• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TP takes Baby ROTREX to FI FWD win in Time Attack

As many of you know back in January 2008 Baby ROTREX was stolen and used in a Bank Robbery (for the second time). I finally bought her back from the insurance company in April and have slowly rebuilding her with help from friends, family and Paul Jones@TDi North. We finally got the car an MOT a few weeks ago. TP had play with her on the rollers and we were pleasantly surprised when we found she was remarkably healthy.

scan5.jpg

Gripped by slightly hysterical excitement, we decided to have a crack at Time Attack. Rob Barnes accepted our late entry and in a fortnight Baby ROTREX was converted from daily commute car to an out and out track car.

Last Wednesday we took to the track at Oulton Park, to see how she ran in the real world. As we lowered and stiffened the car up, the true potential became apparent - along with her weakness, by late morning the DBA gold disks began to seriously crack, (the brake caliper paint had long since burnt off).

I shot off to ABP to pick up a set of StopTech disks which Steve Grindle hurriedly fitted to the car. By the of the afternoon these too were done by the repeated and relentless onslaught of the DS3000 pads.

Giddy with excitement we returned to Warrington and set about planning for Saturday. Decals would have to bought and applied and something needed to be done about braking. In the end we couldn't get hold of any more suitable disks, so 2 set of standard Honda ones were purchased. Hopefully my Spoon calipers would be back from overhaul and we planned to to sacrifice one set in the morning with DS2500's and one set in the afternoon to 3000's when the action really begins.

Unfortunately we still had a problem with Spoons and we ended up having to put charred standard calipers back on.

Reasonably quiet morning with the car running as expected - TP didn't do as many laps as expected because of Fee Muir's accident and the session being stopped. When we looked at the brakes at lunchtime we decided we could probably get away with the same disks in the afternoon. You can imagine my displeasure when I opened up the Ferodo box and found annother set of 2500's instead of 3000's which caused me to make a hurried trip to Tweaks - bloody caravans.

Alls well thats end well and our objectives were achieved 1st in FWD Forced Induction and fastest FWD in the Super Battle final.TP duly picked up a Cosworth conrod and bottle of champagne. Ok we didn't have much competion at end as everyone else broke down, but we were delighted. More importantly the speed trap times showed that we were losing at least 5 seconds a lap due to our lack of brakes. More importantly my beloved Baby ROTREX had run without missing a beat or using any fluids other than V-Power - here she is hunkering down for Cascades

DSC_8839copy.jpg

The little car that could!

We're off to get some brakes tomorrow, AP 6 pots - we are not repeating last weekend again. Sadly the forum decals didn't arrive in time to go on, but they will be on for the rest of the series.

We will be doing all the rounds and hopefully driving to and from them without using the trailer - lets keep it real.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should go and rob a brake company instead of bank.
Great to see it on a track. Would love to do something like this when I have a bit of money one day.

:cool:.

Good read.

Is there a brake down of the spec somewhere to have a look see, big power on the rollers.

Great stuff Seano :cool:

Were you allowed to run your Spoon N1 exhaust or did you have to use the street muffler/oem back box?

Well done! I'm very pleased for you Seano, after all you have been through with this car you deserve some good fortune :cool:

Best of luck with it in the future!

With N1 on it was something ridiculous like 112dB so we ran the standard back box which was 98dB @5K

Approx Spec

ROTREX supercharger, custom TTS intercooler, radiator and induction
JE Pistons, ACL shells, BC rods, standard head, block guard, clockwise baffled sump, Toda tensioner, Hondata ECU, Walboro pump, 750CC injectors
Spoon 4->2, 2->1, B pipe, standard box
Tein Monoflex suspension, JDM anti rollbars
Lightened steel flywheel, 6 puck ceramic clutch
Coming soon
Knockhill - AP6 pot calipers, 330MM disks and big rear disk kit
Silverstone - fuel system 1000 CC injectors, gearbox rebuild, custom 3" exhaust, flames.

index.html

Went to source the brakes today, TP now deafened by supercharger noises and the curious noises the R26 makes ie Darth Vader in the boot, Brembo hiss and Turbo whine.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thread. Paul's decided to pick on someone elses car for TA this year then LOL!!

:lol:

Still a long way to go with the car to get it how we want but it's the first time I have had something that isn't compromised.
My Civic I didn't have the best brakes and only had T1R's, no 888's and with the GTR I refuse to strip the weight out plus have the drag box so its so far off boost coming out of a corner its stupid.
This is just perfect for what we need.
Should have seen the upset Exige owners complaining about the Silver Civic while we were setting it up last Wednesday!:twisted:

Big thanks to Sean for trusting me with the car and to TDi North for putting in the hours to get it sorted and setup really well and letting me loose on the dyno.

Be a load more power to get out of the car as soon as the uprated fuel system goes on and we can up the limiter. (restricted it to 8200 as maxing the injectors) and we get a good flowing exhaust on. Am expecting to release about another 40-50bhp!:twisted:

Of all the pictures of the car floating round the net, I think this one best sums up the car and is indeed one of my favourite pictures of the EP3

DSC_8873copy.jpg

Seano

How about this one:

Attachments

• RICH_SAMS_TA_RND1_162.jpg
    RICH_SAMS_TA_RND1_162.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 64
Feck me - TP did you realise that you are in joint 1st place overall?

You have more points after the 1st round than Olly Clarke! You have more points than anyone in Pro!

See here http://www.timeattack.co.uk/points table.html

We need to get down to South Wales to get the car back and then get our erses up to Knockhill - maybe replace the 3/4 synchro on the way at TDi.

Seano

Well the AP's weren't ready in time so we settled for these for the Knockhill round

picture.php

Given that its going to be wet, hopefully they won't be over used. We've had to change wheels to get them to fit. I've also been and got "Doris" West some shoulder pads this morning, so we are good to go.

Hopefully I will get the forum decals on tonight while Ste and Paul put the new rear wing on.

Seano

Back