• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's silver FN2 GT - J's Braces

So the clutch seems to have gone after a gentle launch on the way home this evening. At least I hope it's only the clutch. :lol:

Bite point is virtually on the floor and it's difficult to change gear over around 2.5k, even then it's very notchy.

If it is the clutch that means the ACT has lasted around 15k, all of it NA as it only went in after the charger was removed. :picardfp:

Exedy Stage 1 next I reckon, tried most of the other popular brands. :p

Might swap out the F1 racing flywheel for a Clockwise one while it's out as well.

Aye, I did think about Clutch Masters.

Stevie does Exedy though I think, but it'll be whatever he can get soonest more than likely. :)

What's the quality of your Clockwise sump insert like John?

Not much on offer really and the Tegiwa insert looks sh!te

Beers

The clockwise baffle insert is a work of art to be honest. Mine's specific to me having the FD2 oil pump but here are the pics.

They are earlier in the thread but are worth posting again.

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0207-1.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

Ive got a Clockwork Sump baffle in my EP3, and as Loxy said, its a work of art. Spot on.

Sorry to hear about your Clutch Loxy, hope its sorted soon pal.

So, called in at Stevie's on the way home tonight and he thinks the same as me, that the clutch is a gonner.

So I'm going to get an Exedy Stage 1 clutch, new release bearing as that has started squealing too and the Clockwise flywheel.

Just need to find a slot to fit it in.

So the car is pretty much off the road for now. Major difficulties changing gear on the way home, having to speed match on every change.

My money is on the pressure plate giving up the ghost given the car moving as soon as the clutch moves off the floor and a lack of a noticeable bite point.

So then, went to Grinspeed on Wednesday to sort out the clutch issues.

This is the clutch plate when it came off. Dropped jaws all round.

IMAG0826_1.jpg

This could have been a failure of the clutch, could have been a manufacturing fault, however bolts that hold the pressure plate case onto the flywheel where only just over finger tight. This could have meant the clutch plate was traveling further that it normally would on operation which wouldn't have helped. No pointed fingers mind you, I'm not interested in naming and shaming, **** happens.

Just to add to this theory, one of the locating dowels from the flywheel had snapped off in the pressure plate case, which sort of confirms the pressure place case was moving around.

Snapped dowel on the old flywheel at 10 o'clock:

IMAG0821.jpg

Remainder of dowel in the pressure plate case:

IMAG0820.jpg

The clutch was an ACT stage 1 kit. I still stand by it as it was a good clutch and I think it would have lasted a lot longer under normal conditions.

Onto the replacements. I had decided on a Clockwise Motion lightened flywheel when booking in for the clutch. At the time the condition of the existing F1 Racing flywheel was unknown, so it was a good job I had decided on this given the dowel snappage above.

New flywheel, lush:

IMAG0822.jpg

Fitted:

IMAG0830.jpg

IMAG0831.jpg

I also plumped for an Exedy Organic Stage 1 clutch, given that the OEM spec one is rated to 170ftlb and I'm running around 180ftlb, this one would be safer.

IMAG0823.jpg

The clutch has now bedded in after a couple of days. It has a nice easy pedal feel, but firms up at the bite point. Engagement is crisp and has taken a bit of getting used to, but now I have it feels more natural than the old kit.

The flywheel is the most surprising bit. I'm not 100% what the weight of it is, but the old F1 Racing one was 4.65kg. The throttle response now is immense, the engine spins up a lot lot quicker, it feels like I've had more power mods done, it's made a dramatic difference. So much so I'm happy with the power again now, until I get used to it again that is. :lol:

Top job from Stevie at Grinspeed. :smt023:

Wow that's one messy clutch :eek:

Clockwise motion flywheel is very sexy though, glad to here stevie put the grin back in your speed :D

Sent via NecronomiPhon

Have you seen the Rigid Collar group buy thread?

I have bud, just spent £800 on a new clutch and flywheel! :picardfp: :lol:

Bad news John, not what you need a few months after Christmas.

Aye, had a bit floating about in the current so didn't have to touch the ISA but still something we could have done without.

Back