• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Pete's TDi North/Grinspeed tuned NHB CTR & BMW 335i Coupe

Ooooh, they look lovely! Have you been told off for using unnecessary brake force for a family holiday yet? :lol:

Thanks buddy, never say never but the Eibach spring and Geo set-up is probably enough for fast road use and the odd track day.

I have to agree with this.

BUT...... coilovers are shiney and good.....

Yeah depending on the type of B roads you have, coilovers could completely ruin your driving experience. Mine were fantastic on track but most of the roads by me undulate quite badly so I used to spend a fair amount of time in the air (as the car was constantly taking off).

For a car that's still a daily driver, with hopefully the odd track day thrown in, I think the current set-up combines the best of both worlds.

If it was a full on focused track car then no doubt coilovers would be the way to go, but I don't want to risk unbearable daily commuting to improve the handling further, for road use its already nimble enough through the bends.

In other news I spent a further fortune today on ordering some new bits ready to get the car JAE ready, some genuine Honda parts that I feel need refreshing and some other bits and bobs including wheel nuts, cleaners and wax's.

I have also removed all of the decals on the car, bar the Type R boot badge which will be replaced by an FN2 Type R badge, getting the Type R decals off of the sideskirts was great fun bearing in mind they have been on the car for 13 years - inspired by a stunning cosmic EP3 I saw recently that had all the decals removed and was polished to an inch of its life :D

Few bits started arriving yesterday and today, my Mugen oil cap will be for sale shortly if anyone's interested...

27.08.jpg

Few more bits arrived from Honda today, new wiper arms, exterior door seals etc. the wife's moaning our house is starting to look like a parts department so at least I can get everything fitted over the Bank Holiday weekend;

28.08.jpg

The Bank Holiday weekend has given me the chance to fit some of the new parts that arrived throughout the week, the majority are OEM replacement parts that were looking tired and tatty on a 13 year old car.

First off I replaced the exterior door trim, pretty common problem of these getting weathered over time and quite a simple little job once you figure out how the old strip comes away from the door, only took about 10 minutes to do both sides and it looks 100 times better.

30.08 1.jpg

Then moved on and removed the EP3 style rear Type R badge, ready to be replaced with the FN2 style badge once the car has had its JAE detail, I have also ordered the FN2 style side skirt decals and some white Mugen decals which will also be put onto a clean car.

30.08 2.jpg

Aerowipers were the next thing to go, didn't mind the look of these originally but they have worn quite badly so when it came to replace them I have gone back to the OEM wipers which I actually think look better, the wiper arms themselves will also be replaced next weekend as they haven't aged well either, just waiting on the passenger side arm to arrive from Belgium.

30.08 3.jpg

J's Racing oil cap to replace the Mugen cap and matches nicely to the gold K Tuned dipstick and J's Racing strut brackets and torque damper.

30.08 4.jpg

Last but not least a nice little DIY job, cleaning the headlights using good old Colgate toothpaste, I was a bit sceptical about doing this but they have actually come up really well removing a lot of the grime off the lights and also probably smell fresher than a local chav moms breath haha

30.08 5.jpg
30.08 6.jpg

Some good attention to detail. :smt023

I'll be gazing longingly at this during JAE.

Holy smokes buddy, the difference in those headlights is incredible! That must have taken some elbow grease!

I hadn't realised the EP and FN badges were so different. The new ones will certainly suit the car better, nice touch.

Some good attention to detail. :smt023

I'll be gazing longingly at this during JAE.

Me too, can't wait to see it. I've been watching this thread since the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy smokes buddy, the difference in those headlights is incredible! That must have taken some elbow grease!

I hadn't realised the EP and FN badges were so different. The new ones will certainly suit the car better, nice touch.

Me too, can't wait to see it. I've been watching this thread since the beginning.

Cheers Jamie, they did come up pretty well in the end.

Looking forward to having a good nose around your EP3 too buddy, the level of work you have put in is incredible!!

Still got my centre console/door handles taking pride of place in the interior too ;)

I think we nailed the design on your console, I think I like it more than my own actually!

I noticed the other day that we started our threads a week apart, it's quite amazing how different we've managed to make the same car! It will be great to see them side by side.

I think we nailed the design on your console, I think I like it more than my own actually!

I noticed the other day that we started our threads a week apart, it's quite amazing how different we've managed to make the same car! It will be great to see them side by side.

The console does get a lot of comments mate, with the JDM recaros and facelift door cards it all flows really well, still cant get my head around how you do them so well lol

That's weird that we started our build threads so close together and the different options that we have gone for, will be great to get a few photos of the cars next to each other at JAE :D

It does look awesome. I can't believe the toothpaste worked!

I know, probably not as good as a proper restoration kit but £29 for that or £1 for a tube of toothpaste i thought it was definitely worth a try.

Car is coming off the road at the weekend ready for full on JAE prep on the days leading up to the event :)

Back