• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My Mugen CR-Z

Wheels & Tyres fitted!

Rota Grids and AD08s fitted!

To recap the wheels are Rota Grid 16" x 7.0 ET40 finished in bronze.

Went with 205/55/16 Yokohama AD08's due to the rave reviews off colleagues and online due to supreme dry grip. Perfect for the track days I have planned!

Lowering is next on the cards for sure!

IMG_20130510_135136_677.jpg

IMG_20130510_161210_499.jpg

IMG_20130510_161330_917.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks amazing, but wheels look tiny, maybe because of sidewalls?! Maybe a little lowering and it'll sort it out. You planning on lowering? Really nice car though fella, always find myself looking at these with interest when on the road, obv not mugen'd though ;)

That does look rather lovely. Good work so far. 8)

too much sidewall for me personally.

Great looking car though! :cool:

Looks amazing, but wheels look tiny, maybe because of sidewalls?! Maybe a little lowering and it'll sort it out. You planning on lowering? Really nice car though fella, always find myself looking at these with interest when on the road, obv not mugen'd though ;)

Cheers guys.

Went for the 55 sidewall as that is the same as stock, although slightly larger due to 205 width rather than 195.

No louder than my RE050A's on the road and comfort is the safe!

Drove to castlecombe and back today for japfest so they should be scrubbed in well now :)

I just need some better weather to enjoy them!

I do plan on lowering, eibach springs next month funds permitting!

Another pic:

IMG_20130511_181721_141.jpg

Needs dropping a tiny bit so the tyres full the arches a little better. New wheels are an improvement though!

Needs dropping a tiny bit so the tyres full the arches a little better. New wheels are an improvement though!

Got a little predicament though. Got two choices for lowering springs.

Option 1: Buy Eibach Pro springs

Option 2: Spend a little more and buy Spoon progressive road springs with the hope of fitting the Spoon dampers at a later date

Thing is, Eibachs cost around £170 inc VAT and the Spoon springs are around £310 inc VAT!

Decisions!

Great looking car, I can only imagine it cost you a fortune.

Mugen stuff is $$$.

I can't help but personally think you bought the wrong size wheels and thus tyres.

Now, I'm basing this on the fact you after a looker not a performer, hence the super expenise body kit and a Hybrid motor.

If that's the case what made you choose 16" wheels when the obvious aesthetical choice would be 17"s ?

If you went for comfort when choosing shoes and socks then you've made the right choice, but now you're looking at springs, which will instantly make the large sidewalls less effective.

Great looking car, I can only imagine it cost you a fortune.

Mugen stuff is $$$.

I can't help but personally think you bought the wrong size wheels and thus tyres.

Now, I'm basing this on the fact you after a looker not a performer, hence the super expenise body kit and a Hybrid motor.

If that's the case what made you choose 16" wheels when the obvious aesthetical choice would be 17"s ?

If you went for comfort when choosing shoes and socks then you've made the right choice, but now you're looking at springs, which will instantly make the large sidewalls less effective.

Hi mate,

I bought the CRZ with the Mugen kit already fitted so whilst around £1000 more expensive than equivilant models it was no where near as expensive as buying and fitting/painting the parts myself.

16" size is right for the car IMO, it doesn't warrant 17" wheels as it performas well with the 16", I didn't want to add anymore weight with bigger wheels and tyres and of course the additional cost of such e.g. AD08 for 16" size is £100 where as most 17" size are £150.

I know springs will affect the comfort naturally but springs and a lower profile/bigger wheel would be dtremental to comfort even more so.

I also plan to track the car, in fact I'm booked to do the evening session at donington this friday!

The CRZ handles very well in standard form and the tyre upgrade has assited it even more so, when combined with springs, a full geo set up and stiffer RARB I can only imagine it will get better.

As you can see on previous pages my car I have owned before this (supra's 250Z0 so power is never going to come close which is why am going for handling mods first as the CRZ is a far better handling car (from a weight POV) than the others which are more GT focused.

The economy of the CRZ was a second consideration to be honest, as you are right I do love the look of the car. Just don't be fooled that I am going to be posing around in it and not giving it some stick on track from time to time!

Private Plates fitted & pre-track day prep

So my V5 came on Monday night so finally got around to fitting my new plates tonight :)

Got them from an eBay stored called "perfectplates", only cost £12.99 inc VAT for 1st Class delivery and they are genuine road plates with the special code not show plates. They even came with a few sticky pads!

Got a track day at Donington park tomorrow evening so gave the car a well overdue wash! Checked all fluids and tyre pressures and removed anything that would rattle/roll around inside whilst going around the track. Also managed to secure my mats down with the proper clips.

Currently running 34psi all around, will monitor this on track as it will rise with hard driving. I may possibly lower it to 32 or 30 depending on how the AD08's react to the track conditions.

A few pics:

IMG_20130516_200853_759-Copy.jpg

IMG_20130516_200921_509-Copy.jpg

IMG_20130516_204543_574-Copy.jpg

IMG_20130516_200815_483-Copy.jpg

Trackday pics & video

Well the trackday was awesome, had plenty of fun and the CRZ did not let me down.

Decided to run 25psi in my front tyres and 26psi in the rear, with the hope of when hot having around 30psi in the tyres. I put 1psi more in the rear so the back end would be less inclined the understeer. And I was right, after 6/7 laps tyres were at a consistent "hot" pressure of 30psi whcih was perfect.

The car changes directions quickly and feels very nimble on the track. However the roll of stock suspension is noticeable and is something I would like to correct.

Another point worth noting is the stock gearing is very tall and leaves you needing to change mid corner sometimes which is never good. I got around this by entering the corners faster therefore bypassing the need to change down to then change up again!

A slightly modified final drive, 1 way LSD, front & rear Anti roll bars and adjustable springs/damper would make the CRZ a demon. Forget the power upgrades as they will be negligible on track.

I can't wait for my next session to be honest! My average MPG for the track day (this includes going to and from the track) was 25MPG!

Some rough lap times I gathered from watching my videos back:

Donington national Circuit
lap: 1.38
lap: 1.41
lap: 1.39
lap: 1.42

Some pics:

44905218_FB.jpg

227747187_FB.jpg

406070264_FB.jpg

492126810_FB.jpg

1525248140_FB.jpg