• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MOT advice - Spoon N1 & HID's

T

trancehead

Does anybody know if my car will fail its MOT for having a spoon n1 backbox and some 6000k HID's that i bought from LeeH?

Thanks
Dan

My friend was actually pulled over by a jobs worth copper the other day and asked to change his exhaust to be quieter, and has to go to the plod station to prove it, he weren't given a fine or points fortunately. AFAIK the limit is 89db but they don't really enforce it, as I'm sure there are standard supercars that put out a higher db than a spoon N1.

There is no db limit for cars for MOT's. The only thing the police can do is caution you for a breach of the peace, but this would only be if you were driving like a Benny all of the time.

The only problem I can envisage with the HID's is that the reflective surfaces of the headlight are designed and positioned with the type of OEM bulb used. Any alteration of the bulb or a significantly brighter bulb may result in scatter of the light, or in some cases dazzling other road users. Having said that, I doubt it will fail the MOT, as the testers are more concerned with the fact that they work at all and also the level of the headlight.

I wouldn't worry about either if I were you.

Just a thought but does the HL adjuster still work when aftermarket HIDs are fitted to a PFL CTR?

As per Jermal, my EP3 passed MOT at main dealer with N1 and Spoon B-pipe. :smt023

Just to let you know, a NT can fail your car for a noisey exhaust;)

VERY doubtfull he/she will, but you never know.

Just to let you know, a NT can fail your car for a noisey exhaust;)

VERY doubtfull he/she will, but you never know.

That is on the premise that the silencer for that exhaust is faulty/not working

Method of Inspection

Assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle

Reason for rejection

A silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition

Nevertheless, lots of people have sailed through MOT's with N1's on, myself included. I've also got the Spoon B pipe on which makes it even more boomy and had no issues.

that quote is out of date by quite a bit i'm afraid, an NT is required to compare it to a similar vehicle with a STANDARD exhaust ;)
HID wise it depends on the beam pattern, won't know till it's checked

If you have a face lift then it will almost certainly pass as the projector lenses are well suited to HID.

If not they may or may not pass due to the scatter on the beam.

Anyhow.....its a 10 min job to pop your old bulbs back in if they do fail. It's not like you have to remove the kit....

My kits have a good beam anyhow so I doubt you will have any problems.

HTH

Lee

PS, I very much doubt it will fail on the spoon either unless the MOT chap is a tool.

That is on the premise that the silencer for that exhaust is faulty/not working

Nevertheless, lots of people have sailed through MOT's with N1's on, myself included. I've also got the Spoon B pipe on which makes it even more boomy and had no issues.

That quote is wrong and out of date, and yes, as i said, VERY doubtfull it will fail, but it is possible as the rule's are black and white.

I had my car MOT'd last October and the tester was a bit funny about the HIDs I've got fitted. He didn't fail it, just gave me advisories for "Headlight not in good working order but not adversely affecting beam image". Seems like a bit of a contradiction to me!!

that quote is out of date by quite a bit i'm afraid, an NT is required to compare it to a similar vehicle with a STANDARD exhaust ;)
HID wise it depends on the beam pattern, won't know till it's checked

That quote is wrong and out of date, and yes, as i said, VERY doubtfull it will fail, but it is possible as the rule's are black and white.

Thanks for the heads up chaps. Are you both testers then?

Back