• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

NYA's Supercharged R53 Cooper S *work in progress*

I like them. Meant to be a giggle and they make a nice noise. Enjoy.

I like them. Meant to be a giggle and they make a nice noise. Enjoy.

Cheers Chris. It is a very fun little car, the charger has a great little whine to it, and it's got some decent tyres, so sticks like sh!t to a blanket. All in it is a great little car and one that even i'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of.
We got ourselves a DAB Adapter today so we can pick up digital radio channels, but we don't have to swap out the OEM head unit with the one we got.

If you can get a water temp gauge fitted! The stock one never reads over normal and they are prone to overheating due to the stat failing and you never know. Then it's head gasket if that happens. Fun cars though. My wife had one for a while

Only just seen this... I feel obliged to say "but it's not a real mini" :p

I owned a '02 cooper a long while ago... sounded great from low RPM. Handling was decent but that powersteering whine drove me nuts, they're so fecking noisy!

Cheers Richo I'll get on that as I've got a spare Depo one in my shed.

H, I know man. It feels wrong calling it a Mini. But at least it's not the new gigantosaur things that BMW are turning out now :lol: And yeah power steering :mad: There is a fix apparently. Just needs packing the steering column out with a nice heavy grease. We'll see hahaha

I wasn't expecting fwd to be honest but in context, I get it! Didn't realise the price of these now!

Lol. The fwd surprised me too. I was looking at big body Lexus stuff like the GS400's etc. But with Lyns wanting to learn, it made sense to go small. And for what we've paid this thing is a bargain. Compared to the first one we looked at this is mint.

I owned a '02 cooper a long while ago... sounded great from low RPM. Handling was decent but that powersteering whine drove me nuts, they're so fecking noisy!

Is that what the distinctive noise is on them then?

Yea, I got money off when I bought mine because I said the powersteering pump is on the way out. The stealer agreed and knocked £500 off... I took it to a garage I use and they said they're like that from new, all of them... So a cool £500 in my pocket there :lol:

Yea, I got money off when I bought mine because I said the powersteering pump is on the way out. The stealer agreed and knocked £500 off... I took it to a garage I use and they said they're like that from new, all of them... So a cool £500 in my pocket there :lol:

:lol:

I always wondered what it was. I presumed it would be a cam chain or something, similar to the K20 noise but a lot more annoying and loud. Then again I don't know if the engine from that era is chain or belt driven.

The Mini One and Cooper are Cam belt apparently. But the Cooper S is a chain. The chain is supposedly guaranteed for the life of the car and you just upgrade the tensioner. Don't know how much I trust that so I'll have a look at it when I change the lower pulley. Got a 17% reduction pulley on order. It's the most you can get away with, without needing a remap and new injectors etc. Once the Skyline is done and on the road, I'll have a bit more money for the Mini. Fuelling will be the first bit that gets attention along with an updated intercooler. Then it'll be time to look at getting the charger rebuilt and upgraded. Been looking at JabbaSport who main VAG stuff but will happily rework Eaton Screw Chargers.

Jimbo it's the 6 Speed Getrag bad boy. It's got a superb shift feel to it. Really nice and positive like the MX5 shift.

Karl, I didn't hear you complaining at JAE..................errr, wait, what??!?!

Jimbo it's the 6 Speed Getrag bad boy. It's got a superb shift feel to it. Really nice and positive like the MX5 shift.

Karl, I didn't hear you complaining at JAE..................errr, wait, what??!?!

Thats good news, I had a mini with the 5 speed and it wasn't great.

I have something with a better box than the 5 now though

Parts are here for the power upgrades. A -17% reduced KAVS Supercharger Pulley, a KAVS +2% Lightweight Crankshaft pulley, and finally a KAVS +5% Alternator Pulley along with the needed shortened belt and some NGK Plugs in a -1 degree colder range.
I've also got a large ITG cone filter coming to do the "Dave F" Mod on the airbox (think Hondata/DIY style), basically replace the panel with a larger cone filter, and fit a couple of PVC Bends up to the scuttle to get colder air.
Finally i've got a Miltek Unsilenced Centre Section coming complete with a Miltek Back Box.

Once that little lot is on, it's down to Tuning Lab for a decent map. Most people with roughly the same parts are seeing between 210 and 230bhp, but due to the smaller charger pulley, they are seeing massive torque gains, some getting around the 200lb plus mark, which is up from approx. 150lb.

Once i've got a bit more cash in the bank, i'll go for a decent manifold with a sport CAT to keep it all legal but still better flowing than the OEM one.

With the power i'll upgrade the braking, RED Stuff pads are supposed to be brilliant for the Mini, so i'll go with proven, plus i'll get some GP Discs and the caliper brackets. Only going to go with springs for now as most people complain of driveshaft knock when they take these too low, and I CBA to raise the engine. Also decided on some lightweight wheels, probably OZ Ultra Leggara's with some nice sticky rubber.

I'm toying with the idea of a few track days with the Mini and the 32 will be for drift duties.

Gonna keep an eye on this. Do like a MINI

Owned an R56 Cooper S and also an R60 JCW Countryman.

MiniTorque forum full of loads of info on these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seen a few Mini's at track days and the owners seem to have a blast with them so I'm sure you'll have a giggle with it!

Back