• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

The Drift Brick Build Thread.

NYA

So, after looking around for a long time, I have finally found a drifter to build up. It's not your average Drift Build though as the car is slightly out of the ordinary.

ynyqa3e5.jpg

Yes that's right, it's a Lolvo!! It's a 740GL Turbo (thanks to Scruffy aka Mike for the model code). It's fully loaded with heated seats and front and rear screens, Bose sound system, leather etc.
At the moment it's running a safe 10psi which equates to around 215-220 bhp. As the bottom end is forged, it will happily run up to around 15psi just by using the manual boost controller. It has adaptive fuelling so it's as simple as removing the battery terminal, turn up the boost, re-attach and fire it up. Allow it to run for five minutes and drive. It's got a welded diff already, so it goes sideways very easily. It's just a case of turn in, clutch kick, and BOOM!!! sideways. It's also running a cheap filter that makes the best noise when it's coming on boost :lol:
I've got simple plans for it, lowering, paint, wheels and strip the interior. The Monaco seat I have will go in it along with a decent harness and that's about it. For the paint, I'm going for an old school hot rod style with matte paint and some hot rod type graphics, all rubbed back to give it an aged look.
I will update this thread with everything happening so if you like it, keep looking in, cheers;)

You know it John. It's a beast, goes sideways at the blink of an eye.

Rory, you'd be surprised how many drift barges there are bud, check out Huxleys V8 Powered BDC Car, it's a proper Tyre Slayer.

You see, a V8 will make most things shred tyres, a 250Bhp lump in a moon sized car.. won't momentum lead to catastrophe?

I commend the idea, any reason you went grandad spec rather than the more accepted route of S chassis etc?

Scott, the grandad spec was £300 with 11 months MOT and tax till July. I figure if I'm going to learn, I'd rather smash up a £300 Volvo than. £5k+ S Chassis. You'd be surprised how easy it is to slide, everything happens very slowly, so it's very controllable. Once I'm used to the actual feeling of a car sideways, then I'll upgrade. I'll be keeping the Teg obviously, but I just wanted a you to play with for a while and I've been looking at drifters for a long time now. Scratching that itch and all that jazz:lol:

Shifty, I hate it already, I keep stalling the bloody thing pulling away too slowly:lol: I'll get used to it.

I think you'd have more fun taking your DC5 on a trackday than messing about with this, but each to their own

I can see the fun in it for sure. Welded diffs blow massive knob on the road though. Tried doing a three-point turn yet? :lol:

Agree that you're better off learning in a shitbox. Plus it'll give you an anal knowledge that will let you control the car better. And your subsequently more expensive car too! Yay!

I think you'd have more fun taking your DC5 on a trackday than messing about with this, but each to their own

I can't drift a DC5 though can I? The whole idea of this is to have some stupid fun and give absolutely no fcuks. And that's what I'll be doing.

So today's progress went something like this.

a9uvu9ag.jpg

Four coils from each corner left me with this.

uqarape5.jpg

We don't need no stinking arch gap :lol:

The car is now sitting a damn sight lower, but looking infinitely cooler.

ny5ysehe.jpg

Also stripped all the rear of the car, I didn't actually realise it was a seven seated, the sixth and seventh bench being underneath a little fake shelf in the boot. The rear seats weighed an insane amount. We reckon I've dropped a good 75kilos in seats etc.

My dad's was a 7 seater. Back in the day he paid good money for those extra two seats to be retrofitted.

Amazing! I learnt to drive in one of these, pretty sure I got all four wheels off the ground once too.

A few years back I had a 340, did exactly what you're doing here; Welded diff, chopped springs, stripped interior with buckets, home made chassis bracing (worth it's weight, do it), cheapo intake and straight through exhaust. It was f**king dangerous. In the wet you could drift endlessly around mini roundabouts at 15mph.

You're going to love it mate!

Cheers Mr. West, vids will be coming once I get used to drifting it.

Jim, I love it already dude. People today were just staring in total confusion at it. I've done a little bit of Streeto so far, but I've yet to learn a hell of a lot. I panic too quickly and go straight for the middle pedal like a nancy :lol: Cheers for the bracing tip, my mate Henry's got ideas on a box cage for it already haha.

Back