• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Partyvan's 270bhp N/A track slut

I know it's not what it's designed for, but 14s QM out of a 270hp 1100kg car isn't great is it? :| Is it the box killing it at the top end?

Standard they do a mid 15, so doing a 14.0 is to be expected.

The top speed of the car is 145mph, I only reach 104mph on the strip, so no it's not affecting the top end. It's a closer ratio box so makes it quicker in every gear.

It was half a second quicker than a brand new FK2, to put it into perspective.

No worries :D

Today's progress was to swap the Skunk2 gearknob for a lighter Tegiwa duracon one. It's loads better.
20160329_150420_zpsg8hkyxf5.jpg

Since having the front end apart it's had just plain water in it, so drained that today and refilled and bled with correct Honda coolant
20160329_173509_zpsnptitoyu.jpg

Rear wiper removed and blanked
20160324_165328_zpsmyicmbxd.jpg

Added a Stuke front splitter. It's aluminium so fairly light. And very sturdy.
20160329_162119_zpsyglo9a6s.jpg

And here's the corner canards added, plus numberplate back on. Ready to fit :) It's now back on the car and looks awesome.
20160329_170505_zpsckvm9rha.jpg

Only issue is now the rear of the car needs some mad aero too! One month till it's on track.

How deep are those splitters? I'm guessing they don't cover the engine compartment enough to class as a diffuser? I like the idea of fitting one of those as a good eye catcher but deep down want something a bit more technical with purpose aka proper front diffuser. No a dig his genuinely interested how much it works at doing its job.

Loving the the look of the front bumper though. Looks purposeful!

And as for rear aero I cut my rear bumper in half to minimize the parachuting effect and have a 'stuke type' rear diffuser that was home made before they came on the scene. I think it does have some kind of effect more so if it was a full bumper but it looks kind of alright also. Ideally I want (beside a BTCC wing) is a true lairy time attack style frp rear diffuser. There's a few universal types that I'm tempted to try out but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Need to get friendly with a glass Fibre place I think.

They are about the same depth as the standard underside of the bumper, apparently they make 146kg of downforce at 100mph. It's mounted to the bumper from below, plus the support bars. But it really needs tagging in to the crossmember which I will look into. And as you say, a flat floor leading into a rear diffuser would be the one.

It's all fairly futile though, as fluid dynamics dictate it needs to be less than 20mm off the ground to have a real effect.

I'm going to cut holes in my rear for sure :) Parachute effect is proven, some drag cars get 2-3mph extra with the holes. Good luck with your aero. Not tempted on a full flat floor tagged into front and rear and skirts?

I've had a little look at them and seen they're only really designed for the face lift bumper which would seem it would cause hassles for me to fit. Maybe if I slapped on some kind of cheap flat bottomed rubber splitter first then could fit that...but then I'm adding extra weight and not achieving a great deal probably. There's no doubt they look the part though.

There lies ire another issue for its effectiveness. For scruitneering the cars need to have a minimum height of 40mm so that would cause further issue to gain any real benefit from it. Think I'll just have to go the original route and create a nice lightweight wooden/plastic affair.

ive never really been a fan of the look of th circles cut into the bumpers and that's why I went for the entire half cut bumper. I understand the practical reasons just not a huge fan aesthetically. I would like a flat bottom and something I'd be tempted by in the future but like I said on my thread the car hugely outweighs my driver skill right now but is something to look into for the future. Finding the right material and then making it fit is the bit that puts me off....I'm just being lazy :).

Insaw last night ight actually Stuke make side skirt winglets things now which looked kind of cool also and would make making a flat bottom a lot easier...however since I've removed my side skirts they wouldn't fit all too well.

Thankyou guys!

Here's how she currently stands. Pretty much ready for track, bar needing an MOT and some tiny jobs.

DSCN1505_zps2sowzoig.jpg

DSCN1507_zpsilfdfoxh.jpg

DSCN1488_zpstens2z1l.jpg

DSCN1494_zpsmgqfajx9.jpg

DSCN1515_zps2tivz4bs.jpg

DSCN1511_zpsyxcjta4m.jpg

I've fitted a pair of the new Toyo R888-R tyres, will let you know how I get on with them over the coming weeks. Impressions on the road are predictable - they have good steering response but are very noisy and hitting standing water is like hitting a kerb.
20160403_115823_zpsq1wgjaxe.jpg

20160403_113024_zps9lntsamn.jpg

toyo-proxes-r888r_zpsrzkictne.jpg

I suspect it's just another case of hype over substance!

More soon :)

Looks spot on.

Regarding the 888-R, I was on the TOYO stand for the Autosport show sharing the stand with them. I was chatting to their sales rep and he said that the 888-R are an improvement in the dry but a huge step backwards in the wet. I've only heard good things so far from people running them, but everyone that has it has been dry, so yet to hear anything real life about wet conditions.

Although just by by looking at the cut of the tyres you can see that the way they dispel water is a little questionable. There's no direction on the tyres for starters. My friend had a set fitted and the garage had to ring Toyo to confirm the way to fit them. To which they responded there wasn't a specific direction, just the thick grooves to be inside of the wheels.

Toyo will be withdrawing the original 888's this year so trying to get hold of a set will be pretty difficult/costly.

I I hope they work well for you dude. I know they certainly will in the dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutly cracking looking motor mate. Getting some much ideas for my own ep3. Maybe an idea to polish or replace the headlights? they ar not as shiney as the rest of the car.

Good job man, keep on going!

Back