• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Improving MPG

If every engine is hand made that's gotta be the case I spose, you wouldn't expect it to vary nearly so much though.

I think when you start puttng manifolds, exhausts CAI and ECU on them the fuel economy goes out the window. A Type R is really only a weekend car, i have a diesel Carina for work :lol: Couldn`t afford to fuel the civic all week and building sites ruin a good car too!

I think when you start puttng manifolds, exhausts CAI and ECU on them the fuel economy goes out the window. A Type R is really only a weekend car, i have a diesel Carina for work :lol: Couldn`t afford to fuel the civic all week and building sites ruin a good car too!

When I put a TODA, Gruppe M', K100 and RM01A on my car I reached 240bhp, 201bhp at the wheels.

This improved my MGP under normal driving about 30/40 miles per tank.

See! Gruppe M saves you money! :p

Figure running a Type R atm you're gonna spend about £40 on petrol a week, huh...

I'm pretty sure if my memory serves me right, the modern fuel injection engines don't use fuel as the engine is winding down, the reason it doesn't stall is the engine and road speed keep the engine spinning thus not requiring fuel.

That is correct.

so lets get this right, when coming up to red lights or junctions on the motorway go down the gears and do not use your brakes to stop till the very last moment? please clarify before i attempt and get this seriously wrong :p

That's engine braking, yeah. The principle explained here seems to be that the road rolling underneath you keeps the wheels spinning, therefore the engine doesn't take in (as much) fuel, therefore your tank of petrol lasts longer. Watch yourself on hills though.

If you cant enjoy your car because you cant afford to run it and sit and whittle about how much fuel it uses then buy a fiesta diesel.

Fuel could be £5 a litre, I'd still pay it because I love my car!

If every engine is hand made that's gotta be the case I spose, you wouldn't expect it to vary nearly so much though.

:lol::lol: Just because the engine is put together by hand doesn't make it hand made.

so lets get this right, when coming up to red lights or junctions on the motorway go down the gears and do not use your brakes to stop till the very last moment? please clarify before i attempt and get this seriously wrong :p

If the car is in gear and moving when you take your foot completely off the throttle the ECU cuts all fuel to the engine.

The principle explained here seems to be that the road rolling underneath you keeps the wheels spinning, therefore the engine doesn't take in (as much) fuel, therefore your tank of petrol lasts longer.

No fuel.

I'm sure you're probably right, it just seems hard to believe that there would be no fuel going into the engine whilst the car could be revving high, or revving at all lol. just a mental block for me I guess.

I'm sure you're probably right, it just seems hard to believe that there would be no fuel going into the engine whilst the car could be revving high, or revving at all lol. just a mental block for me I guess.
Why is it hard to believe, it the forward motion of the car is turn the engine why would it need fuel?

I'm pretty sure if my memory serves me right, the modern fuel injection engines don't use fuel as the engine is winding down, the reason it doesn't stall is the engine and road speed keep the engine spinning thus not requiring fuel.

Just to pick a fault with this fable what does the engine run on then thin air as opposed to petrol and air. It must use some fuel

Just to pick a fault with this fable what does the engine run on then thin air as opposed to petrol and air. It must use some fuel

No, the engine runs under the movement of the wheels and car. The ECU stops the fuel and spark, then when you open the throttle it starts again.

If you coast along, ie: disengage the engine from the gearbox, the engine will use fuel to stop it stalling.

No, the engine runs under the movement of the wheels and car. The ECU stops the fuel and spark, then when you open the throttle it starts again.

If you coast along, ie: disengage the engine from the gearbox, the engine will use fuel to stop it stalling.

Ah right i follow now

If you cant enjoy your car because you cant afford to run it and sit and whittle about how much fuel it uses then buy a fiesta diesel.

Fuel could be £5 a litre, I'd still pay it because I love my car!

Thats the right attitude! I love driving mine too, just hate seeing the miles clock up! If you want the performance etc you`re going to see the fuel bill go up. If you get more than 250miles per tank you`re not driving it right, some lads musnt hit the vtec at all getting 300+ to a tank!

Why is it hard to believe, it the forward motion of the car is turn the engine why would it need fuel?

I dunno. It's like, in my head, I find the phsyics of the propulsion of a golf ball by golf club very curious. The thing about the ECU cutting the petrol does make sense, as does the swing of a golf club amplifying the force by length of radius, but neither one seems right. It's just silliness from me anyway. It feels for some reason to me, that the engine would always have to have a dribble of petrol going in to it to keep it from being stationary and thus locking the wheels. I know fine and well that it works the other way too - if the wheels are rolling, the axel is turning, and the engine is spinning over fine. It's just odd to me.

Being in aN inappropriate high gear has also been reported to increase fuel consumption. A test in Bike magazine did thorough testing on gears vs throttle position.

The result was that riding around in 4th gear @ 2800rpm (throttle position 1/2-3/4 open) consumed more fuel on exactly the same real world journey than riding around in 3rd gear @ 4100rpm (throttle position 1/4-1/2). :D

The results concluded that throttle position and engine load played a large part in how much fuel is consumed. :confused:

Now I'm not saying that you should drive around in the vtec powerband, but shifting up at 3000rpm might not be doing quite as much good as you think it does.... :smt047

unless I'm on a downhill gradient, i'll generally hold on to the gears until I feel like shifting up. On uphill gradients, I'll hold on to 4th gear until at least 70mph. :-s

I know that this test was done on a motorbike, but the laws of physics are essentially the same..... ;)

Being in aN inappropriate high gear has also been reported to increase fuel consumption. A test in Bike magazine did thorough testing on gears vs throttle position.

The result was that riding around in 4th gear @ 2800rpm (throttle position 1/2-3/4 open) consumed more fuel on exactly the same real world journey than riding around in 3rd gear @ 4100rpm (throttle position 1/4-1/2). :D

The results concluded that throttle position and engine load played a large part in how much fuel is consumed. :confused:

Now I'm not saying that you should drive around in the vtec powerband, but shifting up at 3000rpm might not be doing quite as much good as you think it does.... :smt047

unless I'm on a downhill gradient, i'll generally hold on to the gears until I feel like shifting up. On uphill gradients, I'll hold on to 4th gear until at least 70mph. :-s

I know that this test was done on a motorbike, but the laws of physics are essentially the same..... ;)

This is completely true! When your driving at 4,000 rpm and have the accelerator at 1/4 - 1/2 open only a little fuel is being injected into the engine but as soon as you change up and drop the revs you need to press the accelerator to speed up again so what does your ECU do... inject more fuel baby!

Back