• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil questions and recommendations here

Hi

The Pro S 5w-40 should burn off slower than the other grades you mentioned, but the more you use VTEC, the more oil it will burn (usually). It takes just under 5L.

Cheers

Tim
Thanks! There was a mention of a club discount in this thread somewhere, is this still available, and if so, how?

Hi

The prices currently available on our web site are the discounted prices, and these are available to everyone. We have had to change the way in which the prices are displayed and accessed as many members were not understanding how they got our best prices, and because of restrictions put in place by Google Shopping regarding split members / non-members pricing.

We have not taken the discounts away they are just easier to get!

It's changing again in the future though and there is a 15% off engine oil offer coming up.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

The prices currently available on our web site are the discounted prices, and these are available to everyone. We have had to change the way in which the prices are displayed and accessed as many members were not understanding how they got our best prices, and because of restrictions put in place by Google Shopping regarding split members / non-members pricing.

We have not taken the discounts away they are just easier to get!

It's changing again in the future though and there is a 15% off engine oil offer coming up.

Cheers

Tim

Great, will keep my eyes peeled for the 15% offer, thanks

Hello, how are you? I own a 1996 JDM Honda Integra Type R...I live in Moncton, New-Brunswick, Canada

I imported this car staright from Japan last year, I drove it for maybe a month or so and then stored it and never drove it since...The season has started not too long ago and I was looking to take the car out real soon...

What would you reccomend on fluid changes for my car???

Please, get back to me, thanks and take care.

Hi

Not sure what oils you can get your hands on, but a good 5w-40 in the engine and a 70w-80/75w-80 for the gearbox is ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Hey Tim, thanks for the reply...I was looking on the Red Line ebsite yesterday and stumbled upon a 5W20 engine oil, it said it was ideal for Acura/Honda, Mazda, Scion for the import section...When I looked at the 5W40 it said it was ideal for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, VW...

So what's the verdict hahaha? 5W20 or 5W40? (Just so you know, I am not second guessing you, just curious and want to make sure I feed the engine the exact oil it needs, not to forget the climate of where I live in Eastern Canada Maritimes...)

As for the gerabox oil...I was looking at the MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil...I assume that's the right one???

Thanks for your help, hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 5w-20 is aimed at the newer Hondas. In yours, it's likely to burn off the 5w-20 at a very high rate (more than a litre per 1000 miles), especially if you like to ue VTEC. The 5w-40 is a much more sensible option for your car and the Redline one is a very good oil. The MTL is ideal.

Cheers

Tim

Who doesn't like to use VTEC? Hahahaha, well I am so glad I got in contact with you, I was almost going to buy that 5W20...Thanks for the help.

Is there any other brand name oils you would recommend for my car or would Red Line be #1?

Another thing I meant to ask you...Do you know anything about the right filter to use when changing the engine oil? Would OEM Honda be #1?

Thanks again Tim!!!

Amsoil are another good brand that you should be able to get hold of, their MTF is very popular for Honda gearboxes, but I'd probably go for Redline as their oils are ester based, making them a step above the Amsoil in quality terms.

OEM Honda filters are fine, the most popular we have are the HAMP ones.

Cheers

Tim

Yeah, Ive seen alot of Amsoil gearbox conversations on some online forums too...I find most forums boils down to Honda MTF, Red Line MTL and the GM synchromesh and sometimes like I mentioned, even Amsoil...

It's just really confusing, because Ill get the odd comment here and there about Red Line being the worse thing you can put into a N/A Integra tranny with spirited driving only (no race or drag) and I'll see another comment about Red Line being the best thing to ever happen to Honda transmissions.

Alot of them are saying Honda MTF thats it thats all, don't put anything else in there...

I just find it real hard to pick and choose which gearbox oil to go with, so many confusing comments everywheres, it's unreal.

As far as manufacturer fluids go, the Honda MTF is pretty good, but it's not as good as a top quality aftermarket oil, like the Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL. I know the GM one over here is nothing special at all.

The Honda one is made from a modified mineral oil, meaning that it's better than a bog standard MTF, but not as good as a genuine PAO synthetic (like the Amsoil) or an ester PAO blend (Redline).

Cheers

Tim

So for a N/A Integra tranny with spirited driving and some VTEC engagement as well...Red Line wouldn't be overkill? I'm only running around 200HP and just under 150 pounds of torque...

I just saw some comments on some Honda and Integra forums about Red Line being too much for my car and they would only recommend for other cars, something about being too thick or too thin compared to the Honda MTF...

You don't really have such a thing as overkill with oil, the better the oil is, the more protection your car gets. Race quality oils in a 1.0L runabout driven by a granny will give more protection than the standard stuff the manufacturer recommends. If you want the best for your Integra, go for the Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF. The people that commented about the Redline may well be thinking of the Redline Shockproof oils (their most popular gear oils) and they're right, those are too thick for a Honda.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the wise information once again, I never noticed that line of shockproof oil...I went on Red Line's official website to get more information on that product...Now I know what you mean, and come to think of it, on most forums the word shockproof was on there quite often...Ill be getting the MTL 70W80 GL-4 in that case...

Thanks again, I know I can ask A LOT and A LOT of questions...Sorry!!!

Glad to help, there's a lot of rubbish put on forums and we try to make some sense of it.

Cheers

Tim

I see you're online Simon/Tim. :D What oil would you recommend for a very high mileage (270k), Volvo V70 2.5 petrol? I don't want to spend lots of money as the car will be scrapped in a couple of months, but would like to change the oil before I set off on a very long adventure!

Do you sell anything suitable? I've got no idea how much I'd need for an oil change, but could find out...

Anyone in the need for any oil advice or recommendations?

We've now got our End Of Season Sale running, so it's a good time to pay us a visit!

cheers

oilman

Back