• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

MX5 - Slow, cheap, missing 3 seats, roof and ~110bhp - well at least it's Japanese.

Lifted from my build thread on MX5Nutz, here's the EP3 replacement. Split from the Mrs at New Years, and the single life is a little costlier than I was expecting. So, as an extravagance the Civic had to go. One of the most depressing Sundays of my life seeing the poor girl drive away from my house. :(

Anyway, life goes on and I found a cheap project beater to keep my mind occupied. Taken a bit of getting used to, but it's got a lot of character and is a hoot to drive. I'll let the shameless copy/paste blurb do the talking...

:D

----

After a short search, I picked up my 5 last week for a bargain price of £500. It's a UK spec 1996 1.6, so the lower powered car but I'm not massively fussed about the power. Price was key here, and this car fitted the budget of "cheap" quite nicely.

Before I went to view the car I spoke with the owner for half hour or so about the car, and what her last 4 years with it. She said that the car needed (and I quote): "some attention to the suspension needed, the bumpers are a bit messy, and the roof leaks." Filled with a little apprehension, I took a trip down the motorway for a look on a Saturday.

What met me was a very uneven, dirty and sorry looking little 5!

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

Straight away I saw what she meant about the suspension, the OSF arch and the NSR rear arch were poles apart. I could get a fist between the wheel and arch on the NSR and bearly a finger on the OSF. "Some" attention needed indeed. The other thing she didn't mention was that it had a completely different wheel on the NSF! On the upside the roof hadn't leaked at all, and still hasn't even with all the rain we've been having over the last 3-4 days. Score.

I went away and gave it some thought, totted up what it was going to cost me to get it to a decent state and made an offer. Offer (and challenge!) accepted, and a buyer for my car I picked up the 5 and started collecting the bits I needed.

Replacement wheel off eBay for £20, and a very reasonable priced set of shocks from LagunaBlue94 on here and I was set to get the car safe (and level!).

As a bonus the car is taxed until October, and MOT'd until late August. No major advisories on the last MOT, and receipts for plugs and leads, tyres, brake calipers, etc.. in the last 6 months.

Clearly the OSF suspension needed attacking first, this is what we were met with once the wheel came of:

IMAG0052.jpg

The spring had snapped, popped off the collar and was resting on the wishbone. Slowly working it's way through with every turn... :trigger:

Next thing that needed attention was the very tatty looking bumpers. The rear was the victim of a reversing "incident":

IMAG0038.jpg

Both bumpers have had paint at some point in their life, and not good paint at that. It was flaking off all over the place, not to mention it was stone chipped and completely knackered:

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

After spending 4 hours getting frustrated stripping bumpers off the car, snapping bolts and drilling out said bolts I managed to get both bumpers up onto stands to take a look.

Bit of DA love at 180 grit to level off the bumpers and take off the crap paint:

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

Decided to smooth the front bumper completely, losing the number plate plinth and badge holes.

Before:

IMAG0055.jpg

During:

IMAG0058.jpg

Nearly finished preparing the front for priming:

IMAG0059.jpg

Finally after 5 hours work, managed to get the bumpers into the oven at the end of the day for priming:

IMAG0061.jpg

Didn't take many pictures DAing the bumpers at 120 grit due to the amount of dust kicked up! But here's the last pic before they went in for paint:

IMAG0062.jpg

I don't have any more pics as we ran out of daylight, and finished attaching the bumpers at 7.30pm Sunday night. Beer was needed! :D

Whilst the bumpers were cooking off I had to remove that awful fixed aerial that made the car look like a radio controlled toy! Dirty grommet on there at the moment, but will be replacing with a MX5Parts stubby when I get round to it.

IMAG0060.jpg

All in all, not bad for the first weekend of ownership:

New wheel
Replaced shocks all round
Front + rear bumpers fixed and resprayed

This weekend I plan to mop and correct as much of the paint as possible, then it's on to the to do list:

Refit Front plate on relocation bracket
Sand sand spray wiper arms
Detango lights and associated wiring
Stereo + iPod fitting
Oil and filter change
Rocker cover gasket replacement to fix oil leak

Once the above is sorted I might look into getting some new wheels, and maybe sort out the ride height if a decent set of shocks/coilies show up in the classifieds.

More to come once she's had a clean and a good drive at the weekend. :)

Haven't posted an update for a bit, had a fairly productive weekend with the car in between rainy spells.

Firstly, and most irritatingly I drilled the door cars and installed the tweeters. Went well, and was really proud of my neat handiwork. Those with a keen eye will realise my epic boo-boo in mounting the tweeter too far forward. Thinking about sound over practicality. Went to fit the door card back on and of course the tweeter hit the metal work on the door. Hacksaw, epoxy, cut thumb and a smidge of velcro later they're mounted and the door card fits again. Lesson learned!

IMAG0068.jpg

Next up, I wanted to do something about the state of the paintwork. The whole car felt like sandpaper, so I think it's safe to assume it's never been mopped... Set about mopping the car after two washes and was appalled at the amount of crap that came off. Even after two washes and many passes with the clay it still felt 'orrible. It also didn't shift the oily residue left by years of cheap car wash abuse, so much as I hate the idea it was time to break out the red bottle: T-Cut. Even after the above, this was the state of the pad after doing the backend of the car:

IMAG0070.jpg

However, the results are definitely worth it. Here's a mid point shot, right hand side shows the washed, clayed, T-Cut and PoorBoy's Blackholed. The left had just been washed:

IMAG0071.jpg

Unfortunately (and typically) it started to bucket it down, so had to abandon that. Went off to help a mate with his car instead, and after finishing that treated the 5 to a fresh sump of oil, new filters, and a new rocker cover gasket. More jobs off the list. :)

Here's the only pic I took of the car over the weekend that shows off the painted bumpers and a little bit of elbow grease. Not to mention the stilty height lol. C'mon MeisterRs...

Progress:

Before:

IMAG0046.jpg

After:

IMAG0072.jpg

More to come next weekend, weather pending!

Woo, more updates. :)

Today definitely wasn't happening without the assistance of bacon and several cups of tea. Few beers turned into a few beers more last night, so was feeling a little shady this morning. Hmmph.

IMAG0076.jpg

Bacon and tea down, started cracking on with what I started last weekend on the body work. The plan was to wash, mop, T-Cut, Poorboys and then wax the car which would hopefully remove the 15 years of muck, tar, and shitty car wash abuse from the paintwork. This was after one pass on the passenger door:

IMAG0079.jpg

Yarg.

Weapons of choice... Cannot recommend that 3M Marine Wax enough, it goes on brilliantly and comes off effortlessly with a microfibre cloth.

IMAG0077.jpg

Here's how she stood after the above:

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

Excuse my wonky driveway!

Quick bit of interior love:

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

Not a fan of the tango'd look at the front of the car, so armed with Mr Womble's guide I set about sorting that out:

IMAG0088.jpg

Nice and neat:

IMAG0090.jpg

Ready to go back on the car:

IMAG0091.jpg

Wee, wiring done:

IMAG0092.jpg

Couldn't resist another shiny shot as I walked to the house to sort the baking out:

IMAG0094.jpg

Aaaand one side done:

IMAG0095.jpg

Irritatingly the driver's side light was a complete pig to do, ended up cracking the lens whilst removing it. It's botched back together with two part epoxy for now but need to get another one sorted as I don't trust it at all.

Getting there though, pleased with the progress today as the rain held off. Bloody knackered now though, time for a beer! :)

Just a little update on the wheels, primed and got colour on two. They're cooking off in the airing cupboard at the moment, little flat and lacquer tomorrow and that's half way there. Ended up going for a dark gunmetal in the end over the bronze, can't take any credit for the lip though - all Trojan Skin's hard work!

IMAG0132.jpg

The only thing I don't like is that's a Vauxhall colour. ^_^

Copypasta from another forum..

Nice to see we play second fiddle to some other den of iniquity.

Good read though. Wife wants one of these...

Much as I love you guys and this place, you can't get me cheap MX5 bits and give me a wealth of useful advice. Besides, TRO is well placed in my bookmarks. Well above the 5 forum. :D

Cheers though matey. Steer the Mrs towards a pre FI'd one, if I had the money at the time I'd definitely would have plumped for the extra ponies.

Great read mate, and the car looks great with all the work you've put in, those rims are going to look sweet :D

Nice work on the paint there, my claybar comes up about that bad on the ctr usually! If not worse :/ will be trying out that 3M wax.

What's a FI'd one? Looks pretty good actually. That 3M wax comes in a tin strangely familiar to the Collinite I bought.

Cheers for the kind words all, it's been an interesting month or so of ownership and very fruitful. Looking forward to sending the previous owner pics of it once there new wheels are on and the ride height is sorted out. She was quite keen for me to keep her posted of my progress, might stick a BGW on there just to shine her on. :D

She does, can't believe how much abuse the "careful lady owner" had given it over the time she had it though!

Hmm, I doubt I will as it screws the rolling radius up. May opt for a set of 15s if they turn up though, dunno if I'd whore to my dream Rota RBs but you never know...

;)

[video=youtube;dxoD0FNt8Qo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoD0FNt8Qo[/video]

edit - A good vid, shame about the crash at the end up the parting comment made me giggle. Poor 5 though. :(

[video=youtube;h4e8HF5fnFE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4e8HF5fnFE&NR=1[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back