• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Text speak

At first, I thought you guys were kidding, then I finally went to look in the Announcements forum and found the posting on Text speak by Jermal.

:rolleyes:

What's the big deal? Seriously.

Anyway, instead of just using the gay icon or what not, please make it clear that it's actually a "Rule". I had no idea. I come here, look at a few posts, almost on a daily basis, but have completely missed this new rule.

Well, at least I haven't noticed I got banned yet. Thanks, mods! :D

To be fair if you get warned everytime it happens did you not think it might be a rule, or even if you missed that about 80% of the time someone uses text speak they get a nice link from a mod in the reply to the forum announcement, haven't you ever been curious and clicked it?

Besides the rule is great, this must be the only forum I use that has the rule in place and it's brilliant, posts here actually make sense and don't all appear to be written by 12 year old girls (discounting grammar and general spelling) :D.

Maybe i'm weird, I don't even use text speak in texts...

I don't go and look in every single forum on here. I probably ventured into the Announcements forum, maybe once or twice, and never came into Site Suggestions until now.

Yes, I'm lazy. I admit it.

I make the effort when sending emails from work to get the grammar, spelling and what not correct. When I come in here, it's just for a bit of fun and I let loose.

Anyway, I'm not putting up this post to debate or complain about the rule. I just wanted to ask the mods to make the warning clearer. I wasn't trying to be a pain and just ignoring all those "warnings". I didn't even think they were warnings!

Yes, nefor, I got a bit suspicious after maybe 4 or 5 "warnings". That is how I looked up at the Announcements forum and saw the post.

I don't go and look in every single forum on here. I probably ventured into the Announcements forum, maybe once or twice, and never came into Site Suggestions until now.

Yes, I'm lazy. I admit it.

I make the effort when sending emails from work to get the grammar, spelling and what not correct. When I come in here, it's just for a bit of fun and I let loose.

Anyway, I'm not putting up this post to debate or complain about the rule. I just wanted to ask the mods to make the warning clearer. I wasn't trying to be a pain and just ignoring all those "warnings". I didn't even think they were warnings!

Yes, nefor, I got a bit suspicious after maybe 4 or 5 "warnings". That is how I looked up at the Announcements forum and saw the post.

I have made the thread a global announcement now, so that is it viewable at the top of every forum :smt023

I think Al is working on a way of getting the thread sent as a pm to welcome all newbies with :)

I appreciate that some people will prefer to use the odd bit of text speak and I know for a fact you are not a half-wit as you work on Cambridge science park :)

But you don't though. Every other aspect of your posts is well-presented and legible. You just kept putting u instead of you. :confused:

Just being lazy. :p That's my "kicking back" and "letting loose". :lol:

I have made the thread a global announcement now, so that is it viewable at the top of every forum :smt023

I noticed that... and was wondering if I had been that blind to have missed that until just now! :lol:

I appreciate that some people will prefer to use the odd bit of text speak and I know for a fact you are not a half-wit as you work on Cambridge science park :)

Why, thank you! :p

Welcome to my world. :cool:

Same here can't make myself do it, maybe I'm just too old for it? Also think it's another part of the 'dumbing down' of society. What with computers and phones etc people are forgetting how to write and spell. I'm guilty of this too just bashing the keys then hitting ABC button, then it comes to writting by hand and I'm like "wait, how do I spell that??". Just need to keep trying to think and better ourselves, good English is important it distinguishes us from chavs and idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here can't make myself do it, maybe I'm just too old for it? Also think it's another part of the 'dumbing down' of society. What with computers and phones etc people are forgetting how to write and spell. I'm guilty of this too just bashing the keys then hitting ABC button, then it comes to writting by hand and I'm like "wait, how do I spell that??". Just need to keep trying to think and better ourselfs, good English is important it distinguishes ourselfs from chavs and idiots.

:lol:;)

:eek: yeh fair point, I wrote it on my way home in the back of a dark car using my phone!
I've edited the post. :)

The thread on our policy on text speak in the announcements section is a revised thread as the old thread was getting cluttered with discussion and off topic chat on the subject. I decided to therefore take the information from the original post to create a new thread and lock it, as we want users to be clear that we will not tolerate text speak on the forum.

The original thread which is now un-viewable by the general populace was created on 31-03-2008. We've been enforcing this stance for well over a year now and this is why we thought you were already aware of this Kamion, as you are a seasoned veteran on the forum :D.

The fact of the matter is this. Using correct English makes the board a lot more user friendly for all involved. Everyone should be able to read correct English, whereas not everyone can read or decipher text speak and it actually takes me longer to read a post where text speak is used. I'm not saying that we can't understand that "u" means "you", but letting the odd thing slide will soon lead to a lapse in policing and/or arguments when we pull people up on it. It is also beneficial to use correct English for our overseas members who may struggle with translating English enough, let alone having to try and work out what the hell that's supposed to mean.

That is all. :eek:

I don't pretend to be any good at english but i really try as i think its important. I find it really hard to be honest. I'm not a chav but i am sometime an idiot!! :rolleyes:

good shout dott, people rarely check the announcement section in a forum.

Best ideea since the facelift forum. Saw it tonight when I logged on and went for a look just incase there was something new from the old announcement.

:cool::cool:

To me it's something that shouldn't have to be done, people should just know not to use it anyway, but the fact it is is grand, can't stand it myself :)

One other thing, is it possible to create a 'subsitute' rule whereby if anyone types 'would of' it is automatically replaced with the correct 'would have' or 'would've', that's one of my pet hates!!

I am totally with you guys. When you see some of the rubbish banded around other forums and chat sites i am glad that this one maintains a high standard in its content. It is obvious from just looking at the posts there are some seriously intelligent people on here, with great ideas, text speak and poor English would just detract from that.

anyone else watch the build up to the great north run on sunday morning? sue barker was explaining how you could text in with your well wishes and messages of support to the runners. then she sternly said "and remember: no text speak" good work sue.

Just received this email from the Associate Director of Clinical Operations.

Sincere apologies for the short notice. Can U pls complete and return the following template information for PRM by EOD today. This template will now be used for all subsequent PRM Update (as FYI for you).

:lol::eek:

Back