• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving MPG

i put 10-20 quid at a time, never know how long the car will be owned for so foolish to brim it.

To get better MPG, avoid using your brakes as much as possible. Every time you brake, you're wasting energy, try and read the traffic as far ahead as you can. I often got 300 miles per tank from my DC5, and that was using vtec a fair bit.

It's true my brutha, I promise you.
I know it's true but the amount you'll lose is so tiny it's not even worth thinking about. It's the same as not filling it up all the way as the extra weight will increase fuel consumption.

Oh and I'm not related to you or black. ;)

I always get over 300 out of my tank in my DC5, and thats using a bit of vtec in the mornings each day and sitting in traffic. ALthough my mate who has a EP3 sais hes lucky if he hits 300 out of a tank. He seemed really surprised when i told him i was getting over 300 easily.

I know it's true but the amount you'll lose is so tiny it's not even worth thinking about. It's the same as not filling it up all the way as the extra weight will increase fuel consumption.

Oh and I'm not related to you or black. ;)

You're probably right lolol. Gonna go do some internet digging since I've always just accepted it, and never known how much you actually do lose.

Brutha.

i put 10-20 quid at a time, never know how long the car will be owned for so foolish to brim it.

lol i done this with my bm i thought its going to take me ages to sell this no one is got to want to buy a 200hp rwd 325i bmw of and 18 year old lad so i put £60 and sold her the next day well miffed lol

I get 350 nearly all the time! thats not driving like too much of a granny but kepping momentum up and letting the engine doing the braking.

Ye i only get 240 a tank in my ep3, brimmed up with vpower, toyo tyres at 32 all round, cant seem to get any more milage either!!

I get 350 nearly all the time! thats not driving like too much of a granny but kepping momentum up and letting the engine doing the braking.

clarkson once said on top gear that if you leave the car in gear and let the engine do the braking with no throttle it uses no fuel whatsoever?

basicly on overrun.

:confused:

Of course it still uses some fuel - there's always fuel going into the engine. As I understand it though, the less you press the accelerator, the less fuel you use. That is to say that even if the revs are high by virtue of being in too low a gear for your speed, you're not using more petrol than you would be at minimum speed for the same gear.

clarkson once said on top gear that if you leave the car in gear and let the engine do the braking with no throttle it uses no fuel whatsoever?

basicly on overrun.

:confused:

Of course it still uses some fuel

I'm pretty sure if my memory serves me right, the modern fuel injection engines don't use fuel as the engine is winding down, the reason it doesn't stall is the engine and road speed keep the engine spinning thus not requiring fuel.

I'm pretty sure if my memory serves me right, the modern fuel injection engines don't use fuel as the engine is winding down, the reason it doesn't stall is the engine and road speed keep the engine spinning thus not requiring fuel.

That is correct.

Also worth to note that coasting uses fuel, as its needed to stop the engine stalling as its disconected from the drivetrain.

I only get 245 miles to a tank if i drive my ctr easy and 200 driving hard! I thought that was the norm for a type R until i came across the thread, some must be harder on fuel than others?

If every engine is hand made that's gotta be the case I spose, you wouldn't expect it to vary nearly so much though.

Back