• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbo's Project slow & sideways - mk1 MX5

You wrote it off?! Another roundabout? :lol: Hope you're ok bud!

Wow, it sounds like you have some excellent plans. That's a great find for the price, the 1.8 and diff will completely transform it, the hardtop will make a big difference too. This thing is going to be awesome. I call first dibs when you come to sell it!

Please tell me the rivet on bits are arches and a ducktail! :twisted:

You called it right jimbo! Arches and ducktail are mandatory. Riveted on!

A little catch up below:

Some bint just pulled out on me,

I went into her side at the front.

She then tried to blame me..

Damage done on both cars, hers came out worse - nothing major either way.

I then explained to her she pulled out of a junction onto my right of way.

She then asked why i didnt see her, I explained i did see her waiting at the junction and exexcted her to give way.

Her insurance just rang whilst typing at least she's accepted liability.

PICTURES TO FOLLOW

Well I picked up my curtesy car this morning and they told me I was collecting a ford focus 1.6
not great but I can live with it, only to be royally fcuked this morning to be given the keys for this:

IMG_20161129_WA0000.jpg

Drive just like a renault traffic van except steering is lighter/extremly dull

Oh and yeah this is their like for like replacment for my MX.

But it doesnt drift

On the plus note volume goes all the way up to 31, for when 30 just doesnt cut it.

So the engineer came to visit and inspect my car.

But first I will add the pics like I said I would:

IMAG0550.jpg

Broken side light, crumpled wing and a scuff/scrape on bumper.

And the stupid bints car:
IMAG0551.jpg

My car has been written off as they want to repair through Mazda, but I am delighted to say the least :lol:

Managed to come to a rather nice deal, they agreed to pay full value after a long discussion.

I then arranged to buy the car back as the damage is easy to fix and that wing had rust anyway.

Bought it for £100 :lol:

I have spent maybe £300 on it with major service and replaced the rear tyres that drifting destroyed.

Only 80k on the clock and running sweet.

New side light ordered - £25 ebay

New genuine wing I managed to order last night etch primed for £160 delivered. AS the £60 new copied wings are a crap fit apparently.

Scuff will sand out on bumper.

Then I might spray the car black one we get some warmer weather.

HAPPY DAYS

You called it right jimbo! Arches and ducktail are mandatory. Riveted on!

:smt041 AMAZING.

Hah, result! PITA to deal with it all, but you've definitely come out on top. It amazes me that they wanted to write it off with so little damage, would have been such a shame for a car to die like that.

Hardly surprising though - new wing, indicator and potentially new front clam plus paint. Chuck in a hire car for a few days while it's being done. Probably not far off what the car was worth beforehand.

At least they paid out full value of what I paid for it.

From breaking the parts I don't need on the donor car I should make my money back and end up with free hard top and other bits
And some spares

Well I have the second 5, it is in a real state. bad rust repairs where the welds havent been ground down. rust showing through.
Haha they left an empty can of racing green in the boot where they tried to cover rust.
Lifted boot carpet and its nothing much but rust.

Hardtop & steering wheel in great condition though.
New soft top.

Engine seems to be running mega rich.

Wheels apear to have a wider offset but the downside I prefer the ones on mine now.

Dont think ill be taking the engine, really tapety and running mega rich,
Pprobably just take the diff and half shafts.

See how it goes

Might just need a fresh pot of oil and some clearences adjusting? How many miles are on it?

No clearances to adjust, the NA 1.8 has hydraulic lifters. Oil change is usually the first step with ticking lifters.

Ahhh, hydraulic lifters... I made one of these go 'bang' on a 1.25 zetec beater... I didn't change/top-up the oil for 18k miles because FOAD ford.

In that instance, it was cheaper to buy a new head than attempt a repair. I did the right thing though, sent it to the scrapper.

Either way... Suffer the pain on the 1.8, it'll be worth it in the end.

Ahhh, hydraulic lifters... I made one of these go 'bang' on a 1.25 zetec beater... I didn't change/top-up the oil for 18k miles because FOAD ford.

I shorten the intervals to 9k (down from 12.5) on Lucy's mk7 Fester, otherwise the oil looks really nasty. By 18k that must have been treacle. :lol:

It's a catch 22, I loathe the little sh*tbox but my mechanical sympathy won't neglect it so it dies. We're not having another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardtop is swapped over now, cant beleive how light it is.

Needs paint and my god those coilovers need fitting.

Jeez, that's well overdue.

For the sake of £20 or so bung some cheap oil and a filter through it to see what happens?

The steering wheel is a fake, ah well ill stick with the genuine Nardi for now.

No power steering and a fake wheel means its easier to bend the steering wheel than turn it!

Right paint ordered finally!

New wing ordered too to replace the dented one from the crash.

Been so busy with the house the car has been neglected.

Coil overs still sat in the boot as they have for months now.

I have next week off work and my little brother should be helping me with the prep work.
So should be a new colour in a week.

Rivet on parts will have to wait until paint is fully dry etc.

Getting my prioritys wrong though as the brakes and clutch keep over heating.

Too much clutch kicking :rolleyes:

Back