• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

Right then, a bit of an update. My car fund looks like its going down on a deposit on a house. So I am now stuck in limbo with a half built drag car. Now the plan to install the turbo cams, valve springs and push for 500bhp is still go, and will probably be done in January when TDi North is not as busy.

The Drag Series that I was looking at joining next year has been scraped, and a new one is going to be created, joining 2 series together to make one bigger series. Now Im not massively keen on this, so I am left in limbo again over wether its actually worth pursuing the 800bhp goal considering the car might only be visiting Pod on RWYB dates and not competitions. The basic rough estimate costs for what I need to reach the 800bhp and compete in competitions are around £10,000. Forged Engine, Driveshafts and a Cage. A huge expense for a weekend toy.

When I first bought the car, it was initially as a run around to put me on for a few months, until I moved house. Then i decided to keep it and use it as a daily and a track slag after I bought the DB9. This was before I caught the Drag racing bug. So what Im thinking is going back to the original plan of it being a track slag and entering into Time Attack next year. The car was originally built for track anyway, so it wouldn't take much to pass scrutineering, I would just need a cage, track slicks, electric cut off switched, a fire extinguisher and some other bits and bobs.

Basically looking at the car today, after I discovered the battery was flat again, I did have thoughts about breaking it and getting shut, but Ive put far too much time and effort, let alone money into it to give up. I want to enter competitions and time attack looks to be the better option for next year.

Sorry for the rant, Im just trying to decide what i want to do.

Would you be able to get the power down on a tight circuit if you went to Time Attack?

Although its pain in the backside, its better to spend the cash on another house rather on a car

Time Attack I'd say, that's if you'd get your kicks out of doing it.

I've talked to Neil quite a bit about it and it's quite frantic for him in the FN2 but he gets stuck behind cars on straights and that frustrates the **** out of him because he's much quicker on the bends normally. You shouldn't have that problem.

The only thing is getting 500bhp down in the wet. :lol:

Oh and you'll be rolling with the big boys with your setup, though I wouldn't let that put you off. Plus it is racing, not strictly on track so to speak because it's timed but you are out there with other cars and people do go off, so you'll need a "bent it" fund for if you fall off at some point.

Go for it Tom, sounds like you wouldn't need to do too much to get it track ready, so you might as well make e most of the build as it is. Go for the 500 figure and beast it round the bends;)

Just found this post re: Time Attack from a couple of months ago

Not really, I was told months ago by Neil at TDi that I can be brilliant at 1 thing, or average at everything. Its going to be a Drag Car eventually, hence the massive kit, so to make it go fast in a straight line it needs all the tread of the tyre on the ground, to help eliminate wheelspin, if I was going to do Time Attack or Track days, i would have the Camber adjusted so that when cornering the tread would be put down to make the car more stable on bends.

If I add the extra Camber now, it just spins the wheels in 3rd. It will still go around corners, but doesn't feel anywhere near as planted as it did.

I'm not trying to pi55 on your chips just thinking out loud

Don't you have enough houses already?!?!?....if this is the missus telling you what to do, tell her to FOAD it's your money :lol:

The thing is, with my set up I dont have to run 500bhp all the time. I can ask Paul to de-tune it to say 300-350bhp and have that as the low boost map, and then have a high boost map of 500+bhp. It would just be a case of setting up a switch to flip between the 2 maps. Probably on the steering wheel, then i can use the low boost map round corners, but when I come to a long straight I press the switch and unleash the hi-boost map, so I would technically have the best of both worlds. Going up against the big boys doesn't bother me, I know there are faster cars and better drivers in the class that I would be joining, but as long as its fun and I enjoy it thats the main thing.

Technically all I need to to do is have the Geo set up adjusted, and the electrical cut off switches installed and I would be good to go, but I want a cage as I am an aggressive driver, so would probably have an off at some point.

Danga, this will be our 4th house, but it goes towards the plan of retiring at 50, and ****ing off to Canada and living the high life.

Sorry dude, I thought I read a couple months back that you had already bought the 4th....that's what the DB9 money went to? Either way, you have gone too far with the CTR to just break it IMO, although £10k on an engine is pure craziness lol DO IT!

Don't apologize, the Aston money is what's paying for all this. It's been sat in the bank, we just haven't found the right house yet.

Maybe try tracking it first before deciding Time Attack is the route to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you doing property development or just buying and renting?

The house we are looking for will be a buy to let, which is why its taking so long to find the right one, as we dont have much of a budget to sort things out. The house we rent out now had to have a new boiler and plumbing done before we could let somebody move in. We can't do that this time, so its waiting for the right house to come on the market.

Maybe try tracking it first before deciding Time Attack is the route to go?

This is what I am thinking, possibly going down to Oulton Park early next year after I get the Geometry sorted and giving it a go with the boost switch and see how I fair.

After speaking with a few people I think the 800bhp plan is out the window now. So it will be set up for fast road and see what happens next year.

Tom, you should get yourself over on Hondas-on-track. Quite a few race in the Time Attack and VTEC Challange series and would be good to see you at one of their trackdays next year.

The VTEC challenge is actually a good shout, especially before making the jump up to Time Attack

I was thinking about what cars he'd be competing agaisnt

Well AFAIK he couldn't run a 420hp turbo car in VTEC Challenge, unless they have an open type class set for next year? Time Attack you're competing against the clock to set the fastest lap times. VTEC challenge is full racing, two very difference disciplines. If Tom has limited track experience, going full racing to 'step up' to Time Attack makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have looked into Vtec Challenge, and I would be allowed to run in certain races, but not all with me being turbo'd, but the regs may change next year. It does work out a bit cheaper at £300 per race than the £2500 upfront cost of Time Attack.

I would prefer to run in Time Attack as its not head to head racing, whereas Vtec Challenge is. There is more chance of bending the car.

I need to look into getting my race licence again, think I need a B licence for both series, as the only real racing experience I have is when i did karting when i was in my teens.

Well AFAIK he couldn't run a 420hp turbo car in VTEC Challenge, unless they have an open type class set for next year? Time Attack you're competing against the clock to set the fastest lap times. VTEC challenge is full racing, two very difference disciplines. If Tom has limited track experience, going full racing to 'step up' to Time Attack makes no sense whatsoever.

I stand corrected

Back