• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New FK8 owners Q&A - everything you want to know and dare to ask here

In traffic light grand prix of days of old, if I switched the air con off, the missus knew it was time to hold on , and then the rollocking would start from her mouth..

In modern day cars though I think they are much more efficient...BUT...id still turn it off as surely its making the engine work harder at least

I had an interesting conversation about air con at Thruxton. I was sweating my ass off out on track as I have always turned it off during track sessions. Guy in the pits next to me said I was mad and that it wouldn't make any difference.

What are people thoughts on this?

At the most it's going to be using maybe 4hp, so ~1.25% of your maximum power, I doubt it'll make too much of a difference since you're not on maximum attack all the time.

Question relating to the inbuilt sat-nav.

We have some new roads up here (new city bypass) and it's not on the current system although we only got the car last week.

Is it possible to update the maps on the system and of so how?

Thanks!

hmmm, good question I am not 100% sure on. Maybe it downloads from the mother ship over the airwaves ? Or there is a plug in update from Honda at Service time or just as and when.

To be honest though, it would ignore that fast bypass and try taking you down the smallest, thinnest country roads at every opportunity. I use Maps on carplay now.

Thought I’d share what I found on the internet with you...probably useful in this hot weather.

When you press the unlock button on your remote, press and hold it again...all your windows will open releasing the hot air from your car. Note that you can close the windows remotely also by pressing and holding the lock button a second time.

Similar to most cars made post 1999 then ;)

How up to date is the in-built Sat Nav?

I loaded the latest update from the Garmin site a few days ago then travelled down to Edinburgh.

The whole queensferry Crossing and associated link roads were completely missing even though it opened a year ago.

Is this normal?

Dashcams - talk to me guys. who has installed one in the FK8. easy to do? is there a clean way to do without wires trailing around the place? recommendations on model (forward facing only? or rear facing as well?).

Dashcams - talk to me guys. who has installed one in the FK8. easy to do? is there a clean way to do without wires trailing around the place? recommendations on model (forward facing only? or rear facing as well?).

https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...Type-R-today&p=1362569&viewfull=1#post1362569

This is what I did. the cabling fits nicely behind the trim without any hassle. I haven't hardwired it yet, it's just plugged into my 2nd socket at the back. It's out of the way so I'm happy enough to leave it as is :)

The camera is awesome. Amazing video quality at a good price.

thanks SuperFLY, for some reason I really struggle with the Forum Thread/Post search so thanks for this link. :smt023

so this connects to the 12V socket next to the HDMI / USB connections. and the wire heads down the passenger A pillar trim / under glovebox / footwell area before plugging in yeah?

edit: and looking at the Amazon link it's strange as the non-GPS version is more expensive than the GPS version. ????

Took me 5 minutes to wire in a Nextbase dashcam direct to the fuse box rather than the 12v socket. Neater too. Cables all run easily enough and it's one wire to the negative screw then piggyback on to any fuse that has ignition control.

One thing though, the Nextbase hard wiring kit takes different fuses to the Honda fusebox, so you will need a packet of standard micro fuses from Halfords to do the bypass correctly.

Works like a treat.

Did you purchase the foot well lighting from rick? If so you can hard wire straight in to the connector block that came with it,
Loxy did this on his fk2 so might be in his thread

I have a small £99 Nextbase jobbie from Halfords sits behind my rear view mirror just slightly in sight so I can check its working. Wire goes into the 2nd socket. Get used to the wire hanging down and don't even notice it after a while. Quality is behind some more expensive ones but its absolutely fit for purpose.

I reckon all cars will come as standard in about 5 years time.... essential in my view.

Did you purchase the foot well lighting from rick? If so you can hard wire straight in to the connector block that came with it,
Loxy did this on his fk2 so might be in his thread

I did get the lighting kit, so might tackle the two jobs together. but when you say hard wire, this sounds like a soldering iron job so might need someone with said skillz eh? plug and play I can do :)

The connector that comes with Rick's kit has a positive controlled with the headlights. That wouldn't be any use for a dashcam.

so this connects to the 12V socket next to the HDMI / USB connections. and the wire heads down the passenger A pillar trim / under glovebox / footwell area before plugging in yeah?

edit: and looking at the Amazon link it's strange as the non-GPS version is more expensive than the GPS version. ????

yeh it's a usb cable but it plugs into a dual socket adapter. wired down under the trim behind the glovebox etc.. as you mentioned.

The amazon link I said in my post it wasn't the one I bought, it was just showing the same model.

The gps unit is the mount so technically you could get the camera without and buy the gps mount but best to find one with it all included if you so wish. Presuming you want that camera at all, you might want something different :)

Back