• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My S15

Revitup in Elmsmere Port will do the same, but they'll want the car on site.

They do sometimes buy them outright to sell themselves but when I asked about the Subaru they didn't have the money spare to buy it, all their spare cash was tied up in stock, so they missed out in all honesty.

How much would you sell it for?

If I wasn't paying $16k a year for tuition I'd be tempted to ship it back this way, :lol:

Going to fire a few emails to ironlady imports all the same ;)

£500,but he got a better price than I could with a private sale so everyone was a winner .

Just like to add my two cents to this as I feel it may be appropriate!

I went from a FWD car in the form of an EP3 to an Mk1 MX5 and within the first few hours I had span it at 40mph, had my back end wayy out on a sliproad to a dual carridgeway just from accelerating (in a STRAIGHT LINE IN 3RD GEAR!!!) in the wet and changed my boxers more times than I'd care to admit. It was my first time driving a RWD car and within a few days I had considered selling it. Like you I missed going fast around B road twisties and I thought, meh, I've tried RWD and its not for me but nevertheless I decided to stick at it for a while longer..

Since then I've changed the wheels and tyres from 14x6 (I think) and budget 185/40 to 15x8 with 195/50 Toyo Proxies, sorted the suspension out with HSD DT Coilovers (FRSU this coming weekend) and inflated the tyres to the correct pressure (this is important) and its transformed the car from something that I thought was sure to kill me into probably the best handling car I've owned. It's literally on rails and I love every moment of it and wouldn't even consider selling it now. I can't even get the back end out now unless its really wet and I do something stupid.

They have to be driven differently to FWD, sure, and driving it like a FWD car is what sent me spinning at 40MPH on a main road. Just give it time man, do some research into tyres, tyre pressure and geo setups and I'll be surprised if you don't love it.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, that is very helpful as I am at a crossroad with it.

Since changing the rear tyres and the weather getting better she is a lot more stable. The front tyres need changing to get her feeling more stable in the corners and I need a FRSU. Also been looking at Wedssport sa55m alloys but if I do this then it's obviously off the market.

I knew it wouldn't sell fast but I'm itching to mod a car, which is another reason to keep it.

The only downside will be the 'what happens at winter'?

Get the Weds, then chuck some winter rubber on your stock wheels for when it's freezing pish wet.

It saves your best wheels from the ravages of winter too (this from the man who ruined a set of RE30s :lol: )

I've got winter tyres on my little pug 106 and they are staggeringly good. I know it's a long way from your s15 but I really can't believe the difference they made.

I'm keeping them on all year round :)

They make an even bigger difference on a rwd vehicle. Drive in a sedate manner and you'd scarcely know there's a inch of snow under your wheels. They chew up pretty quick once it warms up though (on something heavier/more powerful than a 106, anyway)

Man, RWD aint that bad.

Just don't drive it with your foot welded to the bulkhead all day.

Or turn the boost down; 'Yeah, I got 320RWHP - but can't drive it.....'

I feel invincible in my Mrs' Fiesta.

Cheers, that is very helpful as I am at a crossroad with it.

Since changing the rear tyres and the weather getting better she is a lot more stable. The front tyres need changing to get her feeling more stable in the corners and I need a FRSU. Also been looking at Wedssport sa55m alloys but if I do this then it's obviously off the market.

I knew it wouldn't sell fast but I'm itching to mod a car, which is another reason to keep it.

No worries man, it's something that crops up alot. The tyres, tyre pressure, wheel size etc etc make a much bigger difference than that of a FWD car so its worth doing. The S15 is an absolute beast of a motor, I'm sure it gets a lot of attention so would be a shame to sell!

In regards to winter, I just used my MX5 through this winter, well from December > Now and its coped fine, as mentioned just don't drive with your foot buried! The hardest part is when you see a FWD in the twisties in winter giving it beans and you want to join in and have a play but until you're confident with RWD I tend to let them go, it's all about summer man! Just think about all the old farts that drive their 330Ci bimmers all year round and don't end up in a hedge. They are RWD too.

I am getting a new car soon though, not because of RWD, just because the MX5 is massively impracticle and it needs some work doing (rust :() so it needs to come off the road for a bit! DC2 yO! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to driving a FWD car again and going into corners not giving a **** haha :D

Thanks for the advice lads

I do love the S15 and i took my mum out in it today and it passed the "stupid car" test.
I think with a bit of tinkering it'll be epic. Now all i need is to save cash.

Watch someone contact me to buy now :lol:

I would seriously debate the idea that a FWD Integra is faster round a B-road than a RWD Silvia.

I've driven mid-engine RWD MR2s NA and turbo in anger, and front-engine RWD Corvette in anger. I've had experiences of, but not ownership of fast FWD Leon Cupra and Type R FN2s on twisties too. The final experience was RR, in the form of 993 Targa S. I have to confess the last time I owned a FWD car I was 18.

It's hard to be categorical because the single biggest factor is the tyre in almost all scenarios for me, and it's not like each car had the same tyre nor wear, but I would confidently say RWD is faster than FWD and even more noticeably on twisties than on straights from all of my experiences. Demanding cornering grip as well as accelerative grip from the front tyres only is never going to be a match for separating the duties between the two axles. I genuinely don't think I could push a FWD car as quickly around a mountain road as I could a RWD car. For me, one of the biggest differences in the handling traits is that in a FWD car you get away with a lot more primitive throttle stabbing than you do in a RWD, where you'll provoke sometimes catastrophic loss of grip. It's all about linearity in a RWD car, with a reduced window for error. I suspect learning that lesson (note I'm not saying this to you, I'm saying it generally - no intention to offend) would improve FWD driving no end too.

Like you're saying though, I suppose it's strokes/folks. The main thing is you have a car you enjoy driving, and I like you cannot justify a part-time car, so mine has to be enjoyable all the time, all year. If yours is a DC5 then have at it. I would just preach a bit of learning time like the other guys here have - FWD just isn't as much fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back