• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

rattle/knoking over rough road tarmac or pot holes

I'm leaning towards it wing bushes now as it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. Everything else is brand new. It's definitely nothing to do with brakes either as I had the sound before I fitted new discs and still have it now so it rules that out too.

Haha sorry that was autocorrect on my iPhone. It was meant to say I'm leaning towards it being bushes. My top mounts are brand new as I fitted new hsd coilovers so I know it's not the top mounts. Bushes are the only thing I haven't replaced since owning the car.

I've had similar issues and I seem to have cured it by re-securing the bottom of the Exhaust manifold heatshield (it had rotted through and become loose at the bottom), replacing both front drop-links and removing the drive shaft heatshield.

It's a loud knocking I'm getting over bumps to do with something on the suspension side of things likes bushes. Everything else has been replaced and the heat shields wouldn't make the kind of noise I'm getting. On my last ep3 I had the annoying driveshaft heat shield rattle and I removed it in the end. It's doing my head in as I've literally changed everything else. It can only be bushes or maybe something to do with the steering rack. That's the only things left that I can think would cause a knocking sound.

It's a loud knocking I'm getting over bumps to do with something on the suspension side of things likes bushes. Everything else has been replaced and the heat shields wouldn't make the kind of noise I'm getting. On my last ep3 I had the annoying driveshaft heat shield rattle and I removed it in the end. It's doing my head in as I've literally changed everything else. It can only be bushes or maybe something to do with the steering rack. That's the only things left that I can think would cause a knocking sound.
. Did you change your top mounts ??

I had this problem. It was the top mount and it was a new one aswell. I had tried everything part from top mounts cause i thought no chance since their new so worth checking it.

I suppose I could check them but I wouldn't know how you would go about checking them for any play? I wouldn't have thought there would be anything wrong with them really as they have probably only done 1500 miles if that and I bought the coilovers brand new.

My top mounts had done less than that and one had a split in the rubber. Mine were kyb top mounts changed now though.

I would get everything else checked out first as it is bit of a pain taking it a part to find out it isnt that.

Hope you get to bottom of it.

Dont know how it is where you stay but up here the bloody speed bumps cause more damage than good and the pop holes slow you down enough anyway.

I'm down in kent and the roads are ***** where I live. So many pot holes and bumps it's ridiculous. My top mounts don't have rubber in them as there spherical mounts with adjustable camber etc.

Ohrite well godknows then lol. Try all the usual suspects then.

Have a look at the dampner check for any leaks, hope it isnt that but thats worse case.

Believe me I've been racking my brains to try and find it. I've fitted brand new coilovers, new track rod ends, bottom ball joints, anti rollbar bushes back and front. Bushes are the only things I haven't changed which are the next thing on my list to do.

What would I do to check them as visually they are perfect and are literally brand new and only been on the car a few months.

Tryed your steering arms (tie rods)? I recently picked up my ep3, the guy sayed it needed a track-rod end because of a knock. The knock would only happen on pretty big bumps but once i checked it,it was actually the n/s/f tie rod had play at the end closest to the rack. Got the part sitting here,havnt fitted it to confirm. You sayed you've replaced track rod ends,is there any play in the steering still?

Yeah I've replaced the track rod ends, bottom balljoints, anti rollbar links. Fitted brand new coilovers with top mounts. The steering rack is the only thing I'm not to sure on. Need somebody to check it all over. I also wanna polybush the whole car incase the standard bushes are worn which they probably are by now.

Poly bush will give more noises, if its silent and comfort go oem.

who had the type r at south mimms with real thick red tie rods ??
Were do you get them from ?

Did you replace the track rod ends just for the sake of it thouvh? Or was there actual play in them? Is there still play there? Or been re-checked? So you can rule out tie rods.

Back