• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

Well it will be very impressive if you could get 800bhp on pump fuel with the standard compression ratio!

We won't be running standard compression. I have limited it to 300ftlb at the moment on the stock motor as I don't want to damage the motor before we rebuild it. Its not being wound up until the forged LC motor is installed. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, will you be doing passenger rides at JAE? ;)

Yes pal, if you want a go.

In that case I presume you will be running race fuel?

No, I dont want to use race fuel as its a Street build, hopefully it will still be my Daily, although fuel consumption is becoming a bit much. But it will still have M.O.T, Tax and Insurance, and be completely legal to drive on the road.

Yes pal, if you want a go.

No, I dont want to use race fuel as its a Street build, hopefully it will still be my Daily, although fuel consumption is becoming a bit much. But it will still have M.O.T, Tax and Insurance, and be completely legal to drive on the road.

You have to ask :D?

We won't be running standard compression.

When I said in my first post you won't be able to make the power on the standard compression, you said, "Compression won't make much difference". But now you say you won't be running the standard compression ratio after all.

There is no way you can run serious boost(50psi??) on the standard CR on pump fuel without serious detonation issues, especially on an NA/Turbo conversion. Sure, you could add more fuel to suppress det at the top end, but it's common for engines to go bang that run too rich at the top end for too long, suffering from bore wash. Running meth injection would help, but I still don't see how this is achievable.

If rebuilding the engine on a regular basis is what you expect, then fair play.

You will just have to wait and see. Im not a mechanic, but after seeing some of the builds that have come out of TDi North, I trust their judgement 100%. If they say it can be done, I believe them.

If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen, but my aim is 10.5s 1/4 mile, and then drive it home.

I wish you all the best. I've had my own ups and downs with a 600bhp build and I'm running a very similar turbo/wastegate setup as you. :)

So, popped into TDi this morning with my Laptop and K-Pro software, and was having a play about with the idle control as its been dropping a little low. Paul came over to have a nosy and looked at a few settings, and noticed I was continuously running low boost.

Made a quick switch over to High Boost, and the car has got another kick up the arse, its noticeably faster. Its like a rocket.

So I ran a 12.6s @119mph on Low Boost.

We will see what I run with High Boost on the 30th....

Another quick update, Santa Pod's RWYB Challenge results for 16-06-12

Santapod16-6-12.png

Absolutely made up with that, especially as I wasn't running full boost. That result catapults me from 55th in the table to 19th :)

SantaPod16-6-121.png

Great going Tom! :cool:

With all these drag runs you're doing, it better last until August..! :lol:

Just looked at the results from the 16th again, what's Stefan Buckley up to in his EP3, that seems very slow even for a stock car...

I was having a chat with him as he was parked up next to me. I think he said he has only had his EP3 a few weeks, and it was his first time at the pod.

He was telling me about a few mods he had made, exhaust mainly, but I dont think he has had them mapped in.

Nice lad, Im expecting him to pop up on here soon.

Santa Pod again today, Hotel last night as I had a Birthday party to go to tonight. Wish I hadn't of bothered in all honesty. Woke up to rain, but the sun came out and dried everywhere up. Because it had rained the Strip opened late, and the queue of cars waiting to get on was massive. Ive never seen a RWYB so busy, there must have been 100 cars going down. By 1pm when they closed for lunch I had done a grand total of 4 runs.

In all honesty it was a poor day at the Pod. With waiting half an hour for a run, Marshals walking out in front of me when I was staged and people breaking down. Although I did see Darkhawk from CTRO and his 'acquaintance' in a 1.0 Fiesta running 21 seconds, and another nice chap who was in the process of building a Turbo EP3.

Times from today, nothing spectacular...

SantaPod30-6-12.jpg

I still think I can run a 12.2s with my current set up, just need the right conditions, not a 25mph headwind.

Shame that both the weather and amount of runners was against you today mate, with your commitment to get down Santapod at every oppourtunity though its only a matter of time until you get the ideal conditions to get into the early 12's

Yeah the track was greasy from the rain, and by the time I got back round my tyres had gone off again. Hopefully I will get another stint in before the TRO day in August.

Hi Tom.

I've literally just finished going through this thread from start to finish.

All I can say is, wow.. 8) This makes me NOT want to sell my teg in a year or so, but instead turbo the thing. :lol:

I'm trying to look for Dave's turbo'd DC5 that Paul was talking about.

Back