• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 How much would you be willing to pay?

Someone has found me a completely unmodified FD2 Mugen RR. It has about 5000 miles and has only been serviced by Honda in Japan.

He offered me 39995 originally. I was going to offer him 35800 but can't stop thinking about if i can be even cheekier and offer him a more easier price for myself.

Just wanted to know how willing Honda enthusiasts out there would be to own this rare JDM Mugen.

I really want this but am a little reluctant to spend what was originally going towards a new Audi S4. Which, by the way is quicker, comfier, and seats more people all while carrying a luxury car name.

I am a huge Honda fan so admittedly would spend alot on a good quality one, but obviously i want to spend as little as possible.

So how far would you go to get your hands on one?!??

Thanks, Darren

EDIT: photos on page 3!

Last edited by a moderator:
No more than 25k for one.

But I know that wont happen, there is no way I would pay over that amount for an N/A Honda.

Such a rare car, is there only one in the UK at present? I would say this was worth £30000+ to the right person (but with Yen vs £GBP you'll struggle), who could afford a premium for exclusivity. The styling is way better than the new UK 3dr one which is £40000. If I had the money spare I would certainly buy one for this amount. Fair enough an Evo is faster, but the RR is so exclusive and one of those cars you would struggle to replace next time in the market.

Why not see if you can get a transparent breakdown of the price and agree a reasonable finders and shipping admin fee.

Purely for collecting and taking to the odd car show

Thanks for your responses people,

The main reason i would pick a Mugen RR over an Evo or M3 is that they don't have the exclusivity, like already mentioned, and especially the M3 as i see this car once a day. But then now the more i think about it, you'd have to be pretty in love with Mugen to pay £40k!

£25K is very very cheap and worth it for such a rare car. I know loads of Honda enthusiasts who would pay much more than that, the main reason i haven't revealed the importer.

After thinking much harder and starting to side back over at the Audi S4 i think the absolute maximum i would pay for the Mugen is about £32k.
I know the new Audi S4 is also not limited edition or anything but to this day i still haven't seen a non-Avant variant driving on the outside road.

Also economy is an issue with some of the other choices out there, i would really like a car which can manage aprox 30mpg on the average motorway run.

If i do end up buying this car i would probably have to keep my FN2 as i would be unwilling to bring the mileage up on such a lovely car. This is another downside to owning collectable cars. Whereas if i bought the S4, i wouldn't really mind driving that all the way until it dies on me.

*Sigh...*

If only Mugens were cheaper...

The FD2 is a work of art in exterior design, but it's not gonna be a comfy ride :lol:

35,800 is a lot to shell out on a car that won't be practical every day.

No more than 25k for one.

But I know that wont happen, there is no way I would pay over that amount for an N/A Honda.

Not even for an NSX?

Defo not worth more than £25k

If it was a UK car then you're probably right. As it's Japanese and the exchange rate is appauling then you will be hard pushed to get it for under 35K. I know what you're implying as well Neil, that you wouldn't spend over that, but it depends what you want in a car. As has been mentioned previously, it's going to be a pretty exclusive car in the UK and as such you have to pay for the exclusivity. I mean there are more Evo's on this forum than there are Mugen RR's in this country :lol:

I would ** more inclined to pay that kind of money for the RR FD2 than I would the RR FN2 (even though the RR FN2 is supposedly a better car).

If you want it and can afford it, then I say go for it.

How much is the car actually worth, forgetting about the yen, the cost of having to pay for certain parts twice, import duty, exclusivity etc etc

How much is a heavily modified FN2 actually worth? That's the question you need to be asking yourself.

You can buy a lot of car for 40,000 these days

Thanks for your responses people,

The main reason i would pick a Mugen RR over an Evo or M3 is that they don't have the exclusivity, like already mentioned, and especially the M3 as i see this car once a day. But then now the more i think about it, you'd have to be pretty in love with Mugen to pay £40k!

£25K is very very cheap and worth it for such a rare car. I know loads of Honda enthusiasts who would pay much more than that, the main reason i haven't revealed the importer.

After thinking much harder and starting to side back over at the Audi S4 i think the absolute maximum i would pay for the Mugen is about £32k.
I know the new Audi S4 is also not limited edition or anything but to this day i still haven't seen a non-Avant variant driving on the outside road.

Also economy is an issue with some of the other choices out there, i would really like a car which can manage aprox 30mpg on the average motorway run.

If i do end up buying this car i would probably have to keep my FN2 as i would be unwilling to bring the mileage up on such a lovely car. This is another downside to owning collectable cars. Whereas if i bought the S4, i wouldn't really mind driving that all the way until it dies on me.

*Sigh...*

If only Mugens were cheaper...

not being funny, but who really cares?

I would have said 25 max personally i wouldnt pay anywhere near that i can think of a lot of cars that would be above that on my list, an for around 35k+ it would have to be a M3 or M5

Exclusivity is what makes them hike the price up more than it's worth. I have a fiesta RS1800 on my drive, rumoured to only be 300 left, at the end of the day it's a fiesta, no matter what badge is on it.

But as said before, that's way too much money. Unless you hold out for the yen to get better to the GBP.

EDIT: that beemer was very nice, I would rather have that. I know there's a few floating around but it's a very good car.

Exclusivity is a seller for a lot of cars. My mate has been offered stupid amounts for his G40 Polo as there are only 200 left. If someone wants a car badly enough, they will be willing to part with silly money.

Back