoying.

When you say the gearbox, do you mean the whole unit? Not the clutch? Was it an expensive change? Covered by warranty?

it is the bearings in the gearbox not the clutch but i have been advised to get the clutch done while the gearbox is out for what its worth. a recon gearbox i have looked at looking about 400 then fitting on top of that. its a 54 reg so wouldnt of thought it would be covered by the warranty unless someone knows about that

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I noticed that when I turn the AC on the knocking noise starts, when I turn it off, it disappears. Is this connected in some way?

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I noticed that when I turn the AC on the knocking noise starts, when I turn it off, it disappears. Is this connected in some way?

i have just had my type r clutch done and mine is doing what it sounds like is happening with you. does the knocking happen just when the ac is on or all the time? mine is worse when i put the ac on but still happens at any time. im taking it back to the garage next week but they said on the phone it could be a sezed bearing that attaches to the wheel cant remember what they called it

Quite worrying all these reports of gearbox bearings, seems a 50/50 chance a new clutch will solve the issue.

i have just had my type r clutch done and mine is doing what it sounds like is happening with you. does the knocking happen just when the ac is on or all the time? mine is worse when i put the ac on but still happens at any time. im taking it back to the garage next week but they said on the phone it could be a sezed bearing that attaches to the wheel cant remember what they called it

I get the same noise when idling or in 1, 2 or 3 gears. It's a grating metal knocking sound but gets considerably worse when I turn AC on. Very strange.

So you've still go the same noise after having your clutch changed?

I think I've got this problem.

Slight whirring noise when idling with clutch up. Push the clutch down and it goes. It just sounds like bearings moving round a bearing race, but not harshly...it doesn't sound too bad.

It's not that apparent, and not noticeable at all once the engine is fully warm. Think I'm just gonna leave it, like Nick has done. The car runs and drives perfectly.

Mine has 72k miles on it.

After having the car checked out at 2 different garages and speaking to several Honda dealerships and independent clutch centres. Everyone of them has told me point blank it is not the Clutch release bearing as the symptoms I describe disappear when the clutch is depressed. A release bearing would manifest itself when depressed.

All have said it is either the gearbox bearings or the Input Shaft Bearing. 2 are fairly confident it is the gearbox bearings rather than the input shaft bearings.

I've had quotes (Inc VAT) ranging from £400 to ~£750 and this isn't including a new clutch if one is advised on replacing.

I've been advised to have a gearbox and clutch fluid change for the time being though as this may quieten the noise for the time being.

I have a whining noise in 4th gear which sounds like gearbox bearings, clutch pedal is abit stiff and crunches into gear sometime (honda gearboxes are known to be abit crunchy anyway). I spoke to my friend at honda to get a price on some bearings and he said that they have NEVER had a problem with CTR gearbox bearings going wrong.

Id recommend changing your gearbox oil 1st, before doing anything (Special Honda Gearbox Oil has to be used). Also check or get checked too see if your clutch is worn aswell. I got Exedy clutch kit (Plate, cover, release bearing) and new oil and it cured it :)

Gearboxes are pretty easy to get out if you have mechanical knowledge and somewhere to do it (Im a Toyota Tech so i have my ramp at work) :) lol

Got the same problem too..the car still runs fine (40k miles). Was told by to mechanics thats its not worth fixing as its not a damaging problem. They both said its the gear box bearings and definetly not the clutch relese bearings. One of them told me he will put in a ticker oil in the next service.

Might follow the same path as R89 with the Excedy Kit. However only want to be sure it will be cured before i fix it...

I've just bought a 53 plate Type R and did'nt notice that noise whn i bought it.it was'nt till a couple off days ago i heard the noise and shat it when i heard the noise but upon readin this im relieved too find its not a major problem..................Cheers;)

Just bought mine a week ago and 4th is whining under load (05 plate and not happening in any other gear). No abnormal noise at all any other time.

I'm gonna go with R89s advice as it sounds like he has a very problem similar to what I got.
Although no crunching and the clutch pedal feels OK with me so I'll swap out the gearbox oil with new MTF3 (1.5ltr) first and see if that cures it.

I got 65000 on the clock and it might never have been changed.

I've just bought a 53 plate Type R and did'nt notice that noise whn i bought it.it was'nt till a couple off days ago i heard the noise and shat it when i heard the noise but upon readin this im relieved too find its not a major problem..................Cheers;)

I would class a £700 (approx) repair as a fairly major problem!

Mine is doing it ever so slightly now, it's recently had a new clutch and release bearing fitted which leads me to think it's bearings inside the gearbox. Loads of people seem to be describing this as clutch release bearing problem but it simply can't be.

Mine has done it since I had it at 88k. New clutch at 130k and it still does it. 145k still going strong.

Years ago, I had a MK2 Golf GTi 16v that I had 200k out of on the original box with no issues. This being Honda, I am not worried at all. :)

It annoys me now I notice it. It's like a ticking/hollow sound but as I know it's a problem I can't ignore it. Are we sure it's the input shaft bearing and not cutch release? It does it at idle in neutral too which is why I wondered if it could be release bearing not input shaft bearing?

Back