• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

Now that's an intercooler, I really need to start saving for a turbo conversion either that or target a wealthy fragile family member haha...

You need boost Pete, in any form hahahah.

How well do they cope with the power?

Brilliantly, no complaints, so good infact that I went back to my mate who worked at National Tyres 2 weeks after I bought them and bought 4 more. Ive got 2 left :)

So Ive noticed my exhaust has been blowing yesterday, and heard it again today. So I jacked the car up and started it, stuck my head underneath for a listen, nothing. Jacked up the drivers side, checked the whole exhaust, from down pipe to back box, nothing.

Started getting a little impatient, knelt up, and I must have been at the right angle to hear it, sounded like it was coming from the engine bay, stuck my head over the manifold and this sight greeted me....

Exhaust manifold is completely loose on the passenger side, 1 bolt is probably 7 or 8mm out, and there is a threaded stud with no bolt on it.

Shitums.

Blood and sand!

Lucky you've caught that by the looks of it. At least they've not snapped in the head.

Yeah I know, I think I will be driving into work very gingerly tomorrow and nipping into TDi on the way out.

So Ive noticed my exhaust has been blowing yesterday, and heard it again today. So I jacked the car up and started it, stuck my head underneath for a listen, nothing. Jacked up the drivers side, checked the whole exhaust, from down pipe to back box, nothing.

Started getting a little impatient, knelt up, and I must have been at the right angle to hear it, sounded like it was coming from the engine bay, stuck my head over the manifold and this sight greeted me....

Exhaust manifold is completely loose on the passenger side, 1 bolt is probably 7 or 8mm out, and there is a threaded stud with no bolt on it.

Shitums.

Holy sh1tballs!

Is the torque restricted by engine size or limited for some other reason?

286 lb ft seems low when your peak BHP is north of 400.

Running the stock motor, Paul at TDi said he didnt want to push any higher than 300ftlb as thats not far off the limit before you start smashing valves and pistons.

286 ftlb is down from the 310ftlb it ran last year. Probably because the manifold is hanging off.

Manifold is no longer hanging off, left the car with Ben at TDi at dinnertime, and picked it up after work (benefits of working less than 50 yards from TDi). Ben has tightened everything up and its given the car a massive kick up the arse.

The manifold coming loose must have been happening over a period of time, very slowly, as I havent notice anything different about the car. Now that its tightened up again, its building boost quicker, and is so much faster than this morning.

Good news Tom. Do you not have boost guages or is this something you wouldn't be able to spot?

I do have Boost gauges Chris, but it was still reaching 14Psi (my limit) it was just taking longer. Over a period of time, possibly months before I took it off the road for Winter, it has slowly, very slowly been losing boost. Not quickly enough for me to notice any problem until I heard it blowing.

Drove past yours in a huge queue of traffic up to the Morris dancer at the weekend. Car was looking good Tom, no longer hidden away at the back!!

Feel sorry for you in that traffic Hazz, Ive never seen our road that busy before. You should have nipped in for a brew.

Possibly my favourite build thread I've read so far! I know where I'm taking my car, when I start toying with mods. Epic car Tom!

Thanks, there is a list on this thread somewhere of all current modifications. Except for the Buddyclub Bonnet and Mugen Rear wing, as these have now been sold.

So took my car in to TDI so Lou could fix the oil leak from the turbo this afternoon. Oil leak fixed, and they sprayed the manifold again so it looks nice and tidy again, and resprayed the intercooler and had some colouring in time...

Back