• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's silver FN2 GT - J's Braces

:lol:

Chav. Sounds like all of them really on a blip. Look forward to some caining it!:twisted:

Chav. Sounds like all of them really on a blip. Look forward to some caining it!:twisted:

Finished uploading now. It is still being processed by youtube so may improve over the next few hours.

[video=youtube;cSst4MFX4m4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSst4MFX4m4[/video]

Vtec is set at 3,800 rpm as per the Group N map, so that is why it kicks in low down the revs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, sounds really aggressive!

It is mental! My favourate bit in the vid is at 2:40 where I gave it some throttle in 3rd from 3,000 rpm so you can hear the crossover at 3,800. :lol:

how is it for motorway driving with the vtec point being that low?

3,800rpm in 6th is 78-80ish mph, but it only kicks in if you have more than around 50% throttle, under that amount of throttle the Vtec point is 5,400rpm, so it's fine.

If you do want to overtake or speed up for people (lorrys) moving out, you don't need to drop down because Vtec engages and you are off.

It will probably be different when Paul maps it but it'll still be lower than stock. From what I've read he runs both cam postions when mapping and finds where the crossover is best set, so it varies from set-up to set-up.

I am not too sure on the cold air situation. Yes there is a piece of plastic going from the outside, to about 6 inches awat from the filter, but it does look a bit... blocked?

Maybe just my mechanical breathing incompetence.

It's simply down to physics. The gas from the cold air feed will automatically go to the induction kit because of diffusion. As the engine uses air for combustion, negative pressure is produced along the route to the engine, (i.e. inlet manifold>throttle body>induction kit). This drop in pressure within this system means that due to diffusion, the cold air will naturally be sucked into the induction kit rather than just going into the engine bay. A closed box system doesn't always mean it's more effective as the Mugen box on the EP3 demonstrates. It's all about how effective and free flowing the induction kit is, rather than trying to channel air into the induction kit by keeping it within a closed system.

I hope that makes sense.

Just ordered one of these.

IMG_0261.jpg

The wife is paying for it for my birthday, so although it will be in the house it will only be getting fitted in the new year. :(

Excellent choice in gear knob John, love the way these look.

It would be the one I would go for, if everything else wasn't Mugen on my S2000.

Skunk2 knob arrived today. I at least got to hold it for 30 seconds until Mrs Loxy snatched it away and has hidden it in her secret present hiding place. :lol:

First impressions were that it is nice and heavy! ;)

TDi-North in the afternoon (Friday). Dyno graph posted on forum by 7.30pm hopefully!

Just got back from TDi-North.

220.2bhp at 7,877rpm and 158.4lbft at 6,602rpm! :smt023

Flashpro1.jpg

The dotted line is with the Group N map.

Also got 35.2 mpg on the drive home! :lol:

Good power. Does it feel loads better? Why is there a smaller dip before the Vtec?

The dip before the Vtec is where the low cam starts to loose power. Paul does runs just on the low cam and just on the high cam. Where they would cross over on the graph is where the Vtec 'cross-over' point is set, giving the highest torque values overall. So the dip basically just where the low cam is starting to tail off but the high cam wouldn't give any higher figures.

Paul said a header would flatten it out even more and give more high end torque, but I'm not going to go down headers for a bit. RRC and JDM cams next on the list power wise, but a while off yet!

Is she more eager now John, can you feel the map's effects?

Pulls from lower down quite a bit better, but the main thing is the throttle is so much crisper.

I sort of spoiled the change really running the Group N map as it was half way there, so the TDi map in the end isn't such a huge difference, it just feels much more polished.

The Group N map also used to struggle a bit when pulling away from a standing start and have a mini flat-spot under 2,000 rpm. That is all gone now.

HHmm, nice car and all but I'd probably of felt disapointed only gaining 6bhp after handing over 350 notes. I know it's not all about peak figures, it's about how it drives, but looking at that it just seems like the power line has moved up a cell and stayed identical. As long as you're happy though who gives a fook

HHmm, nice car and all but I'd probably of felt disapointed only gaining 6bhp after handing over 350 notes. I know it's not all about peak figures, it's about how it drives, but looking at that it just seems like the power line has moved up a cell and stayed identical. As long as you're happy though who gives a fook

£230 but I suppose it just shows that the Group N map is most of the way there, but only with safe fuelling for all scenarios.

I sort of mentioned, that I went the half step and did the generic Group N map before doing the proper mapping session. If I'd have gone straight in for a remap from the start the difference would have looked been so much different. For a start the Vtec kick would have been at 5,800 and red line at 8,250 so the torque curve would have averaged lower and been all at the top end.

The torque is more impressive than the top end power, there are places where it is a good 7-8 lbft up over the Group N map, right in the mid range where you need it!

Even if I look at it so simply in that my fuelling is at least right now. I averaged 27mpg on the Group N map, if I now average 31 mpg which looks very achievable considering good motorway speeds including a fair bit of Vtec play on the way home gave 35mpg and 1 lite of V-power is costing £1.209:

31mpg / 4.55 (Litres in gallon) = 6.82 miles / litre -> 1.209/6.82 = £0.177 per mile
27mpg / 4.55 (Litres in gallon) = 5.94 miles / litre -> 1.209/5.94 = £0.204 per mile

So to make up difference 0.204-0.177 = £0.027 per mile

£230.13 / 0.027 = 8523 miles and I'll have made back the cost of the remap. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back