• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How do you remove the bolt that holds on your front brake disc

I have come into a simple but hard problem. I was trying to change my front brake discs and i could not remove the nut that holds on the disc.

I was just wondering if any one else has had this problem and how did you get manage to get it off with out using an air gun.

Thanks.

I hope you're not referring to the hub bolt in the center? As all you need to do is undo the (two I think) screws. :confused:

You just need to remove the impact screws, although you will most probably break them when you do being the nature of what they are.

Thanks for the help. I am confident with cars but i think i will just leave that to the experts to do that for me.

Thanks again

Ps i am dislexic and that is why i sometimes spell wrong but i will try my best to sort it

The two screws are gay.

Impact screwdriver (not electrical) will do the job. You can get them fairly cheap I am sure.

Don't remove the BIG bolt in the middle!

Undo the screws circled in black, the central nut is to be left alone.

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 66
If you don't have an impact driver you can sometimes work them loose with a 18V+ cordless power drill on high torque and hammering setting. It takes forever to do but I managed to get one out like that.

The other way to do it is as someone said earlier to drill it out. Start with a small pilot hole, then increase in size until there is only about 1mm material left, then get one of those screw extractor thingies and remove it.

Some mechanics use heat to loosen it but I can never understand how this would work as it just expands the metal making it even tighter? :confused:

But as said, the best way as always is to get an impact driver, you can pick one up for around a tenna, but if you're desperate, halfords do one for £15.

Its cool mate. i get it all the time in the call center that i work it.

What?

You get a picture showing what you should undo and not undo in your call centre? In other words a picture stopping you doing something potentially dangerous?

Some mechanics use heat to loosen it but I can never understand how this would work as it just expands the metal making it even tighter? :confused:

If it’s due to corrosion/rust then the heat will be used to break the corrosion/rust as it doesn't expand with the metal, obviously alternative methods involve vibration ie impact screwdrivers and drills on hammer settings

Back