• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jimbothemagnificent's magnificent EP3

It's coming through GSM performance, never heard anything about them so hopefully it'll be a painless process.

I'm thinking that the rear seats need to come out, mostly so that I'm never tempted to carry passengers in the back with a harness bar right in front of their faces. I'll be keeping the seatbelts and adding harnesses, but I don't want a fully stripped rear. I want it to be 'racecar for the road', so no bare metal.

Currently I'm exploring ways to mold carpet around foam for the sides and make a floor out of cardboard/lightweight wood. The idea being to remove everything behind the front seats, then create a smooth lightweight interior.

If anybody has experience of making custom carpeting for cars I'd love some advise!

Doing mine exactly the same by the sounds of it. Use a cardboard template and then the easiest way is to get you desired material (im using a thin plastic) and cut the outline. cover the boot and check it all fits, use a heat gun and slowly bend the plastic so it fits flush with the floor (where the seats previously was, and just before the rear shocks) to mould into position.

Measure the gaps you have around the outline (As plastic is bent and moulded it will be shorter in certain places) when you carpet the plastic take the measurements into mind and use a foam backing or something else more imaginative to seal the gap.

Im going to use foam al over as there is more likely to have defects in the plastic where its been heated. then carpet over the top.

Hope that helps buddy.

very nice NHB ep3 , love the scenic pics and reading the thread interesting reading, seats are very smart too, keep up the good work :lol:

Nice dude. Lol at cleaning it every five minutes! I would never have another black car. Cosmic grey is bad enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, no it didn't, that's because I'm hugely over-excited. 6-8 weeks is going to feel like a lifetime!

I have to wait 13 weeks to insure my car because I didn't check my policy expiration date, Ive been waiting since week 18!

My current insurer wont swap the car unless I was 25 and I've just turned 21.

I read your build and I'm going to try the CAFAF with a carbon duct in the foglight.

your exhaust video made my buy a type r :), Ill upload some pictures tomorrow.

6-8 weeks?! Pah. Try waiting over a year for something you had to pay upfront for. :lol:

Do you need a harness bar and harnesses to go with your new purchase by the way? ;)

Doing mine exactly the same by the sounds of it. Use a cardboard template and then the easiest way is to get you desired material (im using a thin plastic) and cut the outline. cover the boot and check it all fits, use a heat gun and slowly bend the plastic so it fits flush with the floor (where the seats previously was, and just before the rear shocks) to mould into position.

Measure the gaps you have around the outline (As plastic is bent and moulded it will be shorter in certain places) when you carpet the plastic take the measurements into mind and use a foam backing or something else more imaginative to seal the gap.

Im going to use foam al over as there is more likely to have defects in the plastic where its been heated. then carpet over the top.

Hope that helps buddy.

That sounds quite similar to my plan. I'll probably leave the headlining and pillars in, it's the odd shapes of the plastic trim on the sides that I want rid of. I'm thinking for the sides a layer of foam cut to shape and padded out to give a smooth surface, then thin carpet or something similar glued to the outside. The tricky bit is figuring out how to attach it to the car around the edges. The floor will be something like plywood covered in carpet.

I have to wait 13 weeks to insure my car because I didn't check my policy expiration date, Ive been waiting since week 18!

My current insurer wont swap the car unless I was 25 and I've just turned 21.

I read your build and I'm going to try the CAFAF with a carbon duct in the foglight.

your exhaust video made my buy a type r :), Ill upload some pictures tomorrow.

Unlucky bud, at least you have an excuse to strip some big parts off for restoration while it's sitting idle! I would love to get mine off the road for a few weeks.

The CAFAF is pretty simple, but it's a fiddly job and you do need to remove significant amounts of car to get into that space. It probably doesn't make any measureable difference to performance, but I like it.

I'm glad I inspired you into Honda ownership, you'll love it mate!

6-8 weeks?! Pah. Try waiting over a year for something you had to pay upfront for. :lol:

Do you need a harness bar and harnesses to go with your new purchase by the way? ;)

A year? F**k that. I'll be too old and fat for racing seats in a years time.

I will be putting harnesses and a bar in, yours are well outside my budget for now unfortunately. I'll be needing another seat, I could only afford one Bride. Doesn't matter if it doesn't match, because fwd drift car! I'll have 2 oems for sale as soon as I can get the new seats sorted.

That sounds quite similar to my plan. I'll probably leave the headlining and pillars in, it's the odd shapes of the plastic trim on the sides that I want rid of. I'm thinking for the sides a layer of foam cut to shape and padded out to give a smooth surface, then thin carpet or something similar glued to the outside. The tricky bit is figuring out how to attach it to the car around the edges. The floor will be something like plywood covered in carpet.

Im keeping some of the rear plastics and making some up myself the same kind of way (If it works) and covering in baby blue alcantara with black stitching to make it look more..... appealing. don't want the back to be like a box, is hard to work out some of the shapes of the car when plastics are out as there so big.

Lol your making some work for yourself there Jamie :). Will be good though!

Yeah buddy I know, I can see this taking all summer! I'll be along tonight with two wheels painted, it's going to look ridiculous. The new colour is absolutely stunning though, come out much better than I hoped!

Im keeping some of the rear plastics and making some up myself the same kind of way (If it works) and covering in baby blue alcantara with black stitching to make it look more..... appealing. don't want the back to be like a box, is hard to work out some of the shapes of the car when plastics are out as there so big.

It sounds like we're on the same page here! I'm thinking that almost everything behind the front seats and below the windows will come out, then a bit of cunning foam work to smooth it all out. I'll probably be going black, then I can easily match the pillar plastics and headliner to match. I like the idea of alcantara! Very cool idea.

When I've next got a couple of days free I'll start taking bits of plastic off, see what I'm dealing with underneath..

It sounds like we're on the same page here! I'm thinking that almost everything behind the front seats and below the windows will come out, then a bit of cunning foam work to smooth it all out. I'll probably be going black, then I can easily match the pillar plastics and headliner to match. I like the idea of alcantara! Very cool idea.

When I've next got a couple of days free I'll start taking bits of plastic off, see what I'm dealing with underneath..

keep us updated buddy. ** let you know when I start mine :)

Wheels are looking grand mate.
Very nice shade :)

Sent from the necronomiPhon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back