• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jermal's DC5... Now Dat C250 AMG

yes 1 diode for either side just wire how I tried to draw in my last post will take about 5 minutes

Sorry Tone you should only need to fit 1 x diode on one light for both to work, it should the get continuity through the cars wiring loom

Task 1

I think I've found out where the water is coming into the boot. The inside of the boot appeared to have been sealed, however on close inspection, there where areas where the sealant had gaps in it:

This is under the light on the nearside

DSC00620.jpg

and this is at the bottom of the boot

DSC00619.jpg

I stuck some bathroom sealant/mastick in as I had some lying around, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Task 2

Decided to give the engine bay a spruce up today also. Took lots of pics too so I can slap together a how to later on.

First I removed the spark plug and manifold covers. This not only exposed the rocker cover and manifold, but also exposed just how dirty it was:

DSC00629.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

I also removed my Spoon socks to avoid them getting mucky.

With the engine exposed and ready to clean, the first job was making the electrical plugs waterproofish. Cling film works well for this. There are several points around the engine bay that need a dose of cling film:

Plug on the induction hose from the airbox to manifold:

DSC00633.jpg

Two plugs at the end or the induction hose (usually hidden by manifold cover)

DSC00634.jpg

Two plugs between rocker cover and airbox/induction hose

DSC00635.jpg

Fuel rail plugs

DSC00636.jpg

Spark plug connectors (Ifound these easiest to wrap by unplugging the connector and then sliding the cling film underneath, reconnecting then wrapping around)

DSC00637.jpg

Next was the fun bit. Take one can of Gunk foam spray:

DSC00639.jpg

and go mental on the engine bay!

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

If your bay is really greasy like mine was, the Gunk will fizzle away and break down the grease almost instantly. I then rinsed away the Gunk/grease and gave it another going over with Gunk so I could concentrate on the really grimy/fiddly bits. I then went at these bits with a toothbrush, although hardly any agitation was needed. The Gunk foam really is quality stuff.

DSC00641.jpg

Area's where dirt/grease commonly build up are in the nooks and cranny's of the manifold and around the dipstick/oil cap and bolts that hold the rocker cover on. These are also areas where water pools later on.

All the other dirty but non greasey areas including bonnet (it's easy to forget) were cleaned with Megs hyperwash and a wash mit.

The instructions on the can of Gunk said to leave it to work for 5 minutes, so I took the opportunity for some fluid balancing:

DSC00643.jpg

After my cuppa, It was just a case of hosing down the engine bay and drying all the left over water (I used an old microfibre towel with some QD). Unfortunately I had missed a couple of areas on the Induction hose and only realised this after I had dried the engine bay. Not wanting to risk soaking the whole engine bay again after maticulously drying it, I cleaned the missed areas with a toothbrush and some Megs APC then removed with a wash mit and water.

DSC00649.jpg

As mentioned earlier, ther are some areas in the engine bay where water like to collect. These can just be soaked up with a bit of kitchen roll

DSC00646.jpg

The battery tray proved to be particularly pesty, but I prevailed in the end.

The results (with very little elbow grease applied)

Beofre

DSC00629.jpg

After

DSC00659.jpg

Before

DSC00625.jpg

After

DSC00656.jpg

Before

DSC00628.jpg

After

DSC00658.jpg

As the manifold and spark plug covers were off, I thought I would give them a buff up as well as the Gruppe M. Used some Jetseal 109 and Dodo juice purple haze and they came up a treat

DSC00648.jpg

The end result (allbeit slightly out of focus)

DSC00651.jpg

...and some more gratuitous clean shots

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

Task 3

I've got a chip on my bumper that has gradually gotten bigger as water has got in under the paint and lifted it away. I did a quick fix a cuple of months ago by putting a clear dressing that we use at work to make it waterproof. This was ok until it started turning yellow. I decided a slightly better quick fix would be to go around the area with touch up paint so hopefully it will at least seal it until I've got the spare cash to get the bumper resprayed.

Not pretty, but I achieved what I wanted to.

DSC00647.jpg

I have not read all the issues relating to your water ingress, but did you also check your rear light clusters, especially the foam/rubber seal that seats the cluster - Reason being mine leaked in that area due to a flattened and damaged seal.

Good work Tone, plus a good write up as usual !!

I went looking for the 'Gunk' saturday, but to no luck :(
Maybe a finishing product over the plastics & hoses would finish it off nicely ;)

Nice job, far too much effort for me though. I've always found a dab of white spirit on a brush cleans up the rocker cover and manifold nicely.

Good work Tone, plus a good write up as usual !!

I went looking for the 'Gunk' saturday, but to no luck :(
Maybe a finishing product over the plastics & hoses would finish it off nicely ;)

I was going to, but they actually came up rather well with just a clean. Plus it started to rain, so I had to finish a bit quicker than I'd intended.

Do you want me to get some Gunk for you? It would be a thank you for the other day. ;)

My SFS hose came today. Just in the nick of time too as the OEM was onthe verge of splitting.

IMG_7224-1.jpg

...and fitted

IMG_7252.jpg

Also, as it was a nice day, decided to give it a clean and meet up with Hatton and Keeno at the Silo's for some shots

IMG_7254.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

IMG_7233.jpg

Hatton's EP3 and Keeno's new DC5

IMG_7255.jpg

and Hatton taking my DC5 for a quick blast.

IMG_7232.jpg

Nice shooting for a first time El Tony. I need some sort of photo editing software :(

Back