• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MOT Expiration/Void ?

Morning

I had a chat with a friend last night about MOT's

I said that I usually get my car MOT'd about 3 weeks before the current ticket expires. (To give me time to buy source best part prices myself) He said that if you put your car in for an MOT and it fails - it voids any existing/valid ticket....

I can see his logic but is this true? I don't think it is personally.

Morning

I had a chat with a friend last night about MOT's

I said that I usually get my car MOT'd about 3 weeks before the current ticket expires. (To give me time to buy source best part prices myself) He said that if you put your car in for an MOT and it fails - it voids any existing/valid ticket....

I can see his logic but is this true? I don't think it is personally.

Would say talking rubbish as you have a printed MOT for 12 months

a car that does not have a current MOT Certificate is not allowed to be used on the road except when going for repairs for a test, or to a prearranged test.

Well, it depends on two things.
[h=2]If your current MOT has expired[/h]The law is quite clear: you MUST have an MOT. Without it your insurance is void and you’re breaking the law.
So say, for example, your MOT runs out on 30 November and you’ve got a test booked for that same day.
If your vehicle fails and you need to wait a day or two to get repairs then you shouldn’t be driving the car.
Although the law states that in this instance you can take the vehicle to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance or bring it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair.
But otherwise, driving around between test and repair is an offence.
[h=2]If your current MOT is still in date[/h]Here’s where it gets complicated.
To encourage drivers to keep on top of vehicle maintenance, the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) allows you to arrange a new MOT test up to one month before your current certificate ends.
In theory, this means that if it fails you’ve still got time to get quotes and get it fixed before the previous MOT actually expires. The earliest date that you can do this is printed on your existing certificate.
However, if the vehicle does fail the new MOT, you shouldn’t be driving it. Here’s why.
Although you’re not breaking the law by not having an MOT (because your old certificate is still valid, remember) you could be prosecuted for driving a defective vehicle, if stopped by the police.

Whether it’s a broken lightbulb or brake failure, you’d be guilty of driving a car that has known faults.

So, your best bet is to get it fixed ASAP and not to drive it in the meantime.

A VOSA spokesperson confirms: “Should you present your vehicle early and the vehicle fails the test, your original certificate still remains valid until its expiry date.
"But this does not mean that you are entitled to continue to use a defective vehicle.
“However, once the defects are repaired you can continue to use the vehicle until either it is retested or the original test certificate expires.
"Remember a current test certificate does not allow continued use of a defective vehicle on a public road.”
[h=2]What is roadworthy in the eyes of the law?[/h]The MOT is a test of roadworthiness, so if it fails on any point it’s safe to assume that the vehicle is unroadworthy in the eyes of the law.
Motoring lawyer Jeanette Miller says failing an MOT test does not automatically render a vehicle defective or unroadworthy.
However, should police pull you over and investigate further or you’re involved in an accident, there is a risk of prosecution under dangerous driving laws.
Jeanette says: “The fact that the vehicle has failed an MOT is probably a good sign that there is a material defect with the vehicle.
“The most serious offence for which you can be charged for using a vehicle that is not roadworthy is dangerous driving, for which the most serious punishment is two years in prison.”
She also warns that there is a string of offences for having a car with defective parts, even if they are not necessarily dangerous.
For example, driving with a defective exhaust or lights is punishable by a fine up to £1,000, while driving with defective brakes/steering/tyres is punishable with up to a £2500 fine and three penalty points.
And more importantly, a driver risks being convicted for using a vehicle with a known fault.
[h=2]Insurance implications[/h]Although the chances of being pulled over by the police (and them inspecting anything other than the condition of tyres and working order of lights) are slim, your insurer might come down harder should you have an accident.
You’d have a hard time convincing an insurer to validate any claims if you had an accident while using a vehicle that has failed a new MOT, even if the old certificate is still valid.
So, the onus here is on you to be sure the vehicle is not defective and is safe to be on the road.

Thanks fellas.

Heres another one for you (I have googled this and found not very helpful answers)...

If the EML is illuminated on the dash - is this a failure? (Obviously it could mean there is a problem elsewhere that will fail an MOT - for example, emissions) - but, does the fact the EML is illuminated automatically mean a test fail?

Thanks fellas.

Heres another one for you (I have googled this and found not very helpful answers)...

If the EML is illuminated on the dash - is this a failure? (Obviously it could mean there is a problem elsewhere that will fail an MOT - for example, emissions) - but, does the fact the EML is illuminated automatically mean a test fail?

Ask yourself this, what does it say in the manual? I bet it says something along the lines of 'stop driving and call the AA' something like that.

I would bet its a fail as its a warning light, much the same as having no water in your bottle is a fail. It's a visual check so I would think the EML being on is a warning something is wrong irrespective of the route cause

The manual would say that though, like it says to check absolutley everything before you drive your car - no one ever does!

The EML can come on for relatively insignificant issues that don't need addressing immediately. I just wondered if it is an auto-fail, even though the car could be perfectly safe to drive. The car may not be as reliable; but MOT's are not about reliability.

not sure what the rules are in england or the rest of the UK but in N.Ireland, engine warning light is a fail, so id maybe check that as i believe we follow the same regulations

If it fails then it does mean your car isnt road worthy,regardless if you have a valid mot cert or not. You can take your car home to do repairs or to another garage, but that should be the only driving you do, untill it has passed an mot.
This is something that comes up alot in the classic car world. An mot cert only means it passed that day, your car must be road worthy everyday, so continuing to drive it after a fail means you know it isnt road worthy. You could pass an mot on a friday, but still be done on the saturday for not having a road worthy car if something went wrong in the between time. It's like pre 65 cars, They no longer have to have an MOT, but a copper can still do you for not having a road worthy car. Hence most people with pre 65's still get them mot'd as a piece of mind.

@ Rossy T - and Airbag light too ;-)
@ ilovemyhonda - I reckon we'd follow the same rules bud...

yeah usually we get any amendments long after the rest of the UK, only really in the last 6 months i think that warning lights on the dash were a fail, pretty sure the EML is a fail aswell as ABS and airbag.

had an MOT passed last month EML on, whether it is enforced at each MOT station is questionable.

Back