• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Evo 8! now forsale pg23

Yeah it's my brothers, he's older than me so he had to go a step up and get an MR,lol.

I've been meaning to take a few photos of them both, but the weathers been pants. It looks stealthy as fook (can't tell from these pics though).

Deffo keep the wheels the same or similair colour, they just suit the body colour perfectly. Plus they're an awesome wheel on that car, just about perfect:cool:

you sir have the best brakes in the world.
:lol: cheers mate.. they certainly work well. dont rate the DS2500 pads that much tbh, after a hard session they finally work well, anything other than that, theres not as much bite as id like! ie, from cold theyre utter sh-te, get a bit better when warm. give them a bit of stick then theyre sh-t hot!!

Update...

Mapping is done!!!! :twisted: and it pulls like a MOTHER F-CKER!!!!! :D got it done last night. Not sure what power it is until i get it on the rollers, but the arse dyno says its quick!!! quicker than last time anyways. dont think its at the 400 level because of my cams, but the power delivery is perfect!! thats the main thing!!

Full boost by about 3500rpm, and all 4 wheels were spinning up in 3rd!!! feels good, especially with this cold weather.

:lol: cheers mate.. they certainly work well. dont rate the DS2500 pads that much tbh, after a hard session they finally work well, anything other than that, theres not as much bite as id like! ie, from cold theyre utter sh-te, get a bit better when warm. give them a bit of stick then theyre sh-t hot!!

Update...

Mapping is done!!!! :twisted: and it pulls like a MOTHER F-CKER!!!!! :D got it done last night. Not sure what power it is until i get it on the rollers, but the arse dyno says its quick!!! quicker than last time anyways. dont think its at the 400 level because of my cams, but the power delivery is perfect!! thats the main thing!!

Full boost by about 3500rpm, and all 4 wheels were spinning up in 3rd!!! feels good, especially with this cold weather.

Nice one mate, its awesome :cool:

I could bore you with talk of effective radii and weight transfer but I wont :cool:

my flat mate works for AP designing the road kits, never ceases to amaze me the quality of their stuff.

a while since ive updated this, but its not really the update anyone likes...
Car is offroad...I NEED A NEW GEARBOX :mad::mad::mad:
NO, i dont drive like a dick, NO i dont launch it,and i dont bang it through the gears etc :bad-words: . Its always had a slight crunch going into 2nd, and at higher revs it always crunched going into 4th. so ive had a feeling there was something wrong but wasnt sure.

It randomly got stuck in 4th a few months back, took alot of messing about to get it out, then it happened again the other day. managed to get it out and into another gear to finish my drive to work... about 100metres!! :mad:
anyways, on the way home, normal steady 30mph driving, went to put it to 4th and it felt like i hadent put the clutch down :shock: , thought WTF so tried again and the same happened, a slight grinding, and then it felt like i was pulling against a wall. there was no gate for the gear at all, when you pull down to try and select 4th, you can feel vibration and you can feel something turning through the lever , like a gear with sheered teeth. what a pain in the arse!!!!!!! :evil:

(HEADS UP to anyone who wants to get an Evo - the newer Gearboxes in the 8 and 9s have a known common issue with 4th and 6th gear. to accomodate the extra gear, 4th and 6th are spot welded rather than a full weld (to save money), and the parts are cut down to a thinner size, so are alot weaker to save space.)

i dont have the time or space at the mo to strip and rebuild it, and tbh, that job driveway stylee is a NO NO, done it once on my mates 5... and never again!
anyways, to get it back on road, i have a couple of options...

1 - Low mileage Second hand 6 Speed Gearbox off MLR (approx £500/£600+ fitting ontop approx £400). basically taking someones word the box is mint, and no issues, but possibly having the same problem down the line, and having to pay another fortune to replace.

2 - Fully Reconditioned 5 Speed Box from Norris Designs(they supply and fit everything for approx £1K). Alot more reliable, can take very high power (600hp/600ftlb) unlike the 6 speed which is said to be like chocolate above 400-450hp. Alot of people who mod their 8/9 swap their box from a 6 to a 5 for reliability,power etc.

I have decided to go for the 2nd one, and getting the more reliable,stronger gearbox which comes with a warrenty from Norris Designs, as i dont want this to happen again. and any problems, the car goes back to them!!

The only thing i was thinking, and wanted to ask you guys as it would be an unbiased view... for anyone who would look to get an Evo 8/9...

would anyone be put off buying a car if it had a 5 speed gearbox rather than the original 6 speed?
and what are your general views on it?

After doing some research on the Evo VIII's, I don't think you'd have a problem selling the car with a 5 speed box, especially if it was fitted by Norris designs. It's a well known fact that the 5 speed boxes are far stronger and if you were to put it up for sale on the MLR forum someone would snap it up.

I must admit I have been having a bit of a nose around MLR recently. The idea of a nice powerful 5 door is quite appealing atm. I could probably sell the DC5 and mods separately and get a VIII FQ300 or a MR if I'm lucky for the same sort of cash. I would only go for one with mileage sub 50k for a bit of peace of mind for things like you've experienced yourself. Ideally with a 5 speed box and a new clutch. Likelihood is I'll keep the Teg though.

Good choice on the 5 box, as Harv said.

Im no Evo master but when I was talking to Harv and Dott(IIRC) at JAE I remember them going on about the earlier 5 speed boxs being better and they felt more like a EP3 box, in regard to the throws.

I'd not be put of by one, even more so if its a ND's one.

If I was in the market for a later EVO then the 5sp certainly would'nt put me off! If anything it would be something a buyer should look for not be put off by imo, id imagine the driving experiance would be much improved aswell as your engine must be very torquey so no real need for a 6sp anyway, especially an unreliable one!

cheers for all the replys peeps!! good to know peoples opinions on it, and that some already know the issue without even owning the car..:lol:

Its booked in at Norris Designs for Wednesday, and should be done same day! i think im gonna buy a new Carbon Paddle Clutch (made by Competition Clutches) from RSE Motorsport and bring it with me just incase it needs changing, as Norris have pretty much the same clutch but for £200 more.

i just hope i dont get tempted for some shinney new parts whilst im there!!!:lol:

Just ordered a clutch from RSE Motorsport. i went for a:

Competition Stage 4, 6 Pad Ceramic Paddle Clutch. :D

Gonna see what condition my clutch is in, but i reckon ill whack this in anyways as the box is out, and sell the other clutch on.

Hopefully i make it there ok Wednesday morning!!!:(

Back