• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My nhb ep3

PG1 - intro, with before and after of cosmetic refurbs incl: wheels, gearknob, and the Megs 3 step
PG2 - HIDs 6k kit - Ballast location + quick brief
PG2 - TeamHeko Wind deflectors
PG3 - Custom Cover
PG4 - Graffiti tunnel pics & Rocker Refurb
PG5 - Eibachs, Spoon & Tie bar

When i bought my lady it was a bit tattered on the front end and the paint needs some bringing back to life. Also the wheels needed a mega refurb. other than all that it was a bargain price and with a mint engine at below avg miles, of course i couldn't resist!

so here are some pics as she was when i bought her...

photoside.jpg

here is the defects from previous owner...

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

here are the two rear wheels, all four are just as bad if not worse:

photo2-2.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

also the gear knob was horrible...chipped up from what looked like a hand full of rings! These defects may not seem like much but they are annoying and im really anal about things like that and things looking perfect :D

so to start off some of the bringing back to life stage i started with my knob. ok before i go any further please you dirty buggers the comments have all been said haha.:smt047 anyways....I checked out a how-to over CTRO on polishing your knob, and WOW what a result totally drool worthy self refurb that took only 30mins.

heres the pics:

Tools required..
DSC00936.jpg

Before:

DSC00937.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

:evil: definately not a good look

After:

DSC00940.jpg

DSC00941.jpg

:cool:PIMP, much better! i did try and look around on ebay to find a second hand knob but it wasnt successful. Either too expensive, or not right. so i took to the self refurb method and it is easy as pie. some people use an M10 bolt and hack saw the end off so it would fit in a drill(screw other end into the knob) but i didnt have a bolt so i bodged it tight with some tissue and tape :confused: hmm. It was just a case of holding some wet and dry, starting with a very low number(rougher grade) and spin it in your hand until the laquer is off, once this is off go up to a higher more finer grade of W&D until it looks almost good enough to use as it is. then to finish it of get a clean cloth and apply some metal polish in the same method of spinning the knob with the drill. the knob will go very deep gun metal color at that point you could flip the rag over and use a clean side to buff it up using the drill again. HEY PRESTO a very polished knob! certainly beats paying between 50-80 quid for a brand new oem one!

I then had the CTR dropped over at WickedWheels in Guildford for the refurb. fortunately for me the jap wheel paint is rubbish so he was able to get it stripped and re painted in a day which didn't cause any hassle being car-less.

A few probs - it seemed there is more than one standard wheel color so he had two sent over a lighter more flakey one, and a darker one. i opted for a slightly darker one as thought it would suit.

After Refurb:

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

its crazy how new a refurb makes them! i couldn't have been happier the car is starting too look more A1 condition....

the next stap i took was another bit of elbow grease and a trip to halfords to buy the megs 3 step...as hope to restore the paint shine on the majority of the car before the front gets a respray. Another shocked outcome, looked far better than i expected and had a great ''like new'' look too it.

Megs 3 step:

Reflections
DSC00951.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

DSC00958.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

Full view
DSC00952.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

DSC00984.jpg

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00959.jpg

I did this 3step after the basic two bucket method....i had to rush it as started late and was running out of light but either way it was just to get an idea of how affective the megs 3 step was and i must say i really recommend it for the money!

a member elsewhere recommended using Zaino, a little more expensive at £25 a bottle as £25 for the three megs! but supposedly a lot easier as its all spray on.

well there you have it a rather long intro into my car as current although it does have some team heko deflectors on it now they arrived today so fitted them this eve. will get a pic up soon.

Its booked in at TGM in fleet on monday next week for a bonnet respray...replacement center bumper...and splitter respray. so thats another step forwards :D

hope you enjoy what looks like many restoration work/mods to come, feel free to shout out some comments or suggestions :cool:

Cheers.
Andy

to come:

Kpro
Engine clean up...tis very slaggish under there

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking nice, agree with Loxy - need to get that FRSU done.

Also get those centre caps done as they look like the lighter silver to me.

Cheers guys, thanks for the link loxy...deffinately something I will get done.

C4doc...im struggling with the centre caps as can't fid any darker ones so think a self paint is the only option.thy were to match the previous Color as I went slightly darker this time round. I agree *** does bringthe finish down a lil. :-(

Welcome Andy my good friend, good to see you've signed up here mate. I started prepping your rocker cover last night by the way ;) Paul

Nice one mate. Looks better! You missed the tyre shine and exhaust polishing though.

welcome. :smt039

Just a quick update....

Ordered some HIDs from hids4u.co.uk. the kit was missing the power harness...so had to wait a couple of days:mad:

but not to worry the part arrived 2 days later(im just impatient!) i fitted the kit this afternoon. Its a 6000k 50w kit which does both HI/LOW beam. It literally was a case of plug and play. I fitted them in about 10 mins!

its the best upgrade i have done on any car i have had. the kit works totally fine with reflector style lights and unlike other companies does both beams...i also fitted some LEDs for the positioning lights to match the HIDs.

hids4u.co.uk £135

didn't get any pictures whilst fitting the camera was flat but ill take pictures of the ballast mount position etc in some daylight.
:cool:

the darker wheel coulour you speak of is the colour they used on the facelift cars wheels 2004 onwards hence why your centre caps would be a different colour. look on ebay see if you can find any facelift wheel caps

OK, so heres the pics of the ballast location.

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

the brightness is too amazing i want to just drive at night all the time now...im sure the novelty will wear off or at least thin out soon ;)

Back