• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My 2008 Honda Civic Type R FD2

I need more power.
Its great through the bends but on long straights, if I floor it I feel like I could read a book.
I miss the Evo power output tbh.

So im now going to start saving for power mods in a hope that it'll give me the satisfaction I'm after.

I suspect it might. When I took the mods off mine to sell it felt completely flat.

I suspect it might. When I took the mods off mine to sell it felt completely flat.

Don't get me wrong, it's no slouch but after the Evo's and possibly the S15 it feels tame.

I enjoy the car but I don't really get the buzz from booting it like I used too.

I can see this starting to get expensive :lol:

:lol:
I haven't got that much money.

Supercharger isn't a bad shout mate, in terms of a hugely noticeable hike in performance anyway.

You know how expensive Honda's are to NA tune so would probably end up the cheaper option in the long run, although there is nothing better than a screaming NA set-up.

Stunning car either way Mark and looking forward to having a good nose at JAE, never had chance to have a good look around a FD2 :)

Cheers Pete

Tbh spending thousands on it isn't worth it in my opinion.
I think I'll stick too NA, the exhaust, intake and flashpro will cost enough on its own :lol:

Don't forget the decat pipe. Only about £90 and big difference in mid range. It's an easy driveway swap come MOT time too.

Cheers Pete

Tbh spending thousands on it isn't worth it in my opinion.
I think I'll stick too NA, the exhaust, intake and flashpro will cost enough on its own :lol:

There is something good about keeping the engine NA as Honda intended I agree, breathing mods and a good remap will make a big difference over standard.

What are the standard performance figures of the FD2?

Don't forget the decat pipe. Only about £90 and big difference in mid range. It's an easy driveway swap come MOT time too.

I'm worried about sound with a decat, the ATR sounded loads better without it.

There is something good about keeping the engine NA as Honda intended I agree, breathing mods and a good remap will make a big difference over standard.

What are the standard performance figures of the FD2?
Think it's 230bhp but not 100%

Shame you weren't at JAE last year Mark, you would have heard it (when it was running properly). Not loud at all really, fine on the motorway and cruising.

I guess it's all down to what you want out of your car. I keep saying I'd have another Evo even though I think I would miss the S2000. :lol:

I know what you're saying mate.
The FD is great and I can live with it day to day but in all honesty no Type R is a blistering fast machine.
You don't realise you'll miss the power until you do.

I know what you're saying mate.
The FD is great and I can live with it day to day but in all honesty no Type R is a blistering fast machine.
You don't realise you'll miss the power until you do.

Strong statement for a Type R forum lol

I'd say the FK2 might be classed as blisteringly fast after the ecu is hacked.

Get what you're saying, but I'd say it's a car capable of being driven fast in the right hands but out and out fast? No, I wouldn't say so.

I'd like to think the FK2 would stand up to a VAG-group-esque power boost from a mapping, but knowing Honda they've already squeezed pretty much all of the poke out of it from the factory being the first of a new generation of engine.

The handling side of things is fantastic, lots of cars would struggle to lose the FD or any other type r but the problem comes on the A roads.
As im commuting I do get challenges from other drivers, some I take and some I pass on.
It's when I take on a car I think it should beat but they stay with me. It's soul destroying.

Its not often but when it happens, it's annoying.
Other than that I do love the car. It's great but those "normal family cars" are starting to easily keep up with 200 bhp cars

My 2008 Honda Civic Type R FD2: Update 03/06/2015

If Dotty is going then I can listen to his.
Think he has a decat.

I do and it's not loud at all (toda decat and cat back)

You don't even have to get yourself an exhaust etc yet. You could just get flashpro and run a generic map off of it before you get a custom one. The exhaust design on these cars is very good, specifically the manifold 4-2 piece.

I think I had a flashpro etc on within two weeks of owning the car. While the k20 is great in standard form it lacks a bit of get go, I knew when I sold my DC5 which was also mapped etc that I'd have to get the same done with the FD2. I'm happy with its power , 240/180 on eurospecs rollers. Not looking to eek any more out of it as it does what it's meant to do and does it fine. :)

Decat/cat back and m&m honda airbox.

You could sell it and get a 5k Evo6, and spend more on fuel and servicing costs which seems a bit silly if it's just a commuter. If you want out and out straight line speed then you've bought the wrong car. Might I suggest a track day to go and see what the car can do and explore its limits a bit more? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought about doing a track day.
It's just everything costs money which I don't have in abundance at the min.

I won't be selling my FD, I've sold too many cars just lately so I'll be keeping this for a while. It's a great car but like you said it needs more oomph.

Back