• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Starter Civic..?

Wasn't sure about the section so I thought I'd post it in here :].

Soon, I'll need to be applying for my provisional, but what after that? I've not given much thought as to what car I'd be able to afford or be able to upkeep - but it has been niggling in the back of my head lately, with an increasing interest in motors.

Currently, I'm just wondering if there'd be any older Civics (the EK9 shape, but obviously not R) that insurance would be viable for. My only other thought would be a 2nd/3rd hand Smart Car, which surprisingly enough, I actually find appealing :).

Can anybody shed any light on this? :).

CJN, Scousefellas sprog started witha civic of some description. Maybe drop him a PM?

May be a good idea :). I'm still getting basic ideas at the moment, I'm still 16; just interested to see what people have to say because it's been bugging me :].

Get an old EK4 or something like that. You'll get beat on insurance but hey that's what you get. FFS i just realised that you're close to half my age and I only turned 30 on the 20th!

sorry but you're a **** and i hate you.
;)

Haha! That was totally random;. I'm glad that the height of our friendship has come to you hating me because I was born in 91! but yeah, I think I'll look into that EK4. I really like the idea of having an old shaped civic, just because I'm really into them at the moment.

Haha! That was totally random;. I'm glad that the height of our friendship has come to you hating me because I was born in 91! but yeah, I think I'll look into that EK4. I really like the idea of having an old shaped civic, just because I'm really into them at the moment.

They're bomb proof, nippy enough and can look pretty cool with a few insurance friendly mods for handling etc. I could destroy your next 10 years and take you out in the STI which will mean you'll want one at 21 and that'll be 4k insurance.

MWAHHAHAHAHAAA!!! Revenge.

PS - in 91 I was getting into Pearl Jam, watching Lineker score for Spurs and was coming home for lunch to watch the starting screens for The Last Ninja 3 on my Commodore 64.

ln3_cover_budget.jpg

So yeah I ****ing hate you :lol:

To add to the randomness get a C64 emulator, a copy of The Last Ninja 2 and try it. It's probably still one of the best games ever made including what comes out tomorrow.

Ved for the C64!

I had a Commodore Plus/4 - yep, technically it was superior to the C64 but it was more of a programming machine so I was writing BASIC back in '91. :lol:

Skel' - indeed you are a baby - I think everyone who is 30 on the board is gonna hate you - me included now.. ;) :lol:

Ved for the C64!

I had a Commodore Plus/4 - yep, technically it was superior to the C64 but it was more of a programming machine so I was writing BASIC back in '91. :lol:

Skel' - indeed you are a baby - I think everyone who is 30 on the board is gonna hate you - me included now.. ;) :lol:

10 PRINT "GO **** YOURSELF"
20 GOTO 10

EK4 - my other half has one and its almost hit 140k miles and hasnt missed a beat.

Whilst you may find me insufferable, I can simply kick back and bathe in the glory of my youth, blissfully unaware of the uncouth language passionately hurled at me! ;)

I tried, okay? What are you even talking about!? 30's not old...
much.

:lol:

To be quite honest though I envy how you've all seen how technology has developed! I'd love to have been around when my Dad was busting the high scores out on Gauntlet and DK! ;)

As for the EK4, I'll look into it :). I quickly googled it earlier, albeit without very much time to read up, and was surprised to see the word 'Swedish' crop up on occasion. Intriguing!

My first car was an EP1 (Same chassis as the EP3, just different components):

1.jpg

4.jpg

It was a 1.4 so is fairly insurance friendly. Mine wasnt as the amount of mods i did to it :lol:

Failing that as many others said, the EK4 is a good choice my friend owns one) or the 1.5LSi Version (Single Cam Vtec...I think the EK3?) - Its for sale too :lol:

Or if you wish to go older, the EG's are good chassis. Handle awesome, really light so are fairly nippy. They come in LSi and ESi (Single Cam Vtec and non-Vtec).

Anyhow, good choice on civics :cool:

Yep - the EK3 is probably the "best compromise" - 1.5 (cheaper tax) 112 (ish) bhp so half sensible performance, Economy Vtec so not too bad on fuel, and reliable as anything.

Plenty of "cheap" upgrades as well, EK9 suspension, steerign rack etc will bolt straight on, could do the hub swap and take advantage of its considerably bigger brakes too.

And you can pick them up for less than £1500 quid for a good one.

EG insurance will rape you unfortunately, and without spending a fair whack, you will get a rusty one.

Yeah, I've been browsing through auto trader, and I noticed many LSi's and 'Bali's (which look surprisingly similar to EK4's. I was surprised to see that the 5dr civc 1.4l is somehow a lower insurance group than the 3dr hatchbacks, 5dr being 8E and 3dr's coming in at around 9-10. Unfortunately they still seem quite high in my opinion (as my mum's on around 2-3) so I'll keep searching around. I will however, definitely think about looking into the EK4's and whatnot after I've had some experience, I reckon, because I'm really aware of how bad insurance can do you over, haha.

My mates just got an EK4, its got 134000 on the clock and still going strong. There are about a million different things to go on them, he's going with the JDM look, so has ordered a few nice parts eg. EK9 skirts for front and rear bumper, EK9 grill insert, JDM crystal clusters fro the front, and JDM smoked for the rear. He's got plans for Integra interior, and Carbon dash. Rota rims, and then possibly a VTEC swap or a Mini Me conversion. He paid 1300 quid for it, and it had a nice drop of about 45mm on it, and has been genearlly well cared for. If you look around you can get some real nice ones, that have been owned by older people for a long time, so like my mates you get excellent service history etc. And they allways look good with the whole JDM style going on. Try checking out some of the US forums, they are well into that over there.

Easy tiger, don't be throwing them kind of idea's in his head - Modding one car in the family is costly enough, I can't afford to do his as well. :lol:

Back