• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FD2 Price of a NEW FD2 CTR

If anyone knows anything more about this cars history please either post it up here or PM me.

I am concerned by the 2 owners in 18 months and the possibility of gearbox problems. I remember reading on some forums about an FD2 from this dealership that had gearbox problems and in the end, the customer got a replacement car.

Cheers!

- going back to the first post, yes, everything from Japan has gone up by over 40% from 12 months ago. (Yen from 220-230 down to 130 now) Cars, parts etc. I can't see anyone paying the best part of £30k for brand new FD2 now. I've also heard through the grapevine that GTR prices are set to rise as are Evo X prices.

Hardly what should be happening to try and get people buying again but this is what happens when a currency goes from being strong to weak almost overnight:mad: . No dealer in their right mind is going to list an FD2 at a loss.

Shame, NSX-R prices look even more crazy with the price of a 1994 NA1-R now being the best part of £80k OTR and £160k for an NA2-R!!!

If people in the UK are selling FD2s for £15K (1.9M yen) the japanese might start re-importing them from us! That's a saving of 1M yen.

J

If people in the UK are selling FD2s for £15K (1.9M yen) the japanese might start re-importing them from us! That's a saving of 1M yen.

J

We'll see what happens with the Yen in 2009.
The BOJ cut rates from 0.5 to 0.1%, I think we'll see negative interest in Japan again for the first time in years to start getting borrowing from Japan going again. YCT or Yen Carry Trade has always meant for a weak Yen which is what ultimately drives their economy. A strong yen = up **** streak for Japan! As an island of consumers, the £ needs to be strong. If we were reliant on export to drive 90% of our economy then the situation we are in now (shyte £) would be ideal. But the cost of a car, a TV, a PS3 all rising by 40% coupled with our financial struggles is bad news for us. We need price drops to get us spending again, not 40% increases!

Now is the time to borrow a few million £ from Japan in Yen.

Borrow 130,000,000 JPY = £1,000,000.

Watch the Yen weaken over the next 24 months, you'll be earning good interest in a Swiss or Australian bank. Pay it back at 200 JPY to the £ and pay back 35% less than you borrowed.

BOJ has something like 3billion USD owed from Chinese banks who borrowed to loan money to factories and other businesses to cope with both domestic demand (big increases in domestic business) and export.

Interest rates in China have been around 7%.

Now the Chinese banks are up **** streak as they borrowed in Yen so must repay in Yen. The interest they are getting back from the borrower isn't enough to cover their debts. Add the current world economic slowdown to the Chinese manufacturing woes and you have another country set for a rough ride both in financial sectors as well as their main one, manufacturing.

However, it was the YCT that screwed the Yen in the first place. Businesses throughout the world have been borrowing in Yen as its almost free money with such a low interest rate.

This borrowed cash has been used for investments - what we thought were safe. Property being one of them. As soon as the construction trade slowed and the Yen started to strengthen so many companies and investment firms cut losses and started paying back the loans in fear of a "crash" with the Yen.

As the Yen got stronger and stronger more and more was getting paid back. There are millions of people in Eastern Europe with Yen mortgages as again, such low interest rates. Imagine your monthly repayments and overall property debt rising by 40% over a 12 month period? Scary stuff.

You'd be surprised how much the Yen influences worldwide markets and how its been one of the most traded currencies for over 50 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
2008 - should have waited 2 hours :lol:

Interesting read, and you are right about yen affecting world economies. Also in 2009 Sony have said the wholesale price of their goods will be rising 30% because of this situation. Consumer electronics could be about to get a whole lot more expensive :eek:

With regard to the FD2 in question, someone on the FD2 board has said they have just bought a low mile FD2 for £15k, waiting for a reply to see if it is this one, i'm pretty sure it is as one has never been sold for this price before. tbh I can't see what the problem is as long as the car was either originally sold with a warranty, or is being re-sold with warranty. Would it not have been in Hondas interest to fix the box problem and sell the car on for £3k more?

If it is being sold cheap due to the 3rd gear problem experienced in many other FD2s that's just plain stupid as the problem rectifies itself with mileage.

OK Guys, put a deposit down on the car yesterday, not had a chance to test drive it as it's a good few hundred miles away but at the price I got it for I thought it was worth the punt.

The only reason I risked buying without trying is that it's at a honda main dealer and will come with a 2 year warranty.

They advised me the gearbox was stripped dwon and inspected by a honda master technician and no faults found.

So, fingers crossed i have a nice, low mile FD2 at a cracking price with a 2 year warranty.:)

Edy may come on and say the gearbox is a knacker pot, I've then got a bit of an issue.

The issue was a bit of a whine which they described as a characteristic of the car, not so sure about that, time will tell, but still thought at the price it was worth a punt.

I thought Edy had a problem with 3rd gear. Most FD2s, including mine, don't like it if your're lazy pushing 3rd gear home. Some folks see it as a waranty issue some, like me, see it as user error.

J

I thought Edy had a problem with 3rd gear. Most FD2s, including mine, don't like it if your're lazy pushing 3rd gear home. Some folks see it as a waranty issue some, like me, see it as user error.

J

Sounds almost identical to the FN2 fault.

AFAIK the car that Zero7 has just bought is pretty much spotless. I think the issue was that the diff was making a funny noise, but as has been stated, the gearbox has been stripped and inspected and is mechanically sound. The previous owner didn't want a new car with a strange sound, so got a refund and bought another FD2 elsewhere. That's fair enough in my book.

If that FD2 was at that price when I bought my DC5, I would have snapped it up without a moments hesitation. You've got yourself a real bargin there chap.

AFAIK the car that Zero7 has just bought is pretty much spotless. I think the issue was that the diff was making a funny noise, but as has been stated, the gearbox has been stripped and inspected and is mechanically sound. The previous owner didn't want a new car with a strange sound, so got a refund and bought another FD2 elsewhere. That's fair enough in my book.

If that FD2 was at that price when I bought my DC5, I would have snapped it up without a moments hesitation. You've got yourself a real bargin there chap.

Thank you very much for this post, it's put my mind at ease, plus the fact Honda have put a 2 year warranty on with the car makes me somewhat more comfortable with the purchase.

They are also faxing over a statement about the Gearbox etc...

Looking forward to picking it up at the end of the month, and, as you say, it's a cracking price, just couldn't turn it down. Shame I couldn't get the matts thrown in but the tax i did...:)

Back