• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbo's Project slow & sideways - mk1 MX5

Just purchased this but dont collect until wednesday.

In good condition for age/price.

Will be restoring further with further daft mods no doubt.

1.6 - 82000 miles

A couple of pics from the ad:

mx5_zpsky7myrsi.jpg

mx55_zpstjydq5t9.jpg

mx555_zps5borskbk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Mk1s. Nearly bought a couple myself & infact, my best friend bought the eunos that I nearly bought a few years ago & still owns it.

Did you purposely go for the 1.6?

No i would have prefered the 1.8 or at least the pre '94 1.6
As this one is only 90bhp compared to the pre '94 ones at 115bhp.

But engine and drivetrain will most likely get swapped out at some point.

This was only meant to be a stopgap car for a year or two but cant help it become a project :lol:

I just wanted the cleanest, least rusty example for the cheapest price.

Got it for a grand though.

First plans are to tidy up abit.
Strip all underseal off so i know exactly whats under there and treat and re seal.

Full service to come first i think, new cam belt, water pump, many many gaskets, plugs, leads, oil & filter (undecided on a flush?)

I have many more plans but first things first get her clean and running as sweet as possible.

AWESOME.

I'm watching closely. One of these will probably be my next stopgap, so I may pick your brains in a few months.

Also, please go completely batsh*t crazy with this.

You can't really go wrong with a Mk1 at the end of the day! Cheap as chips and so many parts out there to make it look interesting / drive interesting unless your chasing big HP numbers!

Look forwards to seeing what you do with it :)

Picked it up last night, it is definitly not quick, the power (I use this word lightly) is definitly at the top end.

But that said it is extremly good fun. Even with the open diff the back end just want to come out with a prod of the throttle and with little flick will be completly sideways.

Read a fair bit on driftworks/mx5nutz saying you cant drift them without handbrake or constantly kicking the clutch (theres no need for that abuse)

It is running on budget tyres though at about 25psi, cant wait to pump the rears more.

Placing some orders today for service parts and a little order at driftworks :)

Hatto had a build thread for one of these somewhere. Somehow he squeezed a huge tent and stuff for JAE into it!

lol nice Jim. Can't wait to see what you do with the Mk1. There is a guy near me has one with a crazy spoiler on it. I will try and get a pic of the car for you. :)

They are easy to get skidding, they are difficult to keep going though as the chassis makes them twitchy as a rabbits nose.
Get the diff welded, put in about 45-50psi on a dry day, and 40ish on a damp or wet day, get a decent seat and harness, and jobsagoodun!
My MK2 was one of the most fun cars I have ever owned, even with the cheapy coilovers, it handled like a brute, and when you got it sideways, it was a treat to just keep the back end hanging out.
If you do more track drifting stuff, you will need to clutch kick it a fair amount on transitions. Don't bother with a hydro, you won't need it while still using the 1.6. Add some lock collars to the steering rack for some extra lock, this gives you more angle, allowing you to keep the powerband up. Get a 5Race cage which bolts in to some nice easy positions without having to chop into the boot firewall.
Go for an Excedy Stage 2 clutch for general abuse, they last a good time and will take a hell of a lot of action, they're also good should you want to go boosted.
Talking of turbo's, check out Skuzzle Motorsport. Stu was one of the first guys to boost an MX in the UK. He went the way I was going, with a T25, uprated fuel system, and using the OEM ECU with an O2 switch. Also look for a guy on YouTube called - The Car Passion Channel, Greg is an absolute genius with his cheaply boosted Miatas. He's just done one called "Broke and Boosted" which uses the OEM ECU setup, he did it all for under $1000. If you know a fabricator, you can do a good boost build for about £500, this will give you around 150bhp at the wheels.
Hope this all helps bud, gimme a shout if you want any more help. ;)

Going for lsd rather than welded diff as its a daily too. Already watching the 5race cage and door bars on eBay. Can't believe the value on those things!

Thanks for the info bud, will look at the steering collars.

Got to get it in the best condition possible rust wise before I tackle anything else.
All the walnut dash has been replaced with good old black dash this morning.
Just ordered import plate and offset angled bracket this morning.

Will most likely look at boost next year. But read up on it now.
Thought this was only going to be a stop gap car but I'm loving it to much so far.
That it might end up undergoing full restoration with bigger mods as I go.
The single stage paint makes life easier for me doing rattle can touch ups in the meanwhile. But now have compressor and spray gun I can borrow.

Heard about advancing the timing to 14degrees from 10 which gives you more mid range, but I'm sure this is only moving the power band and definitely want it up top for drifting I would have thought.
Going to pick up some oil today and possibly a new head unit. The tape deck is annoying in traffic. Although there is a 12 disc changer in the boot...almost takes the full boot space. This needs to come out.

Big box of parts arrived this morning.

Spark plugs,
HT leads,
Full timing belt kit
Water pump
Aternator belt
PAS belt
Cam cover gasket
Oil & filter
Sump plug and washer
Air filter
Cam sensor position O ring (will get the timing advanced a little when this goes on too)

I got the new Sony head unit fitted this weekend.

Painted the front mazda badge black as it was looking a little tired.

JDM import size plate for front arrived, awaiting bracket..

Most of this wont be fitted until next week but will be doing little bits in the meanwhile.

Also my first drive in the wet today, so much sideways - I nearly spun at one point :lol:

Dammit man, you've got me looking for mk1s....

Did you find any particularly good buyers guides?

Sorry jimbo, thought i replied.

none i can recall, i think i started with this one.

http://www.goodwoodsportscars.co.uk/info.html

Mostly just check everywhere for rust, underside, inside etc!

Mine had little history but the oil was at a good level and seemed fairly fresh and other fluids at good levels and seemed newish.

The gov.uk mot history checker helped my search too, nrealy all seem to have failed on rust at some point. But helps give an indication of whats been reaired and where.

Also you can get bike racks!! :lol:

DO IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back