• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbo's Project slow & sideways - mk1 MX5

Just gone to fit the offset bracket for reg plate, and the previous owner has removed the toe eye!

Slightly annoying, so had to get some 4mm galvanized steel to make a new bracket to screw in its place.

Why is nothing ever simple.

Yeah wasn't really sure on what the gold would look like on red. Those are the colours I have plenty of in the shed.

Agreed, tomorrow I'll upload some tomorrow

One from this afternoon, nothing exciting:

IMG-20160918-WA0009_zpsljlmyryb.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me an age to remove front stick on plate, stuck on really well.

Heat gun, thinners, polish.

Needs a really good buff though.

Just dont even want to put the offset plate on now, be happy like this with a GV lip and new black grill

Painted the Mazda badge matt black too

IMAG0481_zpskd6sxvhj.jpg

Finally just finished fabricating the bracket to hold the bracket I bought, read up I needed 30mm length bolts for the tow point, but these are way to long.

You can just about see half the mock up bracket in the right side of the grill opening on the above image.

So got 4 bolts to cut down first.

Fitted HT leads and new universal filter - got to love open cone noises.

HT_zpstgyjyrvd.png

IMAG0487_zpsx2rgdhcj.jpg

Also the OEM handbrake handle I ordered arrived, so swapped the Nardi one out.

IMAG0486_zpsrw9trxgl.jpg

Also picked up some LED side lights at lunch time

before:

IMAG0483_zpsnj8yguo5.jpg

after:

IMAG0482_zpsp2irsdnr.jpg

direct comparison:

IMAG0484_zpsxrybpsjx.jpg

Not entirely happy with the way its sat, but it will do until I can be bothered to faff.

IMAG0490.jpg

So advancing the timing to 14 degrees today if there’s time, if not then definitely tomorrow.

Should see my a few more HP to keep me going a little longer.

Should be around 10 stock but heard many can be as low as 8 degrees.

Did I mention this thing is fvcking slow, almost as slow as trying to de-mist this morning, crappy blowers and convertible.

Took about 10 mins before I could even set off.
Might need a hardtop for winter

That handbrake is sky high! Can't pull mine anywhere near as high.
Using a hardtop in the winter here, works better.. I do have a garage which does help substantially.

That handbrake is sky high! Can't pull mine anywhere near as high.
Using a hardtop in the winter here, works better.. I do have a garage which does help substantially.

Yeah it definitely needs adjusting, but that will be done next week along with calliper rebuild as front drivers side and rear passenger side are sticking a little.

I should have a garage when I move in a few weeks which will help.

Timing adjustment has made huge improvements, from 4-5k it has some usable power, as for the rest of the rev range very small changes but noticable.
Timing was supposed to be set to 10degrees but was apparently at about 8. So up to 14 is much better!

Slowly losing the love for this car.

Who's idea was it to bump the pressure on the rears! Darren..

Lost the back end at around 60 not expecting it, managed to catch it
(Definitely more luck than skill, really thought id be going through some hedges backwards and into a field..)

Then about 20 min's later came off a roundabout backwards,

45psi on budget tyres is definitely a no-no.

Yes it drifts ridiculously easily but there is no control whatsoever especially with the open diff.

And having no power to get you out of a sticky situation doesn't help.

Boiled the clutch fluid in traffic this morning, resulting in air in the system.

Fluid change and bleed today.

:lol: Sorry bud. The open diff will be the reason for no control. Just get that thing welded! It will make the world of difference, trust me ;)

:lol: Sorry bud. The open diff will be the reason for no control. Just get that thing welded! It will make the world of difference, trust me ;)

Think it may have to be done!
The round about situation was fairly funny though, the chap in the car behind was in stitches.
To be fair it was pretty wet too

A welded will improve the sideways action tenfold. I was astounded by how easy it was to deal with once done. As for low on power, clutch kicks will always help, if it's dry that is. In the rain, it's all about the throttle and a little bit of left foot braking. The 5 is a bit of a twitchy beast to start with, but once you get it dialed in, you'll love it. I miss mine every time it rains :lol:

Not much has happened with the 5, as I have been busy moving and cracking on with DIY

But after it got written off and bought back for £100, its given me some funds to start messing around now.

New sidelight/indicator and the cars road legal again, £25 from breakers

Should have some nice changes over crimbo.

Coil overs arrive today / tomorrow

Dinitrol kit coming with cavity wax etc for sills.

Few other little bits and pieces to go on.

Then going to start sanding the car ready for paint and a few rivet on pieces.

Put new budgets on the back as I went through the last set, but my god these budgets are grippy as fvck..great until the release agent wore off.
Will put them on the front and bang the rears back up to 50psi

On the look out for a cheap hardtop too

So in the last hour since posting the above.

Plans have changed slightly. I have just bought another mx5.. :lol:

£450 just arranging a trailer, but it has a few nice bits which I will steal, break the rest and scrap the shell.

I need a new front wing after the crash so will have that.

Momo steering wheel which will replace the Nardi

Hard top with heated rear screen which seem to go for around £450 anyway on ebay.

slightly better seats

Brand new soft top coming with it.

Private reg

and a 1.8 lump with LSD.

So the painting and rivet on pieces will have to go on the back burner for a while as I need to turn this around and get it off my drive as soon as I can to keep me out of trouble.

Coilovers may have to wait until late jan now too, so will make me sad seeing them in a box until then

You wrote it off?! Another roundabout? :lol: Hope you're ok bud!

Wow, it sounds like you have some excellent plans. That's a great find for the price, the 1.8 and diff will completely transform it, the hardtop will make a big difference too. This thing is going to be awesome. I call first dibs when you come to sell it!

Please tell me the rivet on bits are arches and a ducktail! :twisted:

Back